MAG85 & MC60 Questions Pls Help

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Wilkey and Bill, please advise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif. I had been dreaming about the Mag85 for some weeks since, (you probably remember my PMs). Finally I got some potted WA1185 ordered but still lack the reflectors, in the meanwhile I am thinking of getting a Mag Charger with some 1160 bulbs to curb my craving while waiting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I will be using potted WA1185 with Electro's 3AA-1D battery adapters to make up 9 AA Nimhs and probably a 1940 MOP, but I read there is this problem of the pedestal melting... How long can I leave the Mag85 turned on without the pedestal melting? What about the MC60? Is there any solution thus far? Thanx a lot in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. I see you're a hot wire guy as well. I'm both - lots of LEDs, but nothing puts out the insane amount of output a modified incan Mag will, that's why I've been monitoring recent developments.

About the pedestal melting, Ginseng says it won't, but js has a solution in case it does. I'm still waiting on a 1940 reflector myself. Litho123 says September 19th for the delivery of the first batch which he wants to look through before committing to any more orders. I figure October, that is, if the Surefire U2 doesn't come out and derail my budget /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
SJACKAL,

I haven't had any pedestal melting problems, Wilkey had one incident where something melted, (I don't remember what it was) but generally hasn't had any issues with the stock Mag pedestals.

The MagCharger pedestal can get very hot, and since the central portion is some type of high temp plastic it can show melting at the pin sites. That said, I have not heard of any failures, only cosmetic damage.

Others should feel free to comment if they see other problems.

Bill

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The solder blop on one of my 01185 bulbs has melted after twenty minutes... So far after arround 5 full discharges, the switch and pedestral are still perfectly fine.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Errhhh one more question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif :

How long will the WA1185 bulb last on this configuration on the average? Probably how long does it takes to blow? Thanx a lot in advance.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh... has anyone blown a 01185 this way yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two main problems I've encountered with high heat at the bulb/receiver interface. 1) The bulb itself gets hot enough to melt the solder blob at the bottom of the PR base. This is only a potential problem with the Mag85 and Mag83 configurations, 2) the plastic pin receiver area melts from the heat of extended (10 minutes +) runs of the WA01160 and above. This is potential problem but of slightly higher likelihood. You really don't have to worry about pedestal in the Mag85 melting. There is a significant mass of metal inside the plastic sleeve which distributes the heat over a large area. And the pedestal in the MC is steel so no worries.

I have never had a WA01185 die from old age. I have, however, overdriven many into bulb heaven. The one in my bedside MC85 has been through many pack cycles. I'd guess well over 30 hours of total runtime.

Wilkey

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Ahhhh, this is both assuring and enlightening, I can almost feel the lumens on my face.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag85 is the ONE light I won't point at myself... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've treated myself to a double dose of lumens in the face from a Surefire P91 (200 lu), and it is.......bad. The spots are *VERY* big and very intense. This is with daylight-adjusted eyes, too. And you can give yourself an tan with that light, you can feel the start of a burning sensation in a few seconds with the light 3ft away. 1ft away and you'll really hurt. LumiLEDs had a presentation that says 85% of the energy is converted to IR, and just 5% ends up as visible light. A 36-watt burn would hurt. Forget the matches on your next camping trip.. just bring the One Big Light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Definitely not for small children....big kids like us flashaholics may be an exception cuz there's nobody to say no /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif