LED modifying Questions

LoveCraft

Newly Enlightened
Hey all have a few questions?

Im not up to scratch with modding flashlights but I had planed on trying out a simple mod I saw at Flashlight Reviews. The article calle "PR Bulb Base LED Modification" is basically a normal bulb drilled out then three LEDs soldered in.

I've got 3 torches Im thinking of trying this out on, but im not sure if it would work on all of them, or what I need for that matter. They range from 1.5v to 6 volts. Do I have to take this into account… any help would be great thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
give me a link to this mod. If you want a nice easy mod, KevinL has a link in his profile for a OA4D modding cookbook. It's basically a walkthrough of how to add a LuxIII to a 4-D MagLite. PRetty darn good stuff and all his pics and things make it very very easy.

Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the type of mod you describe is a very low light flood-light type of mod... so depends on what your intent is regarding the lights.. you want bright walking around lights.. or long long long runtime lights?

If you want wow you want luxeon.. upgrade won't be the simple type you describe.. but if you want a really long time running light that will light a map in a tent at night, the pr bulb mod is a good idea.

LEDs require a pretty specific voltage (depends on the LED)... so how to mod the light is extremely dependent on the two factors.. what LED/s and what battery voltage (and type).

-awr