CCrane LED car light & closeout on AA dummy batts

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried this little CCrane rechargeable car LED light? It advertises:

A smart, rechargeable single LED flashlight for your car or truck. The special optical lens focuses light, making it just right for reading a map in the car, or looking for a lost quarter under your seat. The Optic-Light plugs into a cigarette lighter receptacle and the internal battery fully recharges in just two hours. A blue LED indicates the flashlight is charging. Fuse protected. For DC 12V car use only. Weight: 1.3 oz. Size: 4.9" L x 1" Dia.

$14.95 for the light seems a reasonable price.

It might have a Nichia LED in it with an optic. I was wondering if anyone has tried the car light? Can you take it apart? Of course I was thinking of the modding potential of the light. Add a better emitter, maybe adding electronic depending on the room inside the light. I'm sure there can't be too much room in the light and most of the insides must be for the battery (or batteries). But the light, even being stock, would be convenient for keeping in a car glove box and simple to keep powered up using a car power outlet.

emergency-led-flashlight.jpg

CCrane RECHARGEABLE CAR LIGHT

Another item that could work for some people and is on closeout at CCrane is AA dummy battery cells. They are selling for 10 for $10…$1 each.

Ccrane AA DUMMY CELLS CLOSEOUT

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The AA dummy batteries have been on closeout for months. I bought some for some hotwire mods. The quality is pretty good.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CCrane package came quick.

I now have two of the car lights and 10 dummy batteries. I measure on the average of .3 to .4 ohms resistance for the dummy batteries which is not too bad. I had a thought as I was testing these dummy batteries. I suppose if you had a 4AA battery set up in a light and you wanted less voltage you put a dummy battery in the light. But what if you wanted a little less voltage than 3AA + dummy battery would give you? Or you wanted 3AA battery life but 2AA voltage? You could hack open a dummy battery and put a resistor in in it then seal it back up. You'd have instant 2AA voltage and 3AA run-time.

Soon I'll be hacking open the car lighter LED. Let's see what it has in it. I do know the light has a rubber covered clