Why All The Excitement Over The...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

...CMG Infinity? Is it like super bright or something? I have a Photon 2 (older wide beam, but with heatshrink collar over the protruding led bulb), how would they compare?

Just curious -- actually, I'm looking for justification for yet ANOTHER light!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the BIGGEST excitement about the Infinity is Mr. Ted Bear's ARC head adapter for it to use an ARC AAA head in the Infinity's AA batttery holder, resulting in a MUCH longer run-time.

I don't have an CMG yet, but I think that most people here buy it because it ISN'T super bright- the ARC is a lot brighter, but the Infinity is better for close up tasks like reading etc. and has good battery longevity.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMG Infinity = Many hours of Dim Light

IMHO it's not of much use, except in situations where you eyes are already adapted to the dark.

Of course there are some who find it very useful. I don't doubt their opinion for a minute. They must just have different needs than me.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave away my CMG task light because it wasn't as bright as a Photon, and was MUCH larger. Some people like it for the batteries, but 2016s aren't hard to find for the Photon, and it only takes a couple of minutes to change them out. It's not like you have to do that very often...

Darell

Flashaholic
I'm not sure I've seen much excitement over the Infinity. Ever. Except maybe for the Arc-Finity mod. I too just gave an Inifinity away. Almost wish I didn't now that the adapter is available, but what are ya gonna do?

Empath

Flashaholic
The excitement has subsided, and the unique ground-breaking accomplishment has been all but forgotten. At times I wonder if many really remember the niche CMG has carved in flashlight history.

Mr. Bulk, you've probably noticed the outstanding little marvel called the Arc AAA. Imagine, a little LED light using a single cell, constructed of durable aluminum, and made to last. Have you noticed the similarity in the basic design and concept? The Arc was not the first of it's breed. The Infinity was. The Arc offers advantages in the way of brightness, and other improvements, but the Infinity was the trailblazer.

At a time that LED lights were long enough to be used as pool cues, CMG engineered a little light that didn't need the normal 3 cell configuration. They built a light with a DC to DC step-up converter that permitted a single cell to supply the required 3.6+ voltage needed to drive the lamp. With rock solid construction and an innovative concept there was plenty to be excited about.

It was exciting enough that I purchased one at the first opportunity when it was announced. Likewise, I purchased the Arc AAA immediately when it was introduced. To tell the truth, after seeing the similarity in design and concept, I wondered if there wasn't some relationship between Arc and CMG. I figured the similarity of design and concept were too close to be incidental. The Arc AAA, due to it's size and brightness, immediately replaced the Infinity in my pocket, but my excitement was for the concept introduced by the Infinity. I've since purchased several Infinity lights and Arcs, and both are very special lights.

And as Paul Harvey would say... now you know...

Darell

Flashaholic
As usual, Empath, you make great points. Makes my comment seem a bit shallow now, huh?
rolleyes.gif

When the CMG came out, I wasn't yet into LED lights, so I'm sure I missed the hub-bub. It was, however, the first LED light that I ever purchased. It was immediately followed by the Arc, and suddenly the CMG just didn't cut it anymore. But it is obvious that they started a great thing with the single-cell DC-DC light. Thanks for the insight.