Link to more LED lights !!

WaltH

Enlightened
Pretty cool. I'm looking at the clip-on reading light. Also, the Atlantis looks like a PT product. Can anybody elaborate on that?

Jonathan

Enlightened
Too bad they start their description of LEDs by stating <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Not only do they burn cool, they also use only about 5% of the electricity that incandescent bulbs do. That means, for the same amount of light, you pay
1/20 as much <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.

This is nearly pure BS. LEDs will use much less electricity than incandescent lamps, but they also produce less light. If you need less light, then LEDs are great. If you need a light which maintains its efficiency when it is dimmed, then LEDs are great. But only the most efficient of white LEDs even equal the efficiency of a properly driven halogen lamp.

-Jon

Darell

Flashaholic
Agreed. Misinformation is a pretty poor way to support the use of LED's.
frown.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
But only the most efficient of white LEDs even equal the efficiency of a properly driven halogen lamp.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Efficiency: The ratio of the energy delivered by a machine to the energy supplied for its operation.

I understand the spirit of what you say. But, when using the same terms as the physicists, it can become a absolute statement that's difficult to defend.
shocked.gif

Jonathan

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
Efficiency: The ratio of the energy delivered by a machine to the energy supplied for its operation.

I understand the spirit of what you say. But, when using the same terms as the physicists, it can become a absolute statement that's difficult to defend.
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given conservation of energy, the energy delivered by a machine must be equal to the energy supplied for its operation, and thus is always 100%.
smile.gif
Generally efficiency is used to describe desired energy output versus energy input, and is sometimes misused to describe desired energy output versus 'paid for' energy input (eg. the 'efficiency' of this heat pump is 250% (heat into house versus electricity into heat pump).

If we use the term performance, rather than efficiency, and define it for this particular instance as the ratio of luminous output to electrical power input, I claim that the best white LEDs by this metric are only just now matching the performance of small halogen lamps properly driven.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Haha, Thought you all might like it. Nice to see you havnt lost your logic. Still it is always nice to see another source trying to break into the market.
smile.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
They also say that LEDs produce NO heat. I wonder why my Inova X-5 get warm after a few minutes of runtime... must be my imagination!