New ARC4 runtime chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Retired*
I have an ARC4+ Rev.2 and wanted to see how long it could possibly hold Level 1.

So I took a bag of ice and set it on top the ARC4, in order to keep it cool. The bag of ice was filled with water, to aid in thermal transfer. I let it cool down for 15 minutes before turning on. During the entire runtime, the ARC4 body ever exceeded 25C. The ice was not on the flashlight long enough to cause significant cooling of the battery, and the battery seems to self heat anyhow (internal resistance losses of the battery cause it to heat, amongst other things).

This way the Thermal Protection of the ARC4 never kicks in, and it will try and hold the Levels, until the battery cannot support the current/voltage requirements to hold the current level.

The test started at Level 1.

This data is not smoothed or doctored, so if you look carefully, you can see the battery even recover a bit after a level drop, which causes the brightness to come up a bit.

I used this meter ExTech Heavy Duty Light Meter for my measurements. Notice it has a PC interface, so the datapoints are actually the Lux readings from the meter.

The measurements are taken every three seconds. The readings are at a 1 Meter distance. The lens was freshly cleaned, and there was at no time any condensation on the flashlight.

Note, runtime will be shorter than shown in TIN's graphs, as in his tests the ARC4 quickly kicks down to lower levels due to heating, which extends the time at the lower levels (e.g. Level 1 kicks down rather quickly, which depletes the battery less).

arc4rice.jpg

Due to the long time in the above graph, I decided to expand the ARC4 Level 1 section of the plot. At 27 minutes, you can see a line dropping vertically, which is where it kicks down to Level 2.

I did not use any datapoint smoothing options or trend lines to make it look smoother than it really is. The light output is really moving around like this, as an emitter on a heatsink shows a rather smooth plot. This amount of wiggle is *not* noticeable to the eye, but it is there.

arc4ric2.jpg

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie, over 900lux!! that's the highest i've seen for an Arc4. i guess mine is probably half that 'cause of my longer runtime.
BTW with my runtime, i grabbed an icecube in my hand every now and then before switching hands to help the arc cool down.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nube, very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you have an first to test also?

Also, I assume this is with primary batteries and not Li-ion?

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
4sevens said:
Nube, very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you have an first to test also?

Also, I assume this is with primary batteries and not Li-ion?

[/ QUOTE ]

His is a first. I suppose you meant Rev 1?
Good info Jar, you're always very thorough.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh my bad.. i thought it was a second /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif you meant rev2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Retired*
This is a Rev.2

ARC said it was a very efficient and bright one as compared to the norm. In my own comparision tests, it is the brightest of three ARC4's and most efficient I have seen to date. Efficiency being based on input *power* draw and output brightness (which covers both the converter in the ARC4, and the Luxeon LED).

It pulls 1A at 3.0 or 3.2V, I forget which I tested it at. Will go back and take a look, after another runtime test finishes (want to keep it perfectly dark in there for the test). This is the norm for ARC4+ Rev.2 as I understand.

Here is a photo of getting ready for the first run I did:
arc4ice.jpg

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug, let me send you my rev1, i really want you to check it out and maybe graph it. you're probably right about the lower power of it but i would like to be sure.

*Retired*
I'd love to check it out, but at 5 bux a whack for these batteries, and running each test twice to be sure, and sometimes a third (especially on the ARC4), in case of a fluke, it gets really expensive fast. Especially for multiple lights and converters...

After I'm done with this stuff, I'm either going back to my NiMH or hopefully JSB will get the new r123s. I got spoiled running zillions of runtimes using NiMH, since they are free in comparison...

paulr

Flashaholic
Why on earth are you paying 5 bucks for batteries? Surely you know where to get them for less.

I wonder if the jumping around reveals something about the type of a-d conversion happening in the light.

simbad

Enlightened
You guys can buy the batteries very cheap there in US, here in the old world we pay 8,50 euros ($10) for a Duracell, 4,75 euros($5,60) for a Panasonic, Energizer,or Kodak, these are of course supermarket prices.Surefire batteries only can be ordered in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.