cool storm francis is comeing here

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're in Georgia too aren't you raggie? My power was out for about 5 hours already today out here on the coast. I'm not sure it had anything to do with the storms though as it happened between storm bands from Frances and not as it was actually passing through.

In this case it was really a pain in the neck as it was still quite hot out and we had no AC and it was daytime so I didn't need much in the way of flashlights and it was earlier this morning and my inverter isn't big enough to run the coffee maker!

Anyhow, now that I could use a flashlight as it's getting darker the power is back on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really need to make some big investments in generators and pumps and such, not to mention storm shutters and make sure that the roof is tied down properly before I really think about enjoying a hurricane...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The best any of us can hope for now (talking about Ivan here) is that that damn storm goes north in the atlantic!

I do NOT wish for a hurricane or tropical storm to take my power out! Though I am quite well prepared light wise!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
...In this case it was really a pain in the neck as it was still quite hot out and we had no AC...

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of pre-Flashaholic days a few years ago when Chicago had that Summer power outage and 500 people died from the heat. I spent hours in a cool tub and actually slept there one night. There's a trick to remaining cool even out of the tub but it's a little extreme.

Fill the tub with cool water and gradually make it colder until you start shivering. Stay shivering for a while, maybe 10-15 minutes or more if you can take it, then get out of the water. The goal is to actually develop a chill. If you've done it right you can stay relatively cool for 1-3 hours.

I know it sounds a little bizarre but if you're hot to the point of distraction it can make a big difference. An alternative is to just keep cool water in the tub and dunk as often as necessary. Periodic cold showers can also work, but for major results you have to go the "big chill" route.

Brightnorm

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
We never have the AC below 85, but when the AC and the FANS go out it really cuts the buzz. My heart goes out to people who not only have to put up with the outage, but also the uncertainty of how long it will last. I hope I never see another hurricane.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
a few years ago when Chicago had that Summer power outage and 500 people died from the heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might actually have been in Chicago during that. Or one of them anyway. There were several outages one summer if I recall. I came into town to visit some friends only to find LSD completely blacked out. Some feeder had burned out underground there. We ended up spending the night at my friends girlfriends parents place on the far south side.

He was only on the 23rd floor, but there were people walking up and down 40 floors in that building, and a lot more all over the place that night. Yuck.

What kills people in Chicago is that they don't know at ALL how to cope with the heat. They find older folks in their flannel jammies under a down comforter with all the windows closed!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard it said that if ya get too cold ya can throw on extra layers, but when ya get too hot there comes a point when ya either have to stay hot or get really self-conscious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Definitely want to check up on the older folks (your family or not) during even mildly bad weather. My wife has an elderly aunt that swears she's freezing at temps well over 80. The minute or two you spend checking on the elderly literally may be a matter of life or death.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:

Fill the tub with cool water and gradually make it colder until you start shivering. Stay shivering for a while, maybe 10-15 minutes or more if you can take it, then get out of the water. The goal is to actually develop a chill. If you've done it right you can stay relatively cool for 1-3 hours.
Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, that might work in Chicago but at my house in south Florida in the summer the cold water from the tap comes out room temperature at best, usually it's kinda luke warm. When our power goes out for any length of time in the summer we have to basically live in the pool.

Frances hit north of us but a lot of people (over a million) lost power down here for a few days. Most of the traffic lights are still out and lots of trees are down. Fortunately, we didn't lose power, water or phone and the cable went in and out but was mostly on. I was all prepared with many many lights and batteries, radios, portable tv's, a spare car battery to charge the small rechargeable batteries and run little TV's, tons of food and water, house fully shuttered up with the strongest steel shutters, and all that happened to me was a few broken branches on a tree. Most of the neighborhoods around mine lost power for a couple of days. I was overprepared and basically nothing happened to us. I consider myself lucky but kinda wanted to put my preparedness to the test. I left the shutters up in case Ivan heads our way.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it surprising how very little happens to the overprepared people, and how much happens to the underprepared. At work I built everything over-spec, redundancy left right and center, backup this, backup that. Nothing ever happens. On the other hand Murphy has this ability to know when you aren't prepared and send everything after you.. call it wierd yeah, but it sure seems to work that way. I'd rather be prepared and never need it. If I do.. well, at least it's going to be a lot better than not having anything.

I'm also concerned about keeping cool in the heat, it's always easier to stay warm in the cold. I have an idea, for those of you with a soldering iron, you can obtain 12 volt or 5 volt computer fans, and with an AA battery holder or two build something that'll run on NiMH or alkalines as a personal fan. 5V fans are the best because they run well on 4x1.2V (realistically, fresh NiMH is 1.25-1.3, so it's all good). I believe the fans will tolerate alkaline as well depending on what you buy.

Give each one in the family one as a personal fan, and add some nice fan guards on both ends to save fingers. I'm planning to do this for my next outage, I don't want to sit and sweat. And you all have NiMH too.