Mag 2AAA modification help needed

HesNot

Enlightened
Hey all - I've done a search and found some luxeon Mag2AAA upgrade suggestions, but what I'd like to build is a Mag2AAA with a 5mm LED that would be roughly equivalent to an ArcAAA regarding brightness and regulation but with the related longer runtime from 2 AAAs as a backup long runtime light. I've thought about trying to retrofit a UKE 2AAA eled board and led into the Mag 2AAA body.

Any suggestions?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Are you looking for something like this ? With the new AAA Li batteries this might work even better...might check with the maker first (over voltage problem?)

HesNot

Enlightened
Roy - well that would be much easier than my own mod! I thought it was an LS converter althought that runtime obviously indicates that it isn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have to admit that the 6 hour runtime is a little disappointing given that an Arc AAA will run about as long on half the juice which seems counterintuitive. I am assuming the drop in pushes the LED harder than the Arc? Thanks for the tip!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the runtime with the lux mods? i've seen those on-sale for 20-25 bucks.. hard to say no.

I've seen bi-pin non-lux mods.. you should be able to get 10+hrs runtime from (2) AAAs if arc has 5hrs... depends on how bright they are... it'd be more fun to build one yourself, but maybe you'd want to save that modding for a more powerful light.

-awr ¢¢

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
If you can find those AAA Lithium cells, you can make a simple resistored light with a 3mm Nichia that can run for days. Lithium AAAs are 1.7V each, so two would give more than enough voltage to drive a white Nichia decently.