City at night from space

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted this earlier in the "earth from space thread" and thought I might post this again here.
ISS006-E-36913.jpg

Anyway,anyone have a night picture of where they live as well?

Looks like I'm in a pretty dark area.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
yuandrew,

What is the name of the most brightly lit street in your picture? The one in the center of the picture that runs Southeast and appears to go to Disneyland?

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub Umbra, that is a freeway (interstate 5)
i thought hollywierd would look alot brighter, maybe the picture was taken on a monday night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
The arrow pointing to Hollywood is pointing close to the Hollywood Sign up in the Santa Monica mountains by Griffith park. The actual Hollywood is just below the arrow.

Most of Chino Hills (where they put the lable) is Chino Hills state park. There is pretty much no light up in those hills. Judging from the picture and a map I have of the city, the brightest street in Chino Hills is Chino Hills Parkway running about southwest. You can also see Grand Ave which runs east/west and a really bright spot at the intersection of Grand and Chino Hills Parkway (That's the parking lot of Stater Bros). The third brightest street is Peyton Dr running North and South and that complets the rough circle that the three major streets create. Mostly, the three or for bright spots you see along the streets at intersections are supermarket parking lots.

Now below the "loop" are residential streets that don't show up very clearly but if you look closely, you can see very faint lines of the streets.
Most of the streetlights in Chino Hills are Full-Cutoff fixtures so almost all the light you see is just reflecting off the streets.
I live just about 1/2cm above the "i" in "Hills"

(This pic was taken on March 10, 2003 at around 1AM Pacific Time)

Latest posts