Where do I find information on the Surefire U2?

4wheelrider

Newly Enlightened
I am very close to buying my first Surefire. I found this forum searching for information on the L2. Now I read that there is a U2 that will have 6 settings. I cannot find any information on it other than that. Please help.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Where do I find information on the Surefire U2

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif nice summary, John /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
smoker.gif

bernhard

indenial

Enlightened

LOL. 4wheelrider, I personally spoke to a SF rep in July and he assured me it would be available late August, early September at the latest!

You'll soon discover NO manufacturer ever lives up to their release dates. Anyone here disagree?

luxlover

Banned

Hey gang. Let's try to be optimistic about the U2's release date./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif After all, early September ends in 3 days, at which point it will be mid September! After that we can give them hell!..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

indenial

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
Hey gang. Let's try to be optimistic about the U2's release date./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif After all, early September ends in 3 days, at which point it will be mid September! After that we can give them hell!..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have inside information luxlover or are you being optimistic?

Flashlight Enthusiast

U2 look like such a fantastic light, I that am willing to wait so they work out any bugs. U2 I think will be the ultimate luxeon LED on the market when it is released.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just talked with SF HK distributor a couple days ago and was told U2 will only be available at the end of the year:-(

By the past experience, availability of SF new models in Hong Kong is normally one month earlier than the U.S. due to simplier distribution channels.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

^Oh well, more time to perfect the U2. I'm willing to wait....

indenial

Enlightened

Actually, based upon what the SF Rep was telling me a delay of that length makes sense. There were still several issues with the light that had yet to be resolved from what he said. That's issues, NOT problems. Mostly design choices. I agree that I'd rather have them get it right than rush to release a less than perfect product. Who knows, I might even be able to afford the $270.00 by then!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm more concerned about actually being able to *GET* one when it comes out...

Christmas 2004 would be sweet. For that price and the delay it had *BETTER* be perfect.

luxlover

Banned

Indenial,
Sorry that I appear to have ignored your question. I am very late. I just looked over this thread. I have no inside information, and I can assure you that I am suffering as much as all other members who crave the U2. Therefore, the answer is optimistic.

indenial

Enlightened

No problem luxlover! I'm not sure if I'll buy one when it arrives, but I'm curious to hear the reviews.

Size15's

Flashaholic

What do you want to know about the U2?
I've been carrying and using one for quite some time.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Al,
What bin is the LED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

sorry, let me get it...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

bin? The LED came from a reel not a bin. Don, I thought everybody knows that?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
What do you want to know about the U2?
I've been carrying and using one for quite some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will it cure cancer, end hunger, bring peace to the world, help me find my dream girl, get me a pay raise and pick winning lottery numbers for me?

Oh wait, this is a flashlight we are talking about..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For those familiar with the Doom computer game franchise by ID Software, one wit quipped "Doom 3.. has slightly lower expectations around it than the Second Coming." The faithful have been waiting ten years for it, so Surefire's slipping release target isn't so bad, really. Of course, it had better change the world when it comes out...

The main $270 question is.. is it worth buying?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, shouldn't be replying to my own post (bad form), but two more questions:

* Voltage - 9V capable? Can we use 2xR123s (8.4V peak)?
* If not, Pila compatible?

I'm aware that these questions haven't been conclusively answered even though PK took a Pila from Jon, so if 'that's all we know at the moment', that's ok because the lights are still considered preproduction and will be until they ship.

luxlover

Banned

Al,
You are so right! Of course they took the emitter off a reel before they installed it inside the bezel.

Therefore the following question is most appropriate..... What was the Luxeon binning code of the reel it was taken from, per "application brief AB21 Luxeon Product Binning and Labeling?"

Don,
It is obvious that you and Al have this information. Keep in mind that we at CPF have ways to "extract" such information from both of you! Make it easy on yourselves, and speak up now!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif.....to you too!

Size15's

Flashaholic

Luxlover,
I have no idea what bin it came from.

KevinL,
I have been under the long standing impression that the U2 Bezel can not handle three SF123A batteries.

I think it best that SureFire (PK) clarify what it can and can't be driven by.

Al