Looking for bright white LEDs but not LS

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
Hi,

I am looking for white LEDs that are brighter than the 5mm ones but smaller than the LS.

Does any body make something like the Super Flux but in white? I am looking for something around 100 mA current and the light output of 3 to 5 5mm LEDs

Thanks

moraino

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Schroeder:
Hi,

I am looking for white LEDs that are brighter than the 5mm ones but smaller than the LS.

Does any body make something like the Super Flux but in white? I am looking for something around 100 mA current and the light output of 3 to 5 5mm LEDs

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may not existed.

My LS does have low settings which draws about 60mA. It can be changed.

The front switch is the low setting which has a resister in the circuit. The back switch will bypass the resistor and gives it a full blast and draws close to 1A with 3 fully charged NiMh. http://photos.yahoo.com/pilgrim1956

vwp

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If you only intend to drive it at 100mA why not use a Luxeon Emitter? Its only slightly bigger than 5mm LEDs and because of the low current, heat shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Jonathan

Enlightened
Vishay makes a family of 4 terminal 'spider' LEDs similar to the Lumileds Superflux devices. The family includes a full range of colors, including white.

Vishay Telefunken Spider LEDs

Newark Electronics carries these LEDs, and their web page shows stock for part TLWW7600.

At least based on the datasheets, these devices are not nearly as efficient at the Luxeons; according to the Vishay web page one should expect 1.2 lumen of output at 50mA in at 4.3V...with a Luxeon, one would expect at least twice this light output at this current, with lower voltage. On the plus side, these are much less expensive; about a buck each.

-Jon

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far.

The Vashay is getting close but has a wider angle than I want for this project but I will order a few for another project.

I have ruled out the LS because I don't have room for the optics. I only have about 13mm for everything. I could use 3 5mm LEDs if I really have to but it would take a little filing and I would have to match them.

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
The Luxeon w/o optics is too much of a flood. Where can I find a few 6400 Nichias? I think that I might have to file the lip off of 2 or 3 and superglue them togeather.

I have a few of the Vasheys on order but they are too broad of a beam too.