DEFCOM settings for Hurricanes

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Living in the far western part of the FL panhandle I didn't get too excited about Francis but did take the normal precautions. I haven't had my generator out in over 2 years so Sunday afternoon I told my wife I was going to unbury it and make sure it was ready just in case. She said I was going overboard and it was a waste of time. I really only wanted to make sure it was ready because I figure between Francis and Ivan I stood a good chance of needing it.

I knew I drained the tank before storing it so it shouldn't be too big a deal to bring it to life. Wait, what is this smell and why is my gas tank filled with something that smells like varnish? Yep, that's right, I didn't drain the tank, crap! I new remedial action would be required if I was going to have even the smallest chance of getting it running. I drained the tank, pulled the plug and sprayed a whole bunch of WD40 onto the top of the piston. I sprayed more WD40 into the carburetor, then changed the oil and added about 1 gallon of fresh fuel. I held my breath as I pulled the cord to start it. It started on the first pull. I was shocked. I let it run about an hour before shutting it down.

At 5:45AM today (Monday) I was awakened by a loud bang and then the absence of noise. The transformer at the end of my driveway took a lightning hit and it was fried. It wasn't even raining when it happened. I called it in and then laid back down. At 6:30, I still didn't have power so I decided to take us from DEFCOM 4 to DEFCOM 3. I got up, put on shorts and shoes and headed for the garage. I picked up my two five gallon gas cans and emptied the remaining two gallons into the generator. I took the cans and hopped on my riding mower to drive to the gas station. My mower holds 9 gallons so it's a nice emergency source of fuel. I filled up the cans and mower then came home and topped off the generator. I immediately went back to the station one more time to top off the cans. DEFCOM 3 complete.

At 7:15AM and still no power I decided to go to DEFCOM 2. I went back in the garage and pulled out all the heavy-duty extension cords. I ran them from the generator to the closest window of the house. I opened the window and piled them in the floor and decided what I was going to power if I had to go to DEFCOM 1. Once I decided it would be the window AC unit in the FL room, the frig, the small TV and DVD, two fans and one light I announced (to myself) DEFOM 2 complete.

At 7:40AM and still no power I decided the moment of truth had come. It was time to set DEFCOM 1. I went out to the generator and it started on the first pull again. I left it to warm up while I connected the cords to their assigned devices and then returned to the generator. I first plugged in the AC and went back inside to turn it on. AC OK. I went back outside and plugged in the frig. frig OK. I then plugged in the TV/DVD. TV/DVD OK. You get the picture. at 7:47AM, DEFCOM 1 was complete and we were fully operational.

I left for work at 8:20AM and the power was restored at 9:15AM.

This is when the problems started. My wife couldn't get the generator turned off despite me screaming at here on the phone how easy it was to do. Therefore, I had to come back home and do it myself, grrrr. When I arrived at the house I discovered the generator running roughly and the switch that turns it on-off, laying on the ground. I tried to push the on-off button back in without success. I used my multi-tool to pull the spark plug wire off the plug. Since I had the wire off I decided to run to the store and get another plug. I figured it might be fouled and that's why it was running rough. I found a plug at the second store, drove home and had it installed in 2 minutes. I decided to test the machine with the new plug and to my dismay I discovered the pull-start was pulling out way to easy and this was because it wasn't turning the flywheel. It wasn't turning the flywheel because the spines weren't lifting up. I disassembled the thing on the spot. I grew up working on lawnmowers at my Grandfathers Lawn Mower repair shop so I knew just what to do and it would take me 10 minutes. Believe it or not a lot has changed in the last 30 years and there were many more parts to remove than there were in the good old days. When I finally got it apart and discovered I needed a special tool I decided to improvise. I pulled out the WD40 again and soaked the top of the flywheel where this, can't remember the name, part was located. I then banged it about 10 times with my ratchet. Sometimes the best tool is a bigger hammer because that fixed the problem. I reassembled the parts and 40 minutes after starting I was done. We were back at DEFCOM 2 but everything was ready to go for the approaching bad weather. Our bad weather consisted of 15 minutes of sprinkles and 15-20 knots of peak wind gust. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we were spared and can certainly empathies with the poor folks in south FL. I have been through 2 direct hits and it's horrible.

I will return to DEFCOM 3 tomorrow and likely stay there until Ivan passes. When the end of the season comes I hope I am telling more stories like this and none about my damage.

To all those with damage I send my best and hope you have a speedy recovery.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Dave,

I like your personal Defcon rating system, which could be useful for the public in a weather emergency. It makes more sense than those palpitation-inducing national color alerts.

Brightnorm

bigcozy

Enlightened
Dave, thanks for writing this. I am a long time student of worst case scenarios, living in tornado alley. It seems like something always doesn't work right, and you always learn something. I like your Defcon rating too, but would like to add that the national color alerts have to be simple and taking into account not everybody speaks the same language here.

Glad you were lucky.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My finger is hovering over the Defcon3 button on the very thought that Ivan is going to hit the Gulf!

I'm better than 20 miles from Salt water, but at 28feet of elevation, roughed up pretty good by Alicia in '83, and darn near flooded by Allison in '03, Ivan scares the bejesus out of me!

I'm glad the remnants of Francis didn't mess you up anymore Dave!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
...I'm better than 20 miles from Salt water, but at 28feet of elevation, roughed up pretty good by Alicia in '83, and darn near flooded by Allison in '03, Ivan scares the bejesus out of me!...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have family in SE Florida near the ocean and a nearly 28 foot storm surge is frightening. Isn't that unusually high even for a strong hurricane, or was that caused by heavy rain rather than storm surge?

Brightnorm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
So far (crossed fingers) I have not ever heard the word Texas in any talk of Ivan in the news.

But I just looked at satelite pics. If it gets into the gulf, we get rain at least!