Flying after "exploding flashlight" incident

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Flying after \"exploding flashlight\" incident

I know I'm not the only Flashaholic concerned about flying with lights after the exploding flashlight incident at LAX. If anyone plans to fly with their lights in the near future it might be useful to hear about your experiences, positive or negative.

Brightnorm

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Re: Flying after \"exploding flashlight\" incident

I went from Phoenix AZ to Portland Or a couple weeks ago. I wanted to show off my lights to a co-worker there. I had a briefcase that had a piece of styrene foam hollowed out for each one. The briefcase was checked luggage. The lights were:
EL 4D Tri-Star, EL Blaster 3, EL Hyper Blaster EL Blaster JR. EL FT-3C. 2AA mini mag with TerraLux, 2AA mini mag with MadMax lite, EL XM-2.
In my carry on I had a 2AA mini mag with BadBoy 650.
In the checked lights, I put an insulator between the batteries so they couldn't get turned on. I put a note to the TSA inpsectors inside with the lights explaining how to make one work if they needed and gave them my cell phone #. Oddly enough, I didn't get one of those "your bag has been searched" notices either direction. I had no trouble with the BB650 in my carry on either. To sum it up, I had absolutely no trouble.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMHO, flashlights should be allowed because they may save lives if the unthinkable occurs.

Saaby

Flashaholic

You could call the airport. Explain to them that some people travel with several cameras, you collect and travel with several flashlights. Explain that this has not been trouble in the past but you're concerned because of the recent explosion and ask what they suggest.

*Retired*

How many unthinkable incidents have you seen over the years, where Boeing aircraft have crashed, where any of the passengers have survived? I've only heard of survivors in the movies...

paulr

Flashaholic

I hope those Elektrolumens flashlights don't actually say "Blaster" on the outside. It might give the wrong impression to TSA goons...

Yes, plane crashes occasionally have survivors. I remember the famous Air Florida crash (Boeing 737 crashed into a bridge in Washington DC) had a few survivors.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just a couple thoughts, Newbie: why bother having seat cushions that double as floatation devices? Why NOT carry a very small light that MAY offer usefulness beyond just being a convenient tool? Why do we EDC at all? It would be a shame if lack of a light might cause injury or worse.

BobVA

Enlightened

I went from DC to Vegas Sunday with a FF2, SF Aviatior A2, four spare 123's and a Swiss Solar light. No probs or questions. All in carry on, pockets.

Cheers,
Bob

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Reminds me of when I used to fly often.. the safety briefing would always end with an introduction to the lifejacket underneath the seats, and they mention "There is a whistle (on one shoulder) and a light (on the other) if you need to attract attention". I wonder.. I hope the lights don't attract the negative kind of attention nowadays /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

I wonder what kind of light that is, I suspect probably a long-lifetime, stable battery chemistry, but I would rather have my C2+A19+P91 if I need to *GET* some rescuer's attention. 200 lumens and a momentary tailswitch.. mmm goodness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BobVA

Enlightened

...and back to DC from Vegas this morning. Again, no issues with the lights.

Cheers,
Bob

sithjedi333

Enlightened

I just flew to Kauai and back over the holiday. They didn't notice my Fire~Fly II on the way there or back. I had several CR123A with me as well. Everything was carryon.

My advice is... be nice and patient with them, and they will treat you likewise. That approach has never failed me so far.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Just returned from Florida to help my parents deal with the post-Frances aftermath and the pre-Ivan preparations.

Carried in checked luggage: SF E2e, SL Jr, Opalec-Minimag, Ultra-G and batteries; on person: VIP, modded KL1-E2e, Arc AAA. No problems either way. Thankfully, also no theft either way, and just last weekend was hearing new reports of TSA-related problems in that area.

daloosh

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr,

No, the Blasters don't say Blaster. At least my Jr and Hyper don't. Good point.

NewBie,

There are many things that a passenger may do to enhance his chance of surviving plane crashes. While there are no guarantees, accepting the fact that you are absolutely helpless and totally at the mercy of fate probably won't help you much in a real emergency.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
...There are many things that a passenger may do to enhance his chance of surviving plane crashes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sub,

If you have any tips or advice please post them. I was in a private plane crash years ago and through sheer dumb luck (DUMB pilot) we weren't seriously injured but it was very frightening; I remember feeling absolutely helpless as we were going down.

Brightnorm

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are some tips for aircrash survival: wear your seatbelt--tightly; wear only heat resistant clothes--wool, leather, nomex, kevlar (I know, really practical)--not nylon, acrylic, rayon or polyester (including athletic shoes) and avoid clothes with metal fasteners, zippers, eyelets, snaps and anything else metal (like jewelry)against your skin. Most commercial aircrashes seem to kill everybody aboard so I'm not sure if survivability is really an issue. With private pilots, don't fly with anybody you don't trust with your life.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lightraven,

I need to type faster.

