countdown for the mag85

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
UCL lense, check
1185 bulbs: coming soon.
9 panasonic NiMH AA's: check
Mag 3-D, check
carley 1940 reflector: coming in a few days.

Now all I'm missing are them elektrlumen 3AA to D holders.

the clock is ticking....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif Christmas is coming early this year.....

juancho

Enlightened
270 Winchester: Lets share a little more information, like what about the capacity of those Panasonics? what recharger you are going to use? and discuss other things like the choice of UCL lens ( a borofloat is a better solution in high heat situations)

In my understanding a not to high capacity in those NIMH's something around 1800 MHA's is better than the ones at 2200.

More information should be shared betwen the builders of this mod. to make it right.
Maybe Litho 123 and bwaites can give us some pointers.

Juan C.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about these ones?

aventrade.com (discussion)

aventrade_1793_355636.jpg

-john

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Juan: call me nick,if you would, i don't care much about them alias:)

I'm gonna use Panasonic 2100's, with their 4-hourcharger labeled BQ-390 Quick Charger.

As for the UCL lens, the website flashlightlens.com gave very vague description of the "heat strengthened" lens, but i chose the 52.1mm ucl for its low cost, and the need for some lenses quick for my recent 3/123+GH24 modsand it's working out great. If the ucl does not work out, I will go ahead and get some borofloat. do you know a place to get them? I talked to litho123 and he gave me some great adivices that led to most of the above list of preperation, and i am open to any suggestions.....after all, if I'm gonna make a 800+ lumen light canon, I'm gonna do it right, and your help would be primo.....

have a good night and happy sunday.....

Nick

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

How about these ones?

aventrade.com (discussion)

aventrade_1793_355636.jpg

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

JOHN:
Tried them, too much resistance within. I used 6 NiMH's in my 2d, and when i poped my 6-D bulb in, the light out-put was....to put in mildly....worse then my minimag.....

the reason why I'm waiting for the elektrolumen's holder is the low resistance, quoting Wayne, <.1 ohm, so that should do the trick.

thanks though.

Nick

juancho

Enlightened
Hi Nick,
Borofloat lens is also available from Flashlightlens, and your choice of the UCL for your mod. with 3-123's is right as they don't produce too much heat to be an issue, you are also o.k. to use the plastic stock reflector in your 3-123's for the same reason.

but the Mag85 is something else, Borofloat lens or the lens used in the MagCharger are the propper ones, mod Carley 1940 reflector of course and we all waiting anxiously for those 3 to D's from Electrolumens.

What I hope is that your thread will serve to exchange some more information about this mod. Maybe Ginseng will come back to give us some help??

Juan C.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Juan:
Flashlightlens only had size 32mm and under for the borofloat lenses, as far as i can tell. do i need to call them and talk with them personally?
I just realized that at this point the moderator is gonna move this thread to Home Mod again, like my last thread about the 3/123 mod, oops, this what happens when hotwiring people start talking....:)

juancho

Enlightened
Nick,
You are right, I just checked their site and not 52.1 mm was available. Just 3 months ago I bought several borofloats for my mods. Borofloat is similiar to Pyrex and is ideal for high heat situations.
With so many Mag85 been done by our members, somebody should talk to Flahlightslens to bring back the Borofloats.

Juan C.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif no Borofloat 52.1mm!!

I have heard comments advising against the use of normal UCL from some modders who have popped the lenses from the heat. OK, $7 down the drain, where next? Not a good idea.

That and I am still waiting for the next round of Carleys.. yeah, I missed the group buy, my bad. Didn't realize the power and the promise of the Mag85 until a while later, hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I bought a bunch of Sanyo 2100mAHs cheap, these seem to be highly recommended. No idea until I put them into the light and find out, though. They've been running a small 1W Luxeon lantern to date, but that's hardly demanding.

juancho

Enlightened
I just sent an E-mail to Flashlightslens asking to bring back the Borofloat in 52.1 mm
I also asked him to post his reply in CPF, so everybody with an interest to buy the Borofloat glass will see it.

Juan C.

03lab

Enlightened
Hmm, I was going to do this mod but my Perfect Mag Reflector got bent beyond use during shipping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif How much are those Carleys and where can I get one?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 mag85's and have been using UCL's in both without cracking them. I may have just been lucky, though.

I have Borofloats in the Mule.

JohnN, those are parallel adaptors, not series adaptors.

2100MaH AA's are on the border, 2000MaH and below are the best for the Mag85 conversion. As I understand it, as the rating goes up, the robustness of construction drops, (thinner layers, smaller anode/cathode, etc.)

This allows the heat buildup in the cell to break it down. That said, the relatively small diameter of the AA helps it out as the heat escapes better than in larger cells.

Bill

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
JohnN, those are parallel adaptors, not series adaptors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I didn't know he wanted a series adapter. I have some series adapters from Chief W, but he made them all by hand and I don't think he has plans to make any more.

-john

juancho

Enlightened
Chris from Flashlightslens said that he will order more Borofloats 52.1 and expect to have them in about a month.
I also pointed him to this thread for any update.

Juan C.

buba

Newly Enlightened
1185 bulbs - potted: on order, coming soon.
9 2250MaH NiMH AA's: check
Mag 3-D: check
Borofloats 52.1 lense: must wait on FlashlightsLens
Carley 1940 reflector: Missed the group buy, must wait
Elektrolumens 3AA to D series holders: on order coming soon.

Slowly working my way toward a Mag85 mod.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
juancho said:
I just sent an E-mail to Flashlightslens asking to bring back the Borofloat in 52.1 mm
I also asked him to post his reply in CPF, so everybody with an interest to buy the Borofloat glass will see it.

Juan C.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks juan. Is he a cpFer as well?

Nick

juancho

Enlightened
YES, he is a member of this Forum with 916 posts, I have purchase from his company UCL's and Borofloats lenses and WA01160 bulbs and get fantastic service (very quick shipping, E-mail order acknowlodge, and free shipping)
I only wish Chris will add more items of interest to us, maybe if we all ask he can bring some of the specialty potted bulbs we crave and modified 1940 Carley reflectors.
Especially for those members that have missed the Group-Buys.

Juan C.

oldtimer

Enlightened
Too bad the battery life on the lower capacity NiMHs are horrible. =/ I belive someone said that they had trouble fitting the 2300s into the holders too.