New LedLights Laser POT location

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know where the pot is located on the newer lasers with the plastic buttons?

Thanks Mac

Roga_Danar

Newly Enlightened
I have heard that it is still under the button, but covered by a layer of black plastic?? I'm really not too sure, but I thought I read that somewhere on here. Is your Leadlight one of the ones with the red LED light that goes on when the laser is operating? If so those have some type of output limiting circuitry.

Someone more knowledgable will be able to help you out more.

Roga_Danar

Newly Enlightened
I think you have the same model I do. I have yet to take my laser apart so someone who has can help you much more than I can. Anyone chime in here

Myx

Newly Enlightened
just popped the button off my leadlight today........ just out of curiousity. can see what looks like a tiny variable resistor through a small circular hole in the plastic.... I assume this is the "pot" ? No idea how I could manage to modify its position, as its hard to even see what it is without a magnifying glass....

Uisgdlyast

Newly Enlightened
does it look like a "pot"entiometer? You need some jewelers screwdrivers or the eyeglass kind to turn it. I was able to move the hole to get a better postition.

The screwdriver set can be bought at Marc's for like 3$

Myx

Newly Enlightened
I found a small screwdriver...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Managed to turn it... first turned it clockwise; and the dot and beam became dimmer... turned anticlockwise, obviously had opposite effect....

although, even when id managed to turn it to the point where the dot/beam was brightest...... it didnt really look any brighter than it was when I had started....

Maybe its just a psychological thing (I remember the dot brighter than it was?), and I should have turned it counter-clockwise first....

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you remove the button?? Can it be put back on easily? Myx was your button black plastic?

Mac

gorn

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cmacclel said:
How did you remove the button?? Can it be put back on easily? Myx was your button black plastic?

Mac

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same model you do. I used a knife with a real good point to pry my button off. It is held in place by a sticky clear O ring. The POT is in front of the switch. By turning mine counterclockwise I got a significant increase in beam brightness. Once you are happy with your beam you just stick the button back on the O ring.

Myx

Newly Enlightened
I used a razor-blade style knife to "pluck" the plasic button out of the shell/case....

Be carefull with the potentiometer though...mine was fine for a few seperate "adjustments" i made to it over a few days.... but today, unsuspectingly.... I snapped the top half clean off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

I was trying to vary the pot's position to measure current draw @ different mW outputs... when it just broke off and fell into the case. I took the batteries out and this miniscule bit of metal flew out with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

I've had to strip the laser down fully, so I could gain access to the board..... to try and attempt a repair tommorow / assess any potential replacement part I need.

We all run the risk eh?