What's the best light for a scout?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s the best light for a scout?

I am the oldest scout in my troop and normally have the best equipment when we go camping. (Optimus Crux stove, Jack Wolfskin Gossammer tent, Leatherman WAVE,etc) I would like to purchase a flashlight that:
- Is bright, but not too bright.
- lasts a while ( 2< hours)
- Lifetime guarantee
-looks cool
- costs < $200
- overall a COOL light

Any suggestions?
-tom

capnal

Enlightened
Re: What\'s the best light for a scout?

Pelican model 2000 Super Saber Light. 3 C cells (i.e.: easy to get while out doing scout stuff), very tough, very brite, lifetime guarantee. Go ahead, drop it off a cliff, in a river, etc. Also won't beak your bank. In fact, get yourself a Pelican 3N led to keep with you for close up stuff and you can still come in under budget.

Check out the Pelican website.

cy

Flashaholic

I've outfitting scouts in my son's troop with infinity ultra G's ($15 w/10+ hours burntime & HA) and $1 countycom lights.

I've given away lot's ARC AAA's to the deserving scout leaders. getting some converts...

If you really got $200 to spend. I'd get an L1 surefire or firefly w/two stage switch or Arc AAA.

when you get into high end lights. you get lots of choices. Most suggestions will be all good.

When you need to stay under $30, then it's hard to beat ARC AAA or unfinity ultra.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

No thanx. I can afford a better one. Its too big + too heavy. We go backpacking and weight is a factor.
-tom

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

SO many to choose from at that price point.
do you have a preference regarding size/weight, bulb or battery type?

how about one of the streamlight twin-tasks? i believe streamlight's products are guaranteed for life.

the TT2L is a great performer, at a fantastic price.
LED's for close-up, incan for more brightness. inexpensive bulbs.
get bats online from surefire for just over $1 each.

really, you can get a fantastic luxeon light at that price as well.

the new gerber LX lights received great reviews on flashlightreviewa.com.

again...so many GREAT choices!

Bob

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

A Scout with $200 dollars to spend on a flashlight? Wow! When I was a scout just paying for the 2 D-cells (or was it C-cells)in my standard issue Boy Scout flashlight was about all I could afford.

Have you considered the Arc 4+? Multiple brightness levels, small, yada, yada, yada.
arc4b.jpg

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cornkid said:
No thanx. I can afford a better one. Its too big + too heavy. We go backpacking and weight is a factor.
-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

what Ronm said, and you might consider surefires like the Aviator, etc.

Good luck!

Bob

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking about the Aviator... but the LEDs are not bright enough, and the light is too bright for the inside of a one-man tent.

-tom

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Less than $200 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

You can get "best" quality lights for less than $200.

ARC4+; Can be clipped on a cap for a temporary headlamp.

Surefire A2; Brighter than the ARC4 when both are on high and 20 hour runtime on low. The high beam has good throw compared to the other lights I listed.

Surefire L2; The low beam is brighter than the low of the A2 and has 10 hour runtime on low. This light has more of a flood beam.

It's hard for me to pick only one of these to make a recommendation because they are all very good lights. I recommend the A2 for scouting because you might need the throw of the incandescent for finding a trail or some unknown emergency application. Be prepared. IMHO you'll use the low beam the most.

The ARC4+ is a very close second because of size, brightness & runtime. The runtime on level 16 is the longest of these lights. I only picked the A2 over the ARC4 because of the brightness of the A2 on high.

Now that I've shown you how to spend your $200 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif let me say that for camping and hiking I recommend a headlamp and a backup light.

I recommend the Princeton Tec Yukon HL for a headlamp and the CMG Infinity Ultra-G for a backup light.

The ARC AA is a nicer light than the Ultra or Ultra-G, but it costs more. These lights have similar brightness and if money isn't an issue or if you want a nicer and slightly smaller light get the ARC AA.

In addition to a headlamp and a backup light I also take a bright incandescent especially when I'm in bear country. However the bright incandescent doesn't get much use and if weight is an issue (backpacking) it would be left at home unless I'm going to be in bear country.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I would bring a G2 Nitrolon for those cases. I am thinking about the L1 Lumamax, not too big, cool looking, not too expensive, and LED! I don't really trust ARC, I havent seen it sold anywhere. The Post Exchange sells the Surefires and so does Cabelas. I trust both. I will look into it anyway.

THANX,
-tom

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened

Dont trust ARC? I dont own one myself but if you spend a little time looking around this forum i think that you would quickly find that there is not a better light than the ARC 4 if size and weight is a big issue. As an eagle scout myself and an experience camper, I would choose the ARC 4 if I had the money to spend on one. I am not saying that the other lights you are looking at are bad, because they arent at all, im just saying its worth giving ARC a better look

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

cornkid,

I have a Surefire L1, notice that it wasn't one of my first choices. It has 1.5 hour runtime on high. It would make a good complement to your G2.

I much prefer the ARC4+ to the L1.

The E2e/KL1 with 4 hour runtime is another option.

cy

Flashaholic

cornkid, You can trust ARC!

They have one of the best customer service anywhere. ARC AAA was the world's first AAA production LED light and still the best. It's the one light own by more cpf'er than any other and still the backup light of choice.

ARC AAA is the light I hang in my tent. The reason I didn't recommend Arc4 is switch issues (which ARC is resolving). If I was going on a remote backpacking trip, sadly I would not take my ARC4X. But I would not hesitate to take a firefly w/two stage switch, L1 surefire, Arc AAA or infinity ultra G.

I count grams when I backback and have done up to two week self contained trips (carrying all food & gear). ARC AAA (20 grams) is a given, but primary light would be a toss up between:

1. Li14430 (40 grams)
2. Firefly 1 w/aluminum head, BB500 R2H, two stage switch (38 grams)
3. ARC LSHP w/123 twisty (54 grams)

The most bomb-proof/proven would be LSHP and ARC AAA. The only reason LSHP is third on the list is I don't have a two stage switch installed yet and size.

Just one year ago LSHP was considered an small EDC light. With firefly EDC standards got smaller. Li14430 is the current state of the art in small lights (only 11 made). When DougS' (Li14430) two stage circuits make it into CR2 II. Then the crown will be handed off.

I would probably take my Li14430 and ARC AAA. My Li14430 has never failed me or behaved in any way that would make me think otherwise.

FYI, just so you know this info is first hand. I currently own all of the light mention, except L1 which I regretably sold two weeks ago. (got another one en route)

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Tom, have you checked out McGizmo's 1x123 Aleph ?

I have an L1 and one of McGizmo's 2x123 modified L1s and I like them very much. But, I think his 1x123 with McE2s two-level switch and the Aleph 2 head improves upon just about everything I like about the L1.

Here's the thread where you can read up on the Aleph:

McGizmo Aleph

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another good place to look for detailed answers (and a lot of good reviews on these high end lights is; Craig,s www.ledmuseum.org .

Know a scout on a smaller budget wanting led? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif
Arc aaa, Dorcy aaa, and some of waion's little led lights in the Buy/Sell/Trade B/S/T Lights forum can help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

As a flashaholic I'd go for an Aleph, but if you want a (so to speak) mass-market light, you might consider the Surefire L2. It's way cool looking, high tech (LED), has a long-running dim mode and an impressive bright mode.

greenLED

Flashaholic

I'm sold on headlamps when I go on any of my expeditions. Read this thread to learn more about headlamps. I've liked the BD Gemini for a long time, but am getting tired of having the incan bulb in there. I might switch to one of the newer models that have a Lux and LEDs.

If you have $200 for this light doesn't mean you have to spend it all in *one* light. Buy several cool ones and report back your opinion.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

For hiking and camping, a headlamp is a huge plus. Consider the Yukon HL for dual output and long runtime. Else an Eternalight is great cos of the dimmable functions, you can make it as bright or dim as you want inside your tent. Coolness factor, I'd say Inova X5t for its sleekness, otherwise a SF L4 would be my next choice... Then again, which flashaholic goes camping with only 1 light? Get 'em all if you can Cornkid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif