Walmart building a store @ Teotihuacan??? WTF????

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm actually engraged! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
take your pick of articles here.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040903/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_wal_mart_ruins_1
Mexicans Battle Over Wal-Mart-Owned Store

Fri Sep 3, 2:58 PM ET

By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer

MEXICO CITY - A Wal-Mart-owned discount store rising a half-mile from the ancient temples of Teotihuacan has touched off a fight by a small coalition that doesn't want to see the big, boxy outlet from the top of the Pyramid of the Sun.

But with most people in the area supporting Wal-Mart, the group is waging a lonely battle for what it calls its defense of Mexico's landscape and culture.

The dispute in Teotihuacan — a town built next to the ruins of the 2,000-year-old metropolis — illustrates how the allure of low prices and U.S. lifestyles often wins out in Mexico, leaving traditionalists struggling to draw a line in rapidly shifting cultural sands.

"We'd rather not have Mickey Mouse on top of the Pyramid of the Moon," says Emmanuel D'Herrera, a business owner in Teotihuacan, 30 miles north of Mexico City.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=6149557&src=rss/worldNews&section=news
Locals Fight Wal-Mart Store Near Ancient Mexico Ruin
Fri Sep 3, 2004 05:23 PM ET

By Lorraine Orlandi
TEOTIHUACAN, Mexico (Reuters) - In the shadow of colossal pyramids left by a great Mexican civilization, a Wal-Mart rises, and some locals have gone to court to overturn its approval.

The sprawling warehouse-style Bodega Aurrera, a unit of Wal-Mart in Mexico, is due to open in December in Teotihuacan, the site of major archeological ruins outside Mexico City.

Workers are putting on the roof this week.

"It's not just that commerce in Teotihuacan will be affected. It affects first of all our soul, our identity," said local teacher Emanuel D'Herrera, who joined legal action to stop the store.

As a young father, he planted his newborn son's umbilical cord at the ancient temples for protection.

"We are Mexicans and very proud of our history," he said. "One of the landmarks of our history and culture is Teotihuacan."

Amid rising controversy, Mexico's government said a small pre-Hispanic altar was found buried under what will be the store's parking lot, located in a commercial area within the archeological zone.

The construction lies less than a mile from the gated tourist park housing the main ruins and is visible from atop the Pyramid of the Sun that has defined the skyline for 2,000 years.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/040903/w0903124.html
Mexicans battle Wal-Mart being built near ancient pyramids
03:24 AM EDT Sep 04
MEXICO CITY (AP) - A Wal-Mart-owned discount store rising less tha a kilometre from the ancient temples of Teotihuacan has touched off a fight by a small coalition that doesn't want to see the big, boxy outlet from the top of the Pyramid of the Sun.

But with most people in the area supporting Wal-Mart, the group is waging a lonely battle for what it calls its defence of Mexico's landscape and culture.

The dispute in Teotihuacan - a town built next to the ruins of the 2,000-year-old metropolis - illustrates how the allure of low prices and U.S. lifestyles often wins out in Mexico, leaving traditionalists struggling to draw a line in rapidly shifting cultural sands.

"We'd rather not have Mickey Mouse on top of the Pyramid of the Moon," said Emmanuel D'Herrera, a business owner in Teotihuacan, 50 kilometres north of Mexico City.

He said a tall sign will loom near the huge twin pyramids that draw hundreds of thousands of tourists annually, although a government-appointed archeologist disputes that.

And while the store is visible from atop the pyramid, so are many other modern businesses and houses.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1296985,00.html
Wal-Mart upsets cosmic balance of ruins

Protesters decry building of store near mysterious Mexican city of Teotihuacan as attack on heritage which could spoil rural valley

Jo Tuckman in Teotihuacan
Saturday September 4, 2004
The Guardian

From the top of the Pyramid of the Sun in the ancient ruined city of Teotihuacan, Emma Ortega blows a haunting ode on her conch shell and points out a half-built Wal-Mart supermarket in the valley below.
Her blood boils at the sight. "It is an attack on our heritage," fumes Ms Ortega, a colourful figure in a small but vocal protest movement against the construction of a Bodega Aurrera superstore, a Wal-Mart Mexico subsidiary, half a mile from the monuments. "It is an attack on our cosmic equilibrium."

The movement gives full rein to spiritualists, such as Ms Ortega, who believe Teotihuacan's pyramids and temples possess a special energy that Wal-Mart's presence threatens to throw off balance.

The protest is brought down to earth by traditional conservationists who fear that the development will encourage urban spillover from the capital 30 miles away and spoil the largely rural valley for ever. Then there are the local shopkeepers and stall owners from the small town of San Juan who cannot compete with the biggest retailer in the world.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's next? a Walmart between the Sphinx and the pyramids? a Walmart beside the Osirion? maybe beside some Mayan ruins in Pelenque or Tikal or Uxmal? how about on the Greek Necropolis? or how about the Hanging Gardens?

WTF???

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Walmart building a store @ Teotihuacan??? WTF?

[ QUOTE ]

5. Posting articles and Links
Articles from other sources are welcome. Links to other websites are welcome. Do NOT post the entire article on CPF! 9 times out of 10, this would be an infringement on copyright and CPF could be sued and shut down. Limit what you post to around 100 words and then post a link to the original source. Always post a link to the original source!

[/ QUOTE ]

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah yeah yeah
i hate that rule
y'know i looked into that sometimes ago after i had to delete a similar post and it's not a copyright infringement.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

but i should delete them 'cause they made this page unnecessarily wrong. but (yells so mods hear) not cause it's a copyright infringement! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif especially when the internet-distributor and author of the articles are clearly stated.

(not directing that @ you Bikr, just putting it out there)

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yea, I think it is a bit silly too. But personally, all legalities aside, I think it is better to put a preview of the article here on CPF with a link to the source. If it looks interesting, I will click the link. Otherwise I have only read a little, and saved some bandwidth.

Additionally, if you post the whole article, as you have done, it takes forever to scroll down to where the replies are.

Just my personal feelings and thoughts.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i concur
i'm going to play my "i was being inconsiderate 'cause it's almost 4AM" card!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

FWIW... there *IS* an issue with copyright infringement. I don't make this stuff up just to screw with your lives... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif ... Not all articles on the internet are free for republication or reprinting... some are, some aren't. And as most don't know the difference or could care less about trying to find out, it is safer just to not allow the complete reprinting of anything.

You can whine and complain all you want... at your own risk... see CPF Rules & FAQs #6... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is an AP "news" article. The terms for re-printing an AP news article are listed out on their website at:

http://www.ap.org/pages/about/terms.html

The 2 most important entries are the one where they remind you that they do retain copyright to the material therein, and this snippet:

[ QUOTE ]
You may not archive or retain any of the Materials accessed on this Web site without the express written permission of AP

[/ QUOTE ]

This implies, but doesn't specifically promise, that linking is OK. Like anything else their legal department will choose to enforce or not enforce the letter of their agreement as they see fit.

Putting the entire article into the bbs system here very obviously violates that provision in the agreement you agreed to by reading the article.

A couple of teaser quotes and a link is generally considered acceptable.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

All the legal stuff aside....

HOW IN THE HELL CAN SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN!?!?!?!?

I can hardly belive that within an hour of me are probably 20 Walmarts... It's just a wee bit ridicoulous!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sasha & James:
sorry Ma and Pa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
i wont do it again. or make a scene either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif

"I don't make this stuff up just to screw with your lives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon11.gif

"Like anything else their legal department will choose to enforce or not enforce the letter of their agreement as they see fit."
good point. i'm seriously not gonna do it again, 'cause i'm too lazy to write to them for permission. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif but back to Walmart invading ancient ruins! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

Joe:
i don't know how it can happen. but it's already been approved, and the local uproar can't overcome the state's approval.
not to mention the fact that the Walmart is almost done being built. i doubt they'll take it down now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
but hey, how enlightening and spiritual will it be to climb the Pyramid of the Sun and see the giant blue and white Walmart sign?