970 lumen from a 10 Watt WA HID ??????

nobbe

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

during the last couple of days I spent my time on the "Eurobike" exhibition and in my free time I stumbled across the stand of Lupine.

lupine

I was attracted by a tiny bike light which looked quite bright. After examining the whole thing it turned out to be a 10 Watt HID from WA basically. So far so good - but then the guy told my that it runs of a 7,2 Volt LiIo (11,2 Ah) akku and that it has a high and a low setting. On high he claimed the light output would be about 970 lumen. As I have been playing around with WA lamps (especially 10 Watt HID) for quite a while I think the one with reflector puts out about 500 lumen and the bare bulb about 580 lumen (correct me if I am mistaken ..). So my question is: can this 970 lumen claim be true - has anyone some experience with overdriving those WA HIDs ?

-nobbe

K-T

*Moderator*
They claim to have an improved Welch Allyn Ballast and thus are able to produce the 900lm instead of stock 500lm - nobody knows exactly how they do it. Getting a spare ballast and lamp to take apart and find out is rather expensive,too - they nearly charge the full price if I remember correct. Did they have a handheld flashlight with HID there,too? That is another project they are announcing and workin on for some time now.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
yeah, this "handheld edison" is what I am waiting for, too. I really hope it won't run on Li-Ions though ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
bernhard

pyro

Enlightened
I doubt that it will put out 970 Lumens from only 10 Watts,
that would be 97lumens/watt, and that is what 35 watt D2S
bulbs can produce.
i really don´t think that a mini HID cam match that efficiency yet.
maybe it runs at 15 or 20 Watts, but i read that overdriving miniHIDs will reduce their life dramatically.

but a 10watt 900lumen light would close the gap between
the almost too weak 10 watters and the power hungry 35 watt bulbs.

*Retired*
Are most these folks usually quoting their lumens off the bulb specs?

You still have significant losses in the reflector and in the cover window/lens to compensate for. Of course, they may have used a reflector coating that is alot less lossy than normal, and AR coated both sides of the lenses...

nobbe

Newly Enlightened
........... they did not have any hand held sample unit to show at the exhibition unfortunately but I´ve heared of this project, too.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you read the technical data from Lupine, they say they get 60 lumens per watt, which is only a modest improvement over the basic WA Solarc lamp, it also means that to get 900 lumens, they are going to have to overdrive to 15 watts (16+watts for 970 lumens).

No doubt that reduces lamp life, but for many applications, lamp life isn't an issue. Reducing the lamp life in a flashight from 1000 hours to even 200 hours doesn't make much difference. 200 hours is a very long time for a flashlight or a bicycle headlamp.

nobbe

Newly Enlightened
yeap ! That is what I assumed - they just overdrive the lamp at the high setting - and thats it (o.k. they did some improvements compared to the standard ballast but this does not the boost to 900+ lumen).

By the way ..... does anyone know if Trailtech does the same with their new 16 Watt HID ?

-Norbert