Silicon Grease

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
I'm having a problem locating a silicon grease to lubricate the O rings in flashlights.

Does anyone have specific recommendations and places to purchase?

JB

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Re: Silicone Grease

Thanks for the quick response. When I did a search for my misspelled "silicon grease", the only hit was this:

"The right silicone greases ( )and nygel and other lubes. I have a silicone grease that is available from marine supply stores and I am now testing it on both the silicone as well as EPDM O-rings. If it works, I'll pass on the info.It's nice and slippery!"

...leading me to believe all silicone greases are not equal.

Thanks.

JB

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little goes a long way. I lube the o-rings maybe once or twice a year, unless they get really dirty. Clean thoroughly before you lube.

Auto parts stores have it, but be careful -- in the brake parts section the exact same tube in a different package will cost several dollars more than the one in the electrical parts section. Seems to me it was $2-3, maybe a tiny bit more, vs. $5 or more for the same stuff in the brake section. Same size and same tube, just a different card that it was on.

Also, unless you want to look for food grade silicone gease (yum?), you are looking for pure, di-electric silicone grease. Other products may contain petroleum products which may or may not be bad for the o-rings, but why chance it? And not all come right out and say it, so you might want to check an MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the product.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I have been using GLY Silicone Grease on both EPDM and Silicone O-rings and have not noticed any adverse effects. It is available from Marine stores and many on-line outfits. It is found under the brand of Travaco as well as Phil. Resins.

I ran into some Silicone grease with silicone O-ring *issues* with some UW camera gear. There were two types of silicone grease from one strobe mfg. and depending on whether your silicone O-ring was blue or black you needed to use one or the other grease. Actually one grease was fine for both but the other would not work on the blue O-rings! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I put some of the GLY on both styles of O-rings and was not able to see any swelling or deterioration but since the equipment was real expensive, I stuck with the manufacturers recommendations. The most readily available silicone O-rings for the lights are the natural red/orange silicone color and from what I have seen so far, the Gly is fine.

EDIT: I changed the spelling in the subject line for future "searches" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The nit pickker could have fixed his nit had he chosen to do so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Automotive "bulb" grease works too and will only improve your flashlight's performance when used on all electrical contacts (including the battery ends). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Some greases are great insulators and will make your flashlight perform poorly if it gets on any electrical contacts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Radio Shack's SYNCOLON can handel temperatures from -45f~450f. So it can handle the heat from any Luxeon combo!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ace Hardware for silicon grease on Orings.
Try hightemp "NEVER Sieze" in small amounts on contacts - it is very conductive grease which has microscopic particles of copper and aluminum. prevents oxidation (Rust, corrosion)

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

pdm

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jbfla said:
I'm having a problem locating a silicon grease to lubricate the O rings in flashlights.

Does anyone have specific recommendations and places to purchase?

JB

[/ QUOTE ]

JB, I bought some off of ebay and the guy sent 6 tubes (expecting one!).

I can send a tube your way if you'd like. Email your snail mail and I'll send you one. Of course Ivan may delay this a bit.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Paul

jbfla

Newly Enlightened

PDM, Thank you. Sent you an email.

The third hurricane in a month! We've been lucky so far, only a lot of debris from trees, and one tree down, but it didn't hit anything....power was out for a few hours...boarding up again....

At least I was able to put some of my fancy flashlights to use.

JB