**Arc 5 vs. Surefire U2 - which one would u choose

nonbox

Banned
Arc 5 ($250) vs. Surefire U2 ($270)

These are expensive powerful top of the line leds. Which one is better? I wish I could own both but I don't have that much cash. Which one would you choose and why?

http://www.geocities.com/nonbox/

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: **Arc 5 vs. Surefire U2 - which one would u ch

Considering that both are still not in production, it's going to be a little hard to choose between the two, aside from the size and form factor..

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have two U2s on preorder. If I could only have 1, it would be U2 no contest. Brighter highest setting, simpler interface, and Surefire quality.

Unless the Arc 5 blows me away with specs or good reviews, I'm probably going to use my Arc 4s (which I already have) as a small 1 cell adjustable brightness EDC light, and the Surefire U2 as a 2-cell adjustable brightness holster carry light.

K-T

*Moderator*
I don't have that much infos on the ARC5 but think that this light and the U2 are two lights with completely different characteristics. Comparing them with only the price as basis doesn't work in my opinion.

Mark2

Enlightened
From all we've heard I think it's safe to say that the U2 is in production.

Reno

Enlightened
Well, between the two, I'd vote for the Arc 5, based on prior experience with Arc's customer service and commitment to cutting-edge product.

Honestly, I don't intend to purchase either unless they offer a striking improvement over the Lionheart in performance, which I seriously doubt to be the case.

Size15's

Flashaholic

The Lionheart isn't regulated though is it? The Arc5 and U2 have regulation. The U2 features regulation on all six levels. I'm not sure about the details of the Arc5 though.

Al

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

where can i find info on these light's? i know many here know a bit about them, but i really have trouble using the search and getting some informative copy. VDG

Size15's

Flashaholic

What would you like to know?
I'll have a go at answering questions about the U2.
The Arc Forum is a good place to go find out about the Arc5.

Al

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
What would you like to know?
I'll have a go at answering questions about the U2.
The Arc Forum is a good place to go find out about the Arc5.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks 15, i just called SF and i think I will be going with
a L2 instead a U2, so that kinda fix's that,(just more option's then i really need, put it down to newbie giddyness)
The arc 5 i will check the forum, i know it's a 5-watt, and really just Q's on the same old stuff: beam type, lumen's and option's (one level of brightness or multi. thanks1 VDG

nonbox

Banned

Surefire U2 is truely inovative with the light level ring. When will it go on sale?

nexro

Enlightened

Agree with JSB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A true flashaholic will buy both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fluorescent

Enlightened

I'd go with the SF U2.
I purchased two Arc 4+ and was upset to find out later that all future improvements are not backwards compatable and that accessories/software for them were abandoned. Other reason has to do with quality/consistancy. The rev1 4+ was almost perfect - rev2 had/still has switch and reflector issues ( even after being sent in for repair ).

B@rt

Flashaholic

SF U2 here as well...
As much as I like Peter, I do not like the interface on the 4+, so I'll probably won't like the one on the 5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif besides, for small EDC I already have the AAA and a LS, so I won't be left in the dark... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

K-T

*Moderator*

How do they compare in size?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

One's a tiny little EDC the same size as the Arc4, meant for single-cell operation, the other is this gigantic 6.13" light with the 1.4" M2-sized bezel. If you needed a pocketable light that could be worn even with dress pants, I somehow doubt the U2 would fit. But if you need more of a SF L5-class thrower with the power of 2 lithium 123s and up to 100 lumens, the Arc5 is not going to satisfy. That's why it's hard to choose, because both are intended to fulfil so very different functions.

I like the U2 myself, but I am fully aware it is not going to sit on a keyring, and I'm still wondering whether my pockets have enough room for the massive bezel. Belt carry gets wierd looks around these parts. "What's that on your belt? Are you nuts?"

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kevin, if you are bringing U2, your keys will be the ones on the SF's rings, not the other way around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

personally, i followed the "smaller is better" slogan, but judging from the past quality of Arc4, i am a bit leaned toward the U2.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
fluorescent said:
I'd go with the SF U2.
I purchased two Arc 4+ and was upset to find out later that all future improvements are not backwards compatable and that accessories/software for them were abandoned. Other reason has to do with quality/consistancy. The rev1 4+ was almost perfect - rev2 had/still has switch and reflector issues ( even after being sent in for repair ).

[/ QUOTE ]

Future improvements are backwards compatible. Accessories and software were not abandoned. This has been posted in the Arc4 forum several times for all to see.

Now about the quality and consistency, I agree. None of my products have had the quality and consistency that I shoot for.

As far as improving our designs, you may want to check out the public beta testing going on with the new switch and software (two items you specifically mentioned above).

For established products, our defect level is similiar to our competitors (typ less than 2 units out a thousand). The difference with Arc is that we encourage people to discuss any issues that come up in a public forum. Having the owner actually post on a regular basis really brings out the most honest discussions. I will tell you that 80-90% of all problems with Arcs are first posted on the CPF before I ever receive a phone call or email. If this happened with our competitors, they would also need their own forum to contain all the tech support issues that you would expect when thousands of items are being made.

As proof, I encourage you to check our public forums for the most current issues. Notice the low rate of defect with products like the Arc-AAA, AA and LSH. Remember, this is an open forum.

Again, that is with, "established products". We also make some cutting edge products. People generally agree that these products are truly out in front from a concept point of view. The downside is they typically are rougher around the edges. But we not only give the option of owning a cutting edge product but we make it easy to find out what the issues are when they pop up.

Why do I continue to post on the CPF and in effect put up a sign saying, "the doctor is in"? If I stayed away from the CPF, more people would either not communicate when there was a problem or they would give us a call since we would be more likely to listen when they called then when they posted to some hobbyist bbs. Yes, doing our tech support in the open does sometimes give people the wrong impression about the quality of our products. But I am actually more concerned about our relationship with the customers we have. And I so I will continue to encourage open discussion about our products. People say we have excellent customer service. Such a company would naturally be more open about discussing any problems.

One competitor has possibly figured out this relationship between open communication and the impression people might get from reading that communication. Maybe that is why they closed down all their online forum presence? Maybe too much communication is a bad thing? I call it the, "chicken little" concept.

One other thing, it is not the same thing when a pro-SF person like Al (bless his heart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) encourages discussion about SF problem here on the CPF compared to what would happen if JM or PK posted here every day providing quick response to every issue. People say different things when they talk to the person who actually can change the product.

Peter

Latest posts