• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Aleph 2x123 and Pila compatibility

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I couldn't find the thread where the discussion is regarding the Pila 168S and the fact that it is snug and not free in the Aleph 2x123 power pak. As I had stated somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif , I had no problem with samples of the Copia, WarGamer and other Li-Ion cells of the 168S size; only the Pila 168S.

Someone posted that the label could be removed and I just decided to give it a try. Well I can only speak for the one single sample of a 168S that I have but not only was it easy to remove the Pila label, know what I found underneath? A Copia label!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Now with Pila label removed, the cell drops right into the 10 different tubes I tried. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Needless to say, YMMV.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a few posts down- HERE
I'm glad my memory about the wrapper was correct!

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don:

That's interesting! I was just going to post in that other thread how I was able to hold the tube with a 11/16" collet in my lathe with only .0008" runout for machining! Peeling the label is much easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

This is probably why Pila frowns upon removing the label, hey? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Which brings up another question. Are Copia's cheaper that Pila's? J. S. Burly asked Pila if they'd be interested in making 123 Li-Ion's and they declined! He's having such a problem with his source. I wonder what would have happened if he asked Copia?

Who sells Copia cells?

Darell

Flashaholic
No way! I think you may have voided the battery warranty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That's awesome news.

Now I just need a 168. And an Aleph.

jtice

Flashaholic
So,,, the Pilas dont fit huh?
Thats a disapointment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I really dont want to go ripping off the labels off my Pilas.
I thought you werent even supposed to do that to batts?
Dont some batts, have a negitive body? and that end up shorting something out?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Guys,
I can only report on my findings with one sample! YMMV!!!

jtice,
Under the Pila wrapper is the same Copia label that is on all the Copia's I have. THis is not the case of stripping a cell bare but a case of removing a second label off the first! Again, I have no idea how many Pila's are in this second wrapped state. I would suggest that a Pila that was wrapped only once would fit with no issues! The 150S samples I have fit fine in the tubes and I would guess that they may be a single wrapper item. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Bill, with a 11/16 collet, you are bearing against the shoulder of the tube so I can see where you have a good square grab on the part! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
So,,, the Pilas dont fit huh?
Thats a disapointment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I really dont want to go ripping off the labels off my Pilas.
I thought you werent even supposed to do that to batts?
Dont some batts, have a negitive body? and that end up shorting something out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for O.T. but peel a label on a Duracell AA alky. (The cylindrical OD is +!) The only thing keeping the suckers from shorting in a non-anodized metal flashlight is the label! Now imagine the old flashlight with front slide switch bouncing around in the toolbox in the back of your pick-up, or the plastic light with a burr on the front-to-rear inside metal strip in your bag at the airport. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Regular 123's and CR2's are (-) on the OD and OK to peel, unless the light is tail-switched like most of mine.

Larry