cmg bonfire led camping light

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody used this light for camping or for the tent. Looks prety cool.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Are you referring to the BonFire Blaze

I have two of the older models. The BonFire has yellow LEDs and the other is an incandescent that is motion activated.

The lanyard that is used to hang them in your tent is poorly designed and makes for a insecure hanging arrangement. You can make it work, but it's not a very good design.

These are large for a 2 AA LED light. All three models use the same body. I think the BonFire Blaze with white LEDs in the link above would be the best of the three because the yellow LEDs in the BonFire are dim and the incandescent doesn't have a very long runtime.

I might buy a BonFire Blaze to try myself, but I can't recommend them based on my use of the other two models.

Here's Quickbeam's review of the CMG BonFire
and the CMG BonFire Blaze

Here's a link to an article about the BonFire in Backpacker.com

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mcl2u said:
Has anybody used this light for camping or for the tent. Looks prety cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO: these were "ok" lights when they came out about 4 years ago, but they have serious design considerations that hamper their effectiveness: inconvenient/clumsy switch design, very large, yellow light color, etc....the led lights that are available now make IMO this light virtually obsolete....it belongs in a museum exhibit of "early examples of l.e.d. light design". Try a (CMG) Gerber infinity....get one from Countycomm or Brightguy....small, incredible runtime, great light output for a tent light, bombproof, etc

Hope this helps

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info. Since we're on the topic what would you guys suggest as a good camping led lantern.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I don't use lanterns anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

If everyone has a headlamp you don't need lanterns. I can use two Petzl Zipkas hung on branches, etc.

When we go camping we just use headlamps and ARC AAs or Ultra-Gs. If we're in bear country I also take a Surefire M6 and a firearm.

If we're car camping we take florescent lanterns.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
What to look for in florescents. That's probably another topic.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I just sent my parents a 12 LED lantern for hurricane season in Florida. They like it, it's got a dimmer and runs on 4D batts. It was 20 bucks at overstock.com, sigman's post here at CPF turned me onto it.

However, when I go camping, I hang an Ultra-G from the tent for light inside, use a VIP to walk around, my wife likes her Petzl Tikka headlamp for everything from reading to bathroom, I put an Opalec-Mag on the table, but my cousin brings out his propane lantern iand it rocks.

As to fluorescents, Energizer makes two folding lanterns, one that runsof 4 Ds and one that runs on AAs or AAAs.

welcome again,
daloosh

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Here's a link to a old tread about lanterns.

I like the Energizer 4D folding lantern for about $13 at Walmart. I had some of these but I gave them to my family and I haven't found any more in stock. I did see one at R.E.I. I should have bought it, but it was $17. I recommend these if you can find them. I think they run 20 hours on high and 40 hours on low.

I still have some Coleman Remote Control lanterns that I like because I have hard cases for them.

I also have the Coleman Pack Away lantern. These are not very bright, but they are OK.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a review from Doug's Flashlightreviews site on the Energizer 2 Led folding Led light/lantern. Personally I think this is very handy for a camping lantern... Plus, for the price, it can't be beat!

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I have an evaluation of the same lantern right here if you're interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops sorry Craig, didn't realise you'd reviewed the same unit as well... Didn't mean to leave you out there, mate!

Craig, the link you gave doesn't seem to be working, maybe you haven't restored this page yet?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... i just tried it again, and it works now... Don't think it was your link/site/page. Seems to have been a hiccup in our office connection... Thanks anyway Craig!