Price, Quality, Brightness, Runtime, Ownership.???

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

I feel that there is a need for your opinion about following factors.

What matters to you when you want to get a flashlight ?

What are your priorities ?
--Longer Runtime
--Good / Decent Brightness
--Utility, Simplicity & Functionality
--Better Quality & Durability
--Lower Price
--Thrills / Frills? (like brightness settings flashing etc etc)

For me the sequence of priorities is
1) Lower Price
2) Utility, Simplicity & Functionality (EDIT) Reliablity comes here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
3) Better Quality & Durability
4) Longer Runtime
5) Good / Decent Brightness
in between Every other thing
99999997) Thrills & Frills
99999998) Ownership Ego of High Cost Flashlight
99999999) Justifying above 99999997 reason for 99999998

The reason for this is, there are many manufacturers, who manufacture good flashlight. Every person has his own options and feelings about flashlights. Some might buy it for fun, some for utility, some for thrills, some for brightness etc etc etc....

Do put your options, they are valuable.

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Reliability - nothing annoys me more than stuff that doesn't work, when I absolutely, positively, need it to. (Hint: computers)
2. Performance and engineering - a well built light that delivers some serious performance (in its respective class) means a lot. Performance isn't all about lumens either. I enjoy the unbelievably long runtime of the CMG Infinity Ultra as well as the bright, beautiful Surefire P91 lamp.
3. Price/performance ratio: if two lights are nearly equal on the other counts, then price will be the tie-breaker, but of course.
4. Lights that offer something unusual, something nobody else , or very very few others can offer. U2 Ultra - six dimmable levels of output. Expensive like all heck, but.. sweet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif nobody else uses the hall-effect dimmer ring either, most designs are switch or potentiometer-controlled.

Never been one to own lights just for the frills, such as flashy/blinky things, or just for the sake of owning a specific brand.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
1). Reliability/Qulity of construction.
2). Performance (brightness and quality of beam, runtime) -- this is a very close second .
3). Ergonomics (ease of use, feel, easy carry, etc.).
4). Cost (which is why I buy my lights one at a time and not all that often -- well, my wife would disagree).
5). Gizmo factor (by my standards, since others think lights are just lights, but all the lights I own have the funky factor anyway).

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Better Quality & Durability
2) Performance (brightness quality of beam, runtime)
3) Easy carry
4) Utility, Simplicity & Functionality
5) Lower Price
6) thrills and frills

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Price, Quality, Brightness, Runtime, Ownership

It's simple, ... I want just the best.
The best for each task I can figure out I might eventually need.
That's all.
bernhard

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If it looks stupid, crazy design, bad ergos... I won't touch it.

Price means a lot. But what I'm getting for that price! Elektrolumens and Lambda to name a few!

Brightness/Runtime. 2 good hours of bright works! Especially if that's on rechargables!

Quality... see price!

Frills don't move me.

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Reliability (light better turn on when I need it)
2. Build Quality/fit/finish (light better last and be able to stand up)
3. Beam quality
4. Tint quality
5. Runtime
6. Simplicity
7. Ergonomics
8. Brightness

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its true, for most of people who have replied, reliablity is one of the prime concerns... no wonder... LED's will be a winner.

Imagine Incand's .... if they are dropped on floor from lets say 2 - 12 feet ... Boom ..lol... Thats where... M@M fails MOST ...

Unless we have special shock proof casings / enclosures / measures for incand's the basic construction of light is bound to be less reliable than the LED based ones.

There will be those who will argue that LED's can fail too, but they sure can stand the drops etc etc (small tortures).... and we should not expect LED's to last.. if a bullet hits directly in to the Flashlight's Business head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for your responces...

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
if they are dropped on floor from lets say 2 - 12 feet ... Boom ..lol... Thats where... M@M fails MOST ...

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, you mean M@ G ? bec i thought mom can never fail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
now if you are talking about gag, then it is a definite yes!

Hirudin

Newly Enlightened

I own a total of 2 lights, so I wont make a list.

But I do get a thril out of having a well-made anything. It could be something simple, like a marble, but if it was perfectly spherical I would like it more.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello ViReN,

I look for all of those things in a light. The priority of the items in the list changes depending on what I am getting the light for.

The one thing that tops the list is reliability. I expect the light to turn on when I hit the switch.

Tom