David and Goliath

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The very small amount of light that's needed to navigate a trail in the dark continues to surprise me. So too does the distance a small light can illuminate a reflective object.

My Arc AAA is plenty of light for lighting a path and objects 20 - 30 feet away, in dark conditions. I could detect dim light reflected from shrubs 100' away. It lit up a small city limits sign at 400+ feet away. The, otherwise, invisible sign was clearly shining with only the AAA for light. Granted, a brighter light is necessary for accurate identification of faces or animals, more than, say, 40 feet away.

At the other extreme, my "2MCP" spotlight lights up trees aprox. 600'+ away. It has too much side spill which hinders seeing distant objects as well as I might. Some day I'd like to get a good spotlight that doesn't waste so much of the lamp's energy.

Of the two, David gets a AAA rating for usefulness, from me.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
What is really, truely amazing is the MK1! (Human eyeball.) The dymanic range from high noon on the equator in the desert to a glow ring in quality dark.

Larry

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ambient light has a HUGE impact on how useful a particular light level is. That's why I have stuff ranging form a photon freedom to a 2mcp spotlight. Of course there's also the distance factor. But if you want everything from night vision to seeing across a lake, that kind of range is really needed.