Lexan Diffusion Film on Lenses

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have before and after pictures of a Maglite C or D flashlight before adding a Lexan Diffusion lens, and after adding it?

I ordered the UCL-LDF from flashlightlens.com to try to see if I can smooth out the beam on my Maglites. I also plan to order a EverLED bulb as well. Just curious about seeing before and after pictures to see if the UCL-LDFs really do the job they are hyped up to do?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also considering using this on AA Maglites. The Terralux Ministar beam quality sucks, and if the diffusion film can clean it up I'd use it more.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK supplies this film with the LC100. I got a sample from aten Imago a while back as well. His was from a stage lighting supply company and is commonly availible. UK film does work at the cost of some light loss.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't post pictures, but the lexan coated UCL I bought for my 3D mag sits in a ziplock bag in my junk drawer. It made a smooth beam, so smooth I hardly had a hot spot any more!!! I don't think you'll be happy with the difference to your C or D mag because you are used to so much more throw from the stock reflector (unless you want a flood light). Personally, I've gotten a better beam just from spraying a little clear acrylic on the stock reflector; I don't seem to lose the hot spot that way!

To be fair, I have appreciated lexan coated lenses for my smaller lights (mini mag mods) and have enjoyed the benefits from the diffusion. Opalec modules look a lot cleaner as have any led mods I've had. That's my 2 cents, let us know what you think when you get them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I prefer flood beams so I am not worried about throw. My Pelican M6 LED has plenty of throw (I was able to light up deer on the hill while hiking at night, probably 50 yards away), and the beam is perfect out of the box--one of the few lights other than Surefires or the Arc 4 that comes with IMO a perfect beam. I don't think I'll need more throw than the PM6 LED gives me, since my majority of my light uses are close quarters indoors or for medium range outside. If I absolutely ever do need 100-200 yard potential, I suppose I can save one 4D Maglite and NOT mod with the diffuser, but I doubt I'll ever need that range. Besides, even my stock (unmodded) Elektrolumens FT-3C gives me some serious throw, about 75-100 yards when the batteries are at full power. So, I do have options if I need medium to medium-long range throw. Its only the 100 plus yard (long) throw that I don't have many options for, except for maybe my 4D Maglites, but I doubt I'll ever need that kind of throw anyway.

For my Maglites that have crappy out of the box beam, I'd happily sacrifice many throw for beam quality. I absolutely HATE the artifact driven beams my C and D cell Maglites have. A close to medium range flood of light would be much appreciated, and I think if I add the EverLED it will give me more battery life and greater output (especially in the 2D/2C models)? I notice also that a smoother flood beam is easier on my eyes in close quarters than an uneven spot, so I think I might liking this mod.

I did try the acrylic spray on the reflector once, and I ruined a reflector and produced a worst beam. I clearly am not good at painting or spraying that stuff on, because most people that try to do that mod report excellent results.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
.357 (NICE Caliber!!!)

Scotch Satin Tape. It's not as easy to get as Magic, but it is THE STUFF!

I notice very little light loss, and a MUCH improved beam.

It is ugly, having to go on in side by side pieces.

But it is on several of my lights, and it ain't coming off!!!!

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Thanks. I like the caliber too.

Actually, Wayne at Elektrolumens also recommends scotch tape.

My only concern is that tape can corrode with age (some of my scotch tape has in the past). If it does, it would be hard to take off the tape from the lens and then reapply, right?

I don't mind spending $10 for a decent glass lens that also diffuses.

kubolaw

Enlightened
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I LOVE the LDF lenses from flashlightlens. But then again, I only use them with high-power mods that can afford to lose a little in the throw department. With those, you still get a nice solid beam center, but any beam defects are smoothed out very nicely.

I don't know how well it would work with an Everled, though. IMO, it just doesn't have the horsepower to be a viable LDF lens partner. I guess you would get a sort of light flood, but if you're going that route, I'd just forego the Everled and get a UK eLED 4AAA instead.

John

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Actually, I have a UK eLED 4AA. Very nice light, IMO.

What kind of high power mods do you use? Any LED ones?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a satin-like packing tape (wide enough you don't need two pieces). Try Staples or Office Depot, but do a side by side comparison to satin tape to see what you're supposed to be getting.

It comes off easy enough so that replacement isn't a PITA, and a roll is way cheaper than a lens plus postage.

Just a suggestion.

kubolaw

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

No, only hotwire mods. Actually, I guess you can't even really call them "mods", since it's basically only replacing the stock bulbs with higher power lamps (CA808, CA1499, WA01318, WA01185, WA01166) and upgrading the power supply (i.e., stacks of either 123As or NiMH rechargeables), reflector, and lens. I don't know if the satin tape would work in these types of situations, due to the heat generated. Probably PlayboyJoeShmoe would be able to shed some light on that issue, since I think he uses some of the same sort of lamps.

John

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried some of that scotch satin tape in a micra. It seems like it elongates the beam. I wonder if it doesn't diffuse more in one direction than the other. Anyone else notice this?

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kubolaw said:
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

No, only hotwire mods. Actually, I guess you can't even really call them "mods", since it's basically only replacing the stock bulbs with higher power lamps (CA808, CA1499, WA01318, WA01185, WA01166) and upgrading the power supply (i.e., stacks of either 123As or NiMH rechargeables), reflector, and lens. I don't know if the satin tape would work in these types of situations, due to the heat generated. Probably PlayboyJoeShmoe would be able to shed some light on that issue, since I think he uses some of the same sort of lamps.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, every hotwire (incand) bulb I've tried in a (especially 2C or 2D) Maglite produces TERRIBLE runtime. Its barely on, and its already turning more and more amber and dim. At least with the luxeon bulb, I figure when it does dim the color will still be fairly white.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I can't be ordering 123s much, so I don't run any really hot stuff long enough in one run to bubble anything.

I've put a second layer of Satin tape on some lights. Perpendicular to the first layer. It seems to help, and if I lose output, I don't really notice it.

My most used light is a 3D M*g with 4C NimH and an Acrylite lense. With a well centered bulb it makes a perfectly round bright white spot with ample spill.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I got my diffusion lenses in the mail.

Very impressive.

They convert the Minimag with Terralux luxeon bulb from a terrible artifact filled beam that never gets used (because the Terralux beam IMO is unusable), to one heck of a good flood beam. While it is true that you lose throw, to me its a small sacrifice to make to go from terrible beam to good beam.

Same case with my C-cell mag. With stock lens, the beam is oval shaped and FULL of artifacts. On narrow beam, the light was too bright for short range anyway, and the narrow beam also didn't light up much area. On wide beam the Mag has an ugly whole in the center, and is COVERED with artifacts (rings, blotches, lines).

With the diffusion lens, at least 90% of the artifacts are gone, and the remaining 10% are so faded that they are only visible at point blank range. Its now a nice, smooth flood beam for short range (such as inside a building). You lose your ability to shine the light across a corn field to light up a flea's nose, but how many of us REALLY need to throw far range anyway?

I give the Diffusion lens a solid thumbs up. If you prefer beam quality over throw, its a good product.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea on the Terralux. I have one in a MiniMag and the beam artifacts are driving me nuts, so I found some frosted plastic that came from a plastic bag. It looks a bit like satin tape minus the adhesive. I'm thinking that, plus a rubber band around the top of my Mag and I have an instant field-removable beamshaper.

The only thing I notice is that this plastic changes the color cast. My "reference white" TWOL starts to look a bit yellow. I also find that it cuts light output. Is this the same case with the UCL-LDF?

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Good idea on the Terralux. I have one in a MiniMag and the beam artifacts are driving me nuts, so I found some frosted plastic that came from a plastic bag. It looks a bit like satin tape minus the adhesive. I'm thinking that, plus a rubber band around the top of my Mag and I have an instant field-removable beamshaper.

The only thing I notice is that this plastic changes the color cast. My "reference white" TWOL starts to look a bit yellow. I also find that it cuts light output. Is this the same case with the UCL-LDF?

[/ QUOTE ]

You do use some light output. My Terralux Mini-Star 2 had a green tint before the UCL-LDF, and after putting the UCL-LDF it seemed to slightly cut back on the green tint (which is good).
With my C-Cell Maglite, the UCL-LDF cuts back on light also, and it seems to make the beam slightly more amber/orange (which is not good). However, as soon as it arrives I'm going to put an EverLED in the C-Cell.

However, the beam quality really does improve a lot in both lights (AA Minimag and C cell).

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam quality is awesome. The Terralux has a green tint that I think will only be cured with an emitter swap although you're right, the diffusion film does reduce that. I'm thinking which emitter I should smack onto it. Perhaps a cyan or green for emergency signalling work. I'll still keep the diffusion film in place. Thanks for the great idea, I cut out a circle of the plastic using the lens as a guide, then slipped it beneath the lens (so as not to compromise the O-ring seal) and it works well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if you have a C or D cell Maglite, I recommend the diffusion lens for them as well. Combine that with an EverLED bulb, and I bet it becomes a nice light (as opposed to the quite mediocre stock Maglite).