Need help converting Pila GL3 to LED.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was so impressed with this light I bought one from JS. I then managed to even modify a SF P91 LA to fit the light so that it cranks out 200 lumens. However after the central USA GTG I am starting to lean towards leds. Putting a direct drive led into a SF, or Pila LA would not be that hard for me, but anything else would be more than I could probably handle well. And of course I don't want just anything for this fine light. I want a flame throwing beam that would rival the P91, so here are the questions...

Has anyone converted one of these LA's to a high power, super white led?

Can it be done?

Who can do it?

About what would it cost?

It would be great if it could be contained to modifying/building just the LA alone, for a drop in. If not though I could provide a complete bezel to work with. The mass of this light would lend itself to a pretty hefty heat tolerance I believe, but it would still need to be able to run for awhile without starting a fire.

Thanks
Chuck

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you managed to get a P91 to work in the Pila, then its possible you could put a P-Bulb exchange unit in there.

Price will likely go into 3 figures, especially if you get someone else to assemble it for you. Be prepared to wait tho, as he has none left. Im waiting for him to get more myself.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
Are there any beam pics of that mod? I might be interested in doing it for a GL4R.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is what you wanted.
http://homepage3.nifty.com/katokichi/page041.html

As for the SF P91 LA Mod, no there isn't. It basically involves reshaping the outside of the LA to look like a Pila LA. I did this with a dremil tool, and a file.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.

That's the same link that kakster posted, but I don't see any beam shots. I think it's been done by others in the past, though, so I'll see if I can dig up some shots.