Review: Streamlight UltraStinger

JB

Enlightened
Background: My first "better quality" flashlight was a Maglite 2AA (10 years ago). Since then I've bought the Maglite Solitaire, 3D and 4D. Recently upgraded them by getting some Brinkmann Nexstar bulbs and Carley lamps. Then the itch started for something better and the UltraStinger caught my eye (hush you SF fans, I've got an E2 coming as well
smile.gif
). I've had my UltraStinger for several weeks now and here's my opinion.

What I like about the UltraStinger
----------------------------------

Powerful beam: Main reason why I bought the light. The 75k CP claim sucked me in; I don't know if it's accurate or exaggerated but the light is bright! Much brighter and whiter than my Maglite 4D with the Carley lamp. The beam also reaches out far - at tightest focus, I can light up targets a couple of hundred feet away clearly. Beam quality is good and smooth (when focused down); much better than Maglite and not far from SF! I think the "pebbled" reflector has something to do with it.

Good quality: Fit and finish of the light is good. The battery doesn't rattle in the body, the adjustable head turns smoothly and the switch feels sturdy.

Reasonably priced: For what it is the UltraStinger is reasonably priced. If you go for the whole package (AC & DC charger, 2 holders) you can get it for under $92. Cost of spare bulbs and batteries are also very reasonable.

Low running cost: The rechargeable battery is a wallet saver. At $24 per battery and assuming 300 hours of runtime (300 charges @ 1 hr), the running cost is only $0.08/hr. Hate to see my bill for 300 hours worth of 123 lithiums.
tongue.gif

What can be improved
--------------------

1. Could do with a fast charger. Currently a full charge takes 10 hours.
2. Wish they had higher capacity batteries like Ni-MH or Li-Ion. The extra runtime would be helpful.
3. A separate battery charger would be nice so that you can keep a 2nd battery charged and swap it when the first one finishes.
4. The holder feels cheap.

All in all, the UltraStinger is a great light and practical to own. It's got that great combination of being powerful, reasonably priced and affordable to operate. I'm not surprised that Streamlight can't keep up with the demand.

BTW, I bought the light from Tanners and their service and pricing were good. I recommend them.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep seeing mention of the Carley and Brinkmann nexstar bulbs for Mag-lights. About 2 months ago I bought some krypton(?) bulbs from Shomar(?)and i'm very disappointed in them. Very dark circles. Where can I buy the Carley and Brinkmann bulbs and are they worth the effort?

.......Dana......

Latest posts