My ARC4+ won't work with brand new CR123A

Status
Not open for further replies.

la_panza

Newly Enlightened
My ARC4+ won\'t work with brand new CR123A

Maybe I'm asking for something known by everybody but me, sorry for bothering...
It's the first time I replace the battery on my arc4+ premium since I bought it, the new battery is a TekCell (made in Corea) CR123A. Ths ARC4 does the reset procedure correctly, up to maximum, brightness, but after that, there is no way to turn it on..
I really don't unberstand if it's amechanical problem or a software one, I heard about some compatibility problems with some brands of batteries... Please Help!

Last (bat not least) question, in case there's a software bug, I STILL HAVE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT "UPGRADING THE SOFTWARE" MEANS IN PRACTICE, I know I have right for a free upgrade, but what should I do? Ship the unit to ARC? I live in Italy, and I need the lamp nearly every day!
Please clear up my ignorance :) thanks in advance..
Adolfo

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My ARC4+ won\'t work with brand new CR123A

Rev1 or Rev2?
Some of the Rev2s are a bit picky with the battery brand you use.. This is due to the small difference in battery length.

Your problem is more likely to be with the tailswitch, not the software.
Hope this points you in the right direction. Oh, and welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello la panza and welcome to the CPF.

Sounds like the cell is to short for the switch. There is a fix in the works (read, "Arc4 switch beta test") which you are eligible for of course. A temporary fix is to add some solder to the rear contact of the cell to increase its length.

The software upgrade (just new features) is done by sending the light to Arc. We then reprogram it and recalibrate it. This requires a special programmer, which we have here.

The switch upgrade should be ready in about 3 weeks. I recommend you send the light in and have both the switch and software done at the same time. It will take about 2 weeks from when we get the light.

Send us an email please.

Hope this helps.

Peter

la_panza

Newly Enlightened

Dear Peter, please let me speak frankly, I love this tool since I got it, it is essential for my night-time walks, at home, at my workplace, everywhere, yet, apart from this, it's a VERY expensive tool, and a customer would never expect it to be critical "because of some spread in the battery length", but specially one would never think he has to return the tool to the factory (overseas for us europeans) just for a pushbutton fix or a firmware update..
Please don't misunderstand me, I repeat, I've been very happy with it so far, but now that I think I will have to repack it, send it back to USA (spending some more money), doing without it fore some weeks, i'm asking to myself "is it really worth it?"
I was reading about some interesting features like "strobo" here in the forum, I was quite tempted to have this feature, but if I knew clearly from the beginning that every firmware upgrade was the equivalent of a "service recall", maybe I wouldn't buy it...
I will send you an email as you asked, anyway, excuse me for being so "brutal".....
Just for information, I've made a "last resort" experiment, before dropping solder on the battery I just tried to reverse the cone-shaped spring in the tailswitch... I've pot the base of the cone facing to the battery.. in this position it seems to work somehow....
Thankyou for patience, apologize again...

la_panza

Newly Enlightened
strobo feature

Hi, Peter, I was rewiewing some old posts of mine, I'm in the forum since may 2004....
By chance I've seen this thread I started,

Hello all, just joined the forum

in this thread I proposed a strobo feature... perhape my proposal was not expressed correctly (my english is quite poor), the proposal was not at all taken seriously , it caused some funny humor in the replies... :)

I would be quite proud if I knew I was the first customer wanting a strobo function in the arc4, would I win any award in such a case? :) :)

(fixed link, Bart)

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: strobo feature

Hi Adolfo,

Another easy solution you might try for a short battery is to add a piece of folded aluminium foil between the battery and the gold disk in the back. This will allow you to leave the spring unchanged..

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

la panza, the computer in the flashlight does not have a built in way to connect to the internet like your home computer does. Otherwise updating the software would be as easy as downloading a patch and installing it yourself. The ability to accept a patch via internet download requires a set of features that would be more expensive than the current setup.

In the meantime, the programmer we use is a custom built unit and fairly expensive compared to the flashlight itself. The best way for us to update the software is to have it here.

I don't plan on offering updates very often, maybe once a year if that. The software we have does all the basic stuff you would need already. It is just better to have the option to update in case we ever wanted to change something.

Sorry for the hassle with the switch itself. Most lights are uneffected but everyone is eligible for the new switch design, even if the switch they have works fine. Since this is a known defect, we are offering to repair it for no charge. As far as the shipping cost, I will try to reduce those by using our fedex account.

I got your email. Thanks.

Peter

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

When the switch tests and such are ready to be fitted into units i would like to send mine in for both as well. My light works but i think it MIGHT need to be reprogrammed. It doesnt go through the normal proceedure when i insert a fresh cell. i get the just barely light up, then off, then nothing. (i saw on the video it's supposed to scroll through different levels of brightness right after you insert a new cell) But i can turn the light fine, my hi and low, and minimum brightness seem to all work. Perhapse mine just needs to be flashed and/or calibrated. Might as well send it in and get the software and switch as well if they are available. What is the cost for these upgrades Peter? Shot me a PM with the details.

Shane

la_panza

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Another easy solution you might try for a short battery is to add a piece of folded aluminium foil between the battery and the gold disk in the back. This will allow you to leave the spring unchanged..

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Greg, that was the first idea I had, I tried it but it did not work, I've tried two brands of cells, the TekCell and a Varta, both have the same problem.. the button acts like "blocked", it seems to have no travel at all, inserting a small piece of folded aluminium doesn't change anything.
By reversing the spring, instead, the switch has a more noticeable travel, pressing on it a slight internal "click" can be felt and the light comes on...
The pity for this is that the gold disk in contact with the battery, is strained by the spring itself, I think that's not good for its health, in conclusion it's not an elegant solution, but thst's the only one allowing me to keep using the light..

bye

la_panza

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
la panza, the computer in the flashlight does not have a built in way to connect to the internet like your home computer does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do realize that, I only thought there was some cable one could buy (or build) and have the possibility to upgrade via Rs232, or USB... or whatever..

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the hassle with the switch itself. Most lights are uneffected but everyone is eligible for the new switch design, even if the switch they have works fine. Since this is a known defect, we are offering to repair it for no charge. As far as the shipping cost, I will try to reduce those by using our fedex account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did yoy ever consider the "machine swapping" alternative? Many companies do that with units showing known defects, some mounth ago I bought a computer accessory that soon started having problems.. I called a phone green number that I found on a label on the machine, They told me it was a known problem, they asked me for shipping back the unit via Fedex (or DHL? I don't remember) and to communicate them the track number for the pack.
After one day they sent me a new unit, with all the flaws fixed... I appreciated it very much
[ QUOTE ]
I got your email. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not send any email yet! Please don't mistake me by someone else :)

Bye..

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I know it's not helping you folks now, but I can tell you the new switch design really improves the ability to use any 123-cell. Every type of 123-cell that I've tested, worked great. Even cells that are damaged to the point where the positive "tit" was smashed in worked fine. Just hang in there. There about 30-days out from what I recall.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
la_panza said:
Did yoy ever consider the "machine swapping" alternative? Many companies do that with units showing known defects, some mounth ago I bought a computer accessory that soon started having problems.. I called a phone green number that I found on a label on the machine, They told me it was a known problem, they asked me for shipping back the unit via Fedex (or DHL? I don't remember) and to communicate them the track number for the pack.
After one day they sent me a new unit, with all the flaws fixed... I appreciated it very much

[/ QUOTE ]

Adolfo,

Peter will gladly send you a replacement if you feel that there is something wrong with yours. All you need is to send it in to him and he will send you a new one without hesitation.

This is what he did for me when I dropped my original Arc4+ Rev1 on the button, breaking the microswitch in front. Since I was also unhappy with the Luxeon tint being a little bit too green on my Rev1, I asked Peter to send me a replacement instead of performing a repair on my original Arc4+ Rev1.. The new Arc4+ Rev2 I received as replacement came in the nice new presentation box, with two batteries and is very white and bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Peter's service and response to customers is second to none. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I would like to do every upgrade like gregw, but we simply don't have enough Arc4s. You guys have them all!

But each case is unique, just ask Merri nicely when you email. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Well, I would like to do every upgrade like gregw, but we simply don't have enough Arc4s. You guys have them all!

But each case is unique, just ask Merri nicely when you email. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter, I'm glad I managed to get my hands on one of those you had available... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Thanks again for the great service.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

I should make that last point a little more clear just to limit any hard feelings or unmet expectations: we are out of Arc4s. Even if you totally sweet talk Merri, she's going to ask that you send your light in for the updates.

I will be glad to have this whole switch issue behind us..

Btw, for those new to Arc, Merri is my wife. We work together and she handles warranty returns among other things. It helps her day go better when people are courteous in their communications. She also doesn't like to dissapoint people; some requests put her in a difficult spot.

Here's how a typical Arc4 update would happen:

1. You have an Arc4 you want updated
2. Contact Arc ([email protected] and [email protected] go the same place)
3. We do not use RMA numbers. We will ask that you ship us the light back with your return address and contact information (phone, email).
4. If you are in a foreign country, only have one Arc4 or some other special situation, here the time to pitch your case.
5. If a new light is being sent out, it could take several months for us to get it built. Even though warranty and updates take precendance over new sales, we really aren't prepaired for rapid service on what amounts to basically a large recall.
6. If we are servicing your existing light (we really prefer this), the repair should take no longer than 2 weeks once your light arrives at our factory.

We should be able to start the switch and software updates in October.

And yes, I agree. Our customers shouldn't have had to endure this in the first place. This whole switch issue is a sore point with us all. Cooler heads will prevail and we will get this taken care of. Sorry for it taking so long.

Peter

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

You sure sound alot like Italian car manufacturers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Keep up the good work Peter! May the new switch rule!

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Again I may suggest that there should be a 'programming point' in Europe.
I assume that the EU is the second largest amrket for Arc products after the US (am I wrong? Is it Japan?). And sending goods in and out the EU could always be a hassle (and expensive).
In a post many months ago you suggetsed that you thought about selling a programming interface for end users. Even when this may not happen, you suggested a price of 100$ for it. That means for me, that the parts inside such a device would be cost much less than that. And as you already have one device, the mechanical design is given. And it does not need a nice case etc. and long instructions as it would be operated by 'professionals'.
I'm shure such a device will pay for itself in a short time.
Hopefully there will be one around when the 'mass' production runs flawless on Arc4s and the following lights. There was no need as long as no other software was available, but soon....
And it will support European dealers, as they could charge people higher who bought their Arcs abroad...

Status
Not open for further replies.