gift flash

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to give a friend a good LED flashlight but don't know where to begin. I don't mind spending $100 or a bit more, but also don't mind spending less if less would do. He is a good engineer and appreciates good functional design and can recognize nonsense at a glance, if that helps.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I be the first to welcome you to the CPF? Well, then, WELCOME, fhapgood!

You should receive numerous suggestions but I'll start. Arc LSH, the new Inovas, or a combination of a coin cell keyring light, a small LED like the UKE 2L, some CR123 cells if you get him a light that uses them. There's a bunch of good lights to choose from that I haven't mentioned but others will fill you in on what's hot.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
EternalLight Marine...he'll love all the different functions. He will appreciate that Eternalight was thinking "out of the box" when they designed that series of flashlight.....not a battery holding tube with a light at one end.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard. May I ask what he's doing with it? The Arc LSH is a good starter, if you want to go Luxeon, or maybe an Arc 4+, like one of the ones in the B/S/T Lights area would do well. I've personally found the Nuwai Quantum III lights that ViKi and Mark 2 have been selling to be a good deal for the money, and I've found them useful as an EDC in a variety of situations (was working in my computer case this morning with one).

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
pm6 led, inova x5 or xo, arc AAA and ls, perhaps a surefire L1...
For a hundred bucks, I think you'll find something great.
Oh yeah, Welcome to cpf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
100 bucks for a friend?!? have you been lurking for long? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
UKE ELED 4AA from BrightGuy. Buy a 4W head from the Rechargable UKE 4AA for a light which gives 4D+ Maglit performance but is only a little larger than a mag liight, or 11 hours on 4AAs. It's a killer combo.

Turt

Enlightened
Nuwaii Q-III... i think this is the light is truly the most bang for your buck. Great quality as well.

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
> Welcome aboard. May I ask what he's doing with it?

He lives out in the country, so I guess he might be using it when walking around outside in the nightime.

> I've personally found the Nuwai Quantum III lights that ViKi and Mark 2 have been selling to be a good deal ...

How do I get in touch with these gentlepersons?

> I've found them useful as an EDC in a variety of situations

EDC?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
fhapgood said:
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
> Welcome aboard. May I ask what he's doing with it?

He lives out in the country, so I guess he might be using it when walking around outside in the nightime.

> I've personally found the Nuwai Quantum III lights that ViKi and Mark 2 have been selling to be a good deal ...

How do I get in touch with these gentlepersons?

> I've found them useful as an EDC in a variety of situations

EDC?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's walking out at night, then you might want to consider the Inova X03 - it's got a good runtime, the range should be acceptable, and it's fairly hefty. It's about $79.95 or so from Meridian Tactical, though the T3 may also be a good choice. Otherwise, the Nuwai Quantum-III, available from the B/S/T Lights forum on this same board would serve you - both ViKi and Mark2 have a few kicking around still. It's very pocketable, unlike the previously listed Inovas, but its battery life is closer to three hours total (1 hour and 40 mins at max output) with more of a flood that goes out about 50-70 feet usable versus the X03 and T3 (whose tighter beams allow 175' throw, IIRC).

EDC stands for 'Every Day Carry', IIRC, which is another way of saying 'a standard light you pack with you for when you go out', as compared to specialized lights you'd use for certain functions.

Overall, you don't have to spend $100 for a good LED light these days, thanks to companies like Nuwai and Inova, though the Surefire lights can't really be beat for overall quality. However, if you're willing to wait, Elektrolumens also has some nice lights in the form of the FT-3C, the upcoming Zorch (a 3W 1xCR123 light around the size of the Quantum III) and the XM-3 (a light which probably compares well to the L5 in size, but uses 2AA batteries).

It should be noted that most all the lights I've named save for the FT-3C and the XM-3 use CR123 lithium batteries - only the latter two use normal alkalines or NiMH batteries of the C-cell and AA-cell types. This means that cost is a factor in most of them, as far as batteries go - but the lithium-powered ones generally offer more output and in a smaller package than the equivalent NiMH or alkaline-powered ones.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
<100, i'd suggest an E2e. If you're willing to spend $20 more, then you can get an L4 from B/S/T here. Personally, I think that its worth the $$ spent for SF lights, esp since you mentioned that he appreciates well engineered stuff.

Other suggestions, SL Twintask series of lights (versatility), XM3 (runs 2AAs), Eternalight (as Roy mentioned, is a great all rounder light), just to name a few... Oh, don't forget an Arc AAA as well to get him started on his flashaholism! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
My favorite incandescent, for everyday use, is the Surefire E2O. It's size, workmanship, and long runtime make it a winner! If your friend is an LEO, then move up to the E2E-HA.

I have given all the adult and adolescent members of my extended family the Infinity Ultra G, available at http://www.countycomm.com/ for $14.50, with a battery and pocket clip. You have to access the site through their master page, on the Dealer's forum, in order to get that price. It's small size and light weight, makes it probable, it will be on hand when it's needed.

oldgrandpajack

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened
The Nightcutter 5C Sport is a terrific light for the money, less than $30 and you can get free laser engraving with his name. With the leftover cash you could pickup an Arc AAA or a Peak LED Solutions keychain light as well.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Ultra-G for compact. $15

UK 4AA eLED for a great walking light. $25

One of the Surefire LED's if you really want to impress him! Don't have any myself, but I have E2e and it's quality stuff!

Check some reviews out to get a better idea of what to expect performance wise from whatever you choose.

Mark

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about two lights? Try the QIII mentioned above or the Zorch (Do a search on here).

But also get a keychain light. About the size of a quarter, are the Photon lights. For gadgetry, get a Photon III or Photon Freedom (latest model). You can get the covert model, which I use. The covert model doesn't shine light back into your eyes. These lights have dimmable outputs, blink modes, and much more. Amazing for such a small light, and more features then any other production light I know except for the eternalights.

BTW, I think the Eternalights are neat, but are outdated because they aren't using Luxeons yet. Make an Eternalight with three or four three watt Luxeons, and you have one amazing light though.