[ QUOTE ]
Brightnorm said:
Sub,

If you have any tips or advice please post them....

[/ QUOTE ]

My pleasure. I used to fly a lot when I was younger. Flying in and out of Third World countries made me kind of twitchy on this subject. These tips I've gathered are pretty much for all types of planes but for some it will be obvious it it's for big ones or little ones. I'm sure that by the end of this, some of you will be sure that I'm really nuts.

1.__ Look at a map of the terrain your flight will cover. Dress for the most inhospitable place on the route. If you'll be flying over mountains and snow on your way into LA, wear a goose down parka over your suit -- if you have to wear a suit. Think about what you may need to get you out or to keep you alive while you wait for help. Just a little bit can mean the difference between life and death, especially here in the States where you can be sure that help will be mobilizing right away. It would be a shame to freeze to death in the two hours it takes to get to you, as an example. Of course, you may be killed on impact. But what if you weren't?

I'd want a big hat if I was crossing the desert and a way to cover my skin. I might even put lip balm in my pocket. Feeling prepared is an important aspect to survival.

Anyway, think about what you should be wearing if you were to crash at the worst point on your route. That's where it will happen.

2.__ When you go to your seat in a jet, count the number of rows of seats between you and the nearest exits, both fore and aft. Quite a few deaths have occurred on the ground, while the plane was on fire. Believe it or not, 10% of passengers are so stupid that they will fish around for their bag in the overhead compartment and block the isle for everyone else while the plane is being evaced! You may not be able to see for smoke. <Heresy!>DO NOT PULL OUT YOUR LIGHT! There isn't time and from here on in you'll probably need both hands if you're going to get out alive.</Heresy!> If you can't get to the isle or the line stops for any reason you must act quickly. Go right over the seat-backs to the nearest exit, and get out! You will know how many seats you'll have to cross if you counted them when you got onto the plane. Traveling with family? Your kids would probably love this game if you prepared them for it before flight day. Give them code words for which way to go in an emergency.

3.__ No matter how long the flight is, never take off your shoes! No matter what mis-adventure strikes your flight you'll need your shoes. SEE item #1. Even if it's just a wussy evac on ground because of a false alarm, you'll wish you could have found your shoes before your bare feet hit the 145 degree tarmac of that Mombasa Airport runway.

4.__ No matter how long the flight is, never take off your seat-belt! If you are to have a chance of surviving anything you must remain as intact as possible. Broken bones and concussion from being throw all round the craft will put you at a disadvantage when it's time to evac -- let alone whatever must follow. Preserve yourself. I won't even dwell on explosive decompression -- which usually only kill those without their belts buckled. On long flights just loosen your belt a little when you need to sleep. It's a drag, I know, but wouldn't your kids like to see their dad again?

5.__ Don't let yourself be separated from the things that you will need if you crash. If you need a parka, don't fold it up and put it on an empty seat next to you. Un-zip it. Slip it off your shoulders and sit on it. Tie the waist drawstring of the parka to your belt when you go to sleep. Don't have a belt? You're gonna die. Just kidding. Even trivial airplane mishaps can happen very quickly and can instantly separate you from your gear. Try to keep that from happening.

6.__ If you need any meds they should be in your pocket. Enough for 4-7 days, and not just the duration of the flight. All of your other precautions will be for naught if you don't have your 'mission critical' meds.

7.__ Don't get drunk. Try to stay hydrated. You may need it.

These rules all apply to wacky helicopter day tours, etc. If you fly out of Quito, Equador over alpine mountains on a three hour tour in your shorts and there's any kind of mishap, you will be at fault more than anyone else if you die from exposure. A three hour tour....

That's all I can think of for now, but I know there's more. I'm sure that some will identify with this.

*Retired*

Here are a few crashes:

Rank Fatalities Date Location Carrier Aircraft_Type Photo
1 2752* 09/11/2001 New York City, New York American /United Airlines B767 / B767
2 583 03/27/1977 Tenerife, Canary Islands Pan Am / KLM B747 / B747
3 520 08/12/1985 Mt. Osutaka, Japan Japan Air Lines B747
4 349 11/12/1996 New Delhi, India Saudi / Kazastan B747 / Il76
5 346 03/03/1974 Bois d' Ermenonville, France Turkish Airlines DC10
6 329 06/23/1985 Atlantic Ocean West of Ireland Air India B747
7 301 08/19/1980 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabian Airlines L1011
8 290 07/03/1988 Persian Gulf Iran Air A300
9 276 02/19/2003 Shahdad, Iran Islamic Revolution's Guards Co. Il-76MD
10 273 05/25/1979 Chicago, Illinois American Airlines DC10
11 270 12/21/1988 Lockerbie, Scotland Pan American World Airways B747
12 269 09/01/1983 Sakhalin Island, Russia Korean Airlines B747
13 265 11/12/2001 Belle Harbor, Queens, New York American Airlines A300
14 264 04/26/1994 Komaki, Japan China Airlines A300
15 261 07/11/1991 Jeddah, Saudi Arabia Nationair/charter Nigeria Airways DC8
16 257 11/28/1979 Mt. Erebus, Antarctica Air New Zealand DC10
17 256 12/12/1985 Gander, Newfoundland, Canada Arrow Airways DC8
18 234 09/26/1997 Buah Nabar, Indonesia Garuda Indonesia Airlines A300
19 230 07/17/1996 Off East Moriches, New York Trans World Airlines B747
20 229 09/02/1998 Off Nova Scotia, Canada Swissair MD11

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sub Umbra, you may type slower but you go the distance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I can't fault any of your advice. When I flew a Cessna from San Diego to Las Vegas, I wore a nomex suit and packed a desert survival kit with plenty of H2O. I filed a flight plan. For better or worse, the pilot is like an ER surgeon--he can save you or doom you. When the pilot is an Al Qaeda terrorist or suicidal EgyptAir pilot. . .
My dad had a his single engine go out on him once. He began emergency procedures and got the sucker started again.
I will add a few more tips for small aviation:
Observe for the pilot. Actively look out your side for other aircraft or even obstacles at low altitude and warn the pilot. Don't assume he is aware of them. If he is a properly trained pilot, he won't be insulted. If he is insulted, never go up with him again. Learn to use the radio to call for help. The pilot may become incapacitated in the air and you need to know what to do. Also learn how the ELT works. Pilots are supposed to brief passengers during preflight on this. If he doesn't, ask. A really good pilot will even give right seat passengers a very quick lesson in how to fly the plane. The basics take 5 minutes to explain. Never, never pressure the pilot to "get there." Pilots will push the safety envelope to get where they are going--John F. Kennedy Jr. Reassure their ego that you respect them more if they stay on the ground during unfavorable conditions. There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. Surviving a crash is possible, but its far easier to avoid one in the first place.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are a few more crashes. A Google search for the following terms (the entire line, just as it is) will give an interesting list of results:

"airliner | jet crash" "..300 survivors"

EDITED to drop UBB Google search URL. (UBB didn't like the URL, sorry.)

Barring a few false hits, the results of the search readily demonstrate that people survive jet airliner crashes with a surprising degree of regularity.

Yes, a preponderance of people in jets die when they crash. No one has said otherwise. My point is threefold:

1.__ Death is not anywhere near a certainty in a jet crash.

2.__ Since some people do survive some crashes it is not always a wasted effort to try to survive.

3.__ If you are convinced that you cannot survive a jet crash and have given no thought and made no preparations to do so, your only chance will be dumb luck, which does nothing to enhance the admittedly bad odds that you start out with if you are unlucky enough be in a crash in the first place.

Those involved in crashes with a chance of survivability will probably fare better if they have some kind of a plan. Often post incident interviews show that some of the survivors had given crashing some thought and/or had a crash plan.

In more remote parts of the world where the only air transport available is often prop-driven and accordingly, much slower, passenger attitude will play an even greater role in crash survival. Much greater.

In any event, thinking about it will not hurt your chances of surviving a plane crash.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Frankly, I don't know how true the following actually is, and I'm sorry it's going to be a little "graphic" and perhaps morbid (read no further if you are easily offended or upset..............), but a neurosurgeon friend of mine told me that many fatalities in plane crashes actually come from severe deceleration effects on the skull (and it's very important contents) rather than the skull actually striking solid objects and fracturing. I won't go into his exact rather colorful explanation, but you can imagine what might happen to a head-sized balloon full of water that you were holding firmly by the nozzle if that balloon were traveling in the vicinity of 400 miles per hour and suddenly the vehicle you were traveling in hit a rather large stationary object. Assuming that the balloon doesn't actually smash against something hard, the inertia of the water would of course exert a rather substantial force on the front part of the inside of the balloon, most likely rupturing it with spillage of the contents. The skull is made up of several bone "segments" and has many joints that are reasonably strong but not unrupturable by a relatively soft brain that is highly accelerated. My friend was speaking from real-life emergency room situations. He told me that in an air crash situation where some warning is available, it was a good idea to grasp both hands over the top of your head, interlocking the fingers, and then tilting your head and fingers forward resting the top of the head on the padded seat back in front of you.

Interestingly, within a few short days after my friend told me about this, we were both traveling in the back seat of a car that was broadsided in an intersection by another vehicle that ran a red light. We could see the car coming at us (and not slowing down) so we had a split second or two of warning. I was amazed to see him automatically adopt the head/hand position he told me about. Clearly, whatever personal observations he had made in ER's had made a very big impression on him.