KL1 off centered help

dtsoll

Enlightened
Hello Folks,
I recently bought a KL1 which is very white and looks like it is possibly a HD. The only problem is the round hotspot is offcentered in the secondary square part of the beam. (did that make sense?) Can I fix this by loosening the bezel and tapping it? I tried to loosen it with my hands but it must have loctite on it. Is a strapwrench my next move? I just don't want to mar the anodize by clamping or something. Any help is appreciated. Thank You!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can center it but it's a trial and error affair. Forget about tapping it to coax it to center. Once you tighten the first bezel ring after you center it, it will most likely throw it off center again. I usually get it to center, push down on the pyrex to hold position and then carefully tighten the bezel. You might have to try this a few times. As far as removal, it is sealed shut and you will need a strap wrench to loosen it. Be carefull about not loosening the middle part. The head is in three pieces. Make sure you only loosen the part holding the pyrex lens in. If you see the middle part turning, STOP. Going any further will cause wires to break and then you're gonna be calling me to repair it and I hate repairing those things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Secure it in a rubberized vise to make the task easier. Good luck.

CM

K-T

*Moderator*
Putting some heat -gently- onto the bezel might help to soften the glue (whatever was used) and might make it easier to remove the correct bezel part as described above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dtsoll

Enlightened
Thanks Cris,
I may just leave it alone and not risk it, It works fine just not perfectly centered. My perfectionist side sometimes gets the best of me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I've got a KL1 I need to send you someday anyway, I guess I don't need to make it two!!!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have one of the newer KL1's, odds are that you do have a high dome in it. I'd yank the optic and drop an IMS reflector in it. You'll get a better beam and you won't have to worry about that annoying centering issue.