Are other companies catching up to Surefire?

ugrey

Enlightened
I have just finished looking at the Strategos and Pentagon flashlight sights. Strategos is starting small in November with a single 2x123 lithium incadescent light and Pentagon has quite a line up already with more on the way. Pentagon seems to have a direct competitor to the E2e and I can't wait to see their 4x123 Lithium incandescent, at 250 lumens, for around $125. The TNC Hyperlux V LED light has 120 lumens while the Surefire L4, L5 and L6 show only 65 lumens. My Streamlight TL-3 is a very impressive light. Try it against a SF C3 and M3. My Pelican M6 sits in my pocket as I type this instead of my SF G2. Who once said "Don't look back because someone may be gaining on you". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have a point. I do however trust the name SUREFIRE. Do these companies have reliable warranties? It is nice to have a lifetime warranty on an L1.

Its the same as Leatherman. Leatherman and Gerber make expensive knives, they are selling so high because of the name. The name Leatherman and Gerber is known and therefore is reliable.

-tom

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ask if people are Catching up to Surefire I would have to say yes and no. Within Surefires niche companies it seems have caught up to some of thier older items but the newer items are a different story, they are out ahead when it comes to full blown manufactured lights.

I think it is important to note that they have a particular market and in that market I think they are top dog. There are other niches that Surefire does not cover.

I would rather have companies all doing very different things than all doing almost the same thing. It would be nice to have companies nicely distributed in what they do at different quality levels.

I think the fact that a Pelican is being compared to a G2 does not mean people are catching up. Pelican is not a U2.

For what Surefire does, I think they are the best. I have seen the Pent lights and they do look interesting, but I do not see what they have on Surefire.

I will talk to them and find out.

paulr

Flashaholic
There's more to flashlights than lumens. I have a TL3 also, and it's a nice light, but I don't think it has anything like the toughness or shock resistance of an M3. The TL3 is a real bright flashlight. The M3 is a tactical light through and through.

ugrey

Enlightened
Inserting a link is way above my computer skill level. Try pentagonlight.com

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is far harder to lead than to follow. Leading involves more risk and expense. Surefire and Arc have earned a bit of loyalty from me. The only lights that I buy that are not from Surefire or ARC have to be different in some meaningful way. Now the modders do a very good job of making lights different.

If it comes down to buying a clone or buying a Surefire or ARC. I will buy the Surefire or ARC.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks pjandyho,

Manufacturers, if you want me to buy your light. Please make it in someway different than what I can already get.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ugrey said:
Pentagon seems to have a direct competitor to the E2e

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point they are just now catching a four year old product. When will they catch the U2?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends, really. Surefire dominates the weapon mounted light market.

There's only so much that can be done with some batteries and a bulb. Design is what sets lights apart, with performance being secondary.

Does SF make the "best" light? That can't be answered as one light may be fine for one person, yet not so optimal for another.

As for Pentagon, The two cell Xenon piece I have easily matches SF (and all other manufacturers) in terms of quality, machining, tolerances, etc. If Pentagon can get a footing, they'll exceed most users expectations.

-dan

mixerman

Newly Enlightened
I just checked out the pentagon web site, it was interesting but it reminded me of the movie Coming to America with the fast food place "Mcdowels". As in, it looked like a lot of surefire copies. (or attempts at copying)

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea. I decided to check out the Pentagon website too. There was something odd about the whole thing. Many products, but most have no picture and "not for sale." They rename common Xenon, Nichia and Luxeon lamps to "Solareon", "Starleds" and "Lunaxeon". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

They recommend flashlights based on occupation like Surefire, but they aren't available for sale in many cases. Their website is barely a month old (and the company?) It's still a baby. I haven't seen their lights offered by any dealer.

Surefire created this "tactical" flashlight niche and is finally getting limited competition, but Pentagon has a long, long way to go.

AlCanada1

Newly Enlightened
Being in the industry we are constantly checking up on competiitve activities and developments, and perhaps look at product offerings from a different viewpoint other than style and performance that most consumers and end users evaluate lights.
From all products we have evaluated in the past several months,certainly other companies are developing some interesting lights, but dollar for dollar and consistent product performance, SF lights are still the industry champs.

ugrey

Enlightened
I remember seeing and wanting a SF 6P in about 1986. It took me until about a year ago to buy my first "tactical" flashlight, a SF G2. SF pioneered this part of the business and they sure have come a long way. There is money to be made in flashlights and there are other good companies getting into the race. I just found, and looked at the LDI flashlights web site. My recent Cheaper Than Dirt catalog shows an unnamed 2x lithium 123 xenon aluminum flashlight for $40. I can only guess it is Chinese. Go look at LDI, Pentagon, Strategos and Streamlight for your selves. I am sure that SF will remain on top for a long time, but there seems to be some real competition coming. It will be great for us consumers. Just remember, you heard it here first.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
They looks like knockoffs. Not even cheap.

To make state-of-the-art flashlights is a business that requires, as said, a bit of art... and the touch of a genius.

To make flashlights for money is merely a business. I can understand, or may be even appreciate the business side of it... not the lights.

I'm playing with my L6 while typing this. It is the best balance of engineering parameters and mechanical design I ever had in my hands. Do I need less?

Anthony

Latest posts