Need help building a Ultra Ultra tiny led Light.

BillRoberts

Newly Enlightened
I want to make an ultra tiny led light, something that could fit into a ring.

I only need enought light to read a page or two of text.

I'm thinking of using a surface mounted LED like you would find in one of thoes light up pins that look loke a flag or
Santa.

Where can I get one of thoes, and do they come in white?

What is the smallest 3v coin cell I can get?

Any ideas on a tiny switch?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
surface mount LED. White would work, but green would be better, ie LED is smaller, it would seem brighter, and it has a lower operating voltage. Battery 3V lithium, or... 2x silver oxide hearing aid batteries. nice and small, but limited in current draw. but if you are only pulling 10mA or so, it should not be a problem. switch.... any SMT pushbutton should due, enough resistance not to be turned on by accident. small in size, I have seen them 1.5mm(W)x3mm(L)x1.5mm(D).
I'll try and post some pics of the small parts I have.

Jeff

BillRoberts

Newly Enlightened
Jeff,

I'd be interested in a switch, and a white, green, and yellow smt LED if you'd like to sell them.

Bill

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
here are some pics...
IMAG0000.JPG

White.. Red... Yellow... Green..
IMAG0001.JPG

IMAG0002.JPG

IMAG0003.JPG

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, just tried it, Red draws 15mA off of two cells. Yellow overdrives, but runs at 8mA with 100 ohm. Green is 0.6mA with 2 cells, prob needs 3 cells and some resistance. I'll toss in a few 100ohm SMTs
Jeff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I received the following tiny LED flashlight from a man in Sweden a couple of days ago:

tiny001.jpg

It uses a 3mm white LED and four AG3 button cells.
It's that blue and black thing below the Photon Freedom Micro in this photograph.

This is the smallest LED flashlight I've ever come across.

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a neat project Bill. Count me in for one if they ever go up for sale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
something else to consider. Is this ring light to look like a regular ring, or is it the usefullness you need. A while ago I saw 'rave' rings at walmart/target and hot topic. These were plastic rings with a single LED in it and a sort of motion switch (spring with weight). If you could find one of these it could easily be modded.
But if you are going for REALLY small, this wont work, as it was kind of clunky looking.
Jeff

BillRoberts

Newly Enlightened
Step 1

pico.jpg

The led is on the top, the pushbutton switch is on the bottom. (please ignore the crappy solder job, my 1 year old son kept trying to "help" whil I was working.) If I untwist the wires, it makes a good pinky ring, with the batteries on top of my pinky, the switch on the bottom of my pinky (where I can activate it with my thumb) and the LED on the outside of my pinky, which mostly faces down. I think once I find a ring to use, I'll try to design it so that the switch is a twist on.

The light output is just wat I needed, I can read a page of 10 pt text with the light about 8" away from the page. I also get a nice white even light.

I need to find some smaller batteries, but this is what I had at home.

The next step is to find a ring to use as a host.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Step 1

Sorry! Could not resist.
ring_1.jpg

ring_2.jpg

ring_3.jpg

I did this a few years back,Nichia white SM & 3 volt lithium.Dual Titanium band seperated with white acetal.
I always thought it was cool, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

That looks so cool and futuristic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif
Perhaps a small production run?
Look how much some couples spend on thier weddings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
Could be kinda interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

dasfx

Newly Enlightened

Ohh, me want, me want
I had been thinking about trying to build something like this, very small, only I had though about something on a necklace, but I really like that one orb.

DasFx

rackness

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif that is fantastic!! do you have more pics of your ring? where are the batteries? if you had that machined entirely out of titanium you could definatly market that!! it would have to be finished jewelery quality of course. i think you would be amazed at their appeal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif
The battery slips in the gap at the base of the ring.
ring_4.jpg

It was Ok & you could where as a normal nice size ring.
Keep the battery in your pocket.
I think I would have a redesign if tempted to make a few.
As with all rings of course you have to supply many sizes!!
Still Its cool to play /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts