im sorry but this made me laugh puppy shoots man

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
I read that earlier today and loved it - until I read that 3 of the puppies were killed by the idiot before he finally got shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I would say he got what he deserved, but in order for that to be true the gun would have to have been aimed at his obviously empty head.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah i was sad about the puppys . but laughed at moron geting shot.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've heard of keeping your guns away from your kids, but to keep them away from your dogs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: im sorry but this made me laugh puppy shoots m

This whole deal is just sad to me. This guy could have taken the pups to the humane society where they might have been euthanized and yet the results would have been the same. I guess perhaps the fellow could be credited for taking full responsibility of ending these dogs lives and doing it himself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Perhaps there isn't enough information for passing jugement and then again, maybe there is. Man, I know I couldn't do what this guy did! Heck, I have taken two cats in for euthanasia and cried both times! One cat I didn't care a bit for! I read an article like this and give it any thought and I realize my own hypocracies (sp)! I eat beef but doubt I could kill a cow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I probably didn't express my thoughts well here and sorry for any offense or insults to anyone's sensibilities that may have resulted.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gizmo>

You are showing that you have a more level head than I do.
I let emotion on this work first. It is really sad to me though.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt_j

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
This whole deal is just sad to me. This guy could have taken the pups to the humane society where they might have been euthanized and yet the results would have been the same. I guess perhaps the fellow could be credited for taking full responsibility of ending these dogs lives and doing it himself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Perhaps there isn't enough information for passing jugement and then again, maybe there is. Man, I know I couldn't do what this guy did! Heck, I have taken two cats in for euthanasia and cried both times! One cat I didn't care a bit for! I read an article like this and give it any thought and I realize my own hypocracies (sp)! I eat beef but doubt I could kill a cow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I probably didn't express my thoughts well here and sorry for any offense or insults to anyone's sensibilities that may have resulted.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a valid point there but I have friends who foster dogs and they have a hard time finding homes for these animals... Somehow success rate of the shelter is little higher than single person trying to get dogs adopted. Plus chances are that if family changes their mind and they don't want the dog they can bring it back to the shelter and not thow it back on the street (not that I condone such behavior).

Matt

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depending on where you are, there are no-kill shelters. Also, I'm pretty sure chances for puppies at a shelter are pretty good. Older dogs are the ones who have problems being placed, especially if they have health or mental health issues as a result of their abuse.

Also, while I see your point Don, even if there were no no-kill shelters available, most dogs that don't have issues at least get another chance. Wouldn't cost him anything.

-john

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
polak187 said:
few years back a dog stepped on a trigger of loaded shotgun and blasted a hunter away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this happen to a distant family member about 15 years ago. The idiot left a loaded shotgun on the floor of his truck, and his dog stepped on the trigger. Nailed him around the ankle area. The doctor told him he was lucky, if the center of the blaster went 1 inch further one way, it would have severed a serious artery and he would have bled to death in a matter of minutes. Had the shotgun blast been centered an inch further the other way, it would have blown his foot off at the ankle. As it turned out, he took a serious but not fatal (they stopped the bleeding and drove him to the hospital) blast between the ankle and calf.

I think he learned a valuable lesson about gun safety. Thank goodness he recovered and survived.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Well I have some mixed feelings on this subject. My opinion is that the guy should not have done what he did. I think it was cruel if he did not try to give them away. But no dog, even a puppy, is worth more than a human life. While it may seem funny, and yes I laughed when I read it, that this guy got shot by one of the puppies he was attempting to kill it is not funny to even suggest he should have been killed instead. Do not get me wrong, I am not advocating shooting puppies if you do not want them. I would do my best to give them away then take them to the animal shelter. Where it may be they get killed anyway. But at least give them the best chance you can to survive. I guess I must be old school and really do not see it as any of my business what he did with his puppies. I could not do it unless they where sick and were going to die anyway.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no "no kill" shelters, there are only "somebody else kill" shelters. Once those no kill shelters become full they stop taking animals and finally ship them somewhere where they will be killed.

If you have an old dog who has been your companion for your life and it's sick and in pain and you think you want to be the one to end his life rather than take him to the vet, thats your business (although I'd have to argue that any vet will let you hold them as they go down after getting the shot and that has got to be LOT better for the poor creature than shooting it where you might not make a clean shot) but what kind of person shoots puppies?

The shelter will take them for free mostly. If a shelter is over crowded they sometimes put animals down faster than normally, and if you're worried about that call ahead and take them to the next town over if they have more space.

Taking responsibility for the animals means making a donation to the shelter that takes them if you are not able to find them a home. It doesn't mean killing them yourself.

The guy didn't get what he deserved for killing puppies, he got what he deserved for flunking his gun safety class.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Well, personally I have a huge issue with people who have animals euthanized simply because they "don't want them." I think it is wrong to end a life because you're too busy to deal with it, or too lazy, or didn't realize how much work it would require. Anyone who would do such a thing should not be allowed to have a pet (or a child!). A pet is a responsibility - the same as a child. Personally I think the mentality of "they would be killed anyway at the shelter" is a pretty damn crummy one. At least there they would have had some chance, rather than just being taken out and shot by some mouth-breather.

[ QUOTE ]
LifeNRA said:
Well I have some mixed feelings on this subject. My opinion is that the guy should not have done what he did. I think it was cruel if he did not try to give them away. But no dog, even a puppy, is worth more than a human life. While it may seem funny, and yes I laughed when I read it, that this guy got shot by one of the puppies he was attempting to kill it is not funny to even suggest he should have been killed instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying that any animal's life is worth more than a human being's. I guess I just don't consider someone who would just take a dog out and shoot it because he was too lazy to drive to the shelter much of a "human." The world would be a better place if there were less "humans" like that running around, IMHO.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
So a needle is better than a bullet? How? If the bullet is well placed, there is no difference, except in the emotion of the owner. I didn't read the article, but for an old pet that has been a lifelong friend, I would probably put him down myself or have a friend do it. Puppies are a different matter, but to put down an old sick dog, I don't see the difference.

-Keith

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Well, personally yes, I think a needle is probably better than a bullet. Having personally held my very sick cat while she was euthanized, I can definitely say that is a much better option than having a *hopefully but doubtfully* well-placed bullet. Perhaps many people do not actually understand how humane euthanasia works. I can tell you from firsthand experience. The pet is first given a sedative for relaxation, beforehand. Most times the owner is allowed to hold and comfort their pet the entire time. How could anyone possibly argue that shooting a fully conscious pet from a couple of feet away is an "equivalent" alternative to humane euthanasia in a vet's office? I can't even fathom the mentality behind that. If you had a gravely ill child, would you prefer the child to be taken out and shot rather than die humanely? Why should a pet be any different?

I also think the legality of it is an issue. Ok, so it's acceptable to shoot your dog when it needs to be put down. What about the rest of the time? What if you just can't find a home for your pet? What if the pet has a non life-threatening injury or needs medication that the owner is too lazy to administer? I think that making it acceptable to shoot one's pet under certain circumstances just opens the floodgates for every redneck and mullet that manages to get their hands on a firearm. How many of those people would abuse the system? How many would be terrible shots who end up putting their pet through a tremendous amount of pain in an effort to "humanely" end the pet's life? How many would try to find other methods to end the animal's life and again, end up causing suffering?

[ QUOTE ]
NeonLights said:If the bullet is well placed, there is no difference, except in the emotion of the owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's another thing that bothers me. If such a person exists that they could actually bring themselves to shoot their own pet... I personally find that pretty disturbing.

And since I'm the devil's advocate and causing debate today, I should throw in that I'm also pro-choice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
all my dogs or cats found me or i adopted em lol like that crazy ferret ill still never forget finding him on my porch i was like where ya came from and he is still with me now,my pets eat before me.even my cats and i dont like them at all lol.but i felt bad for em kinda..people around here let there dogs run around which is bad enough but at least get em fixed!!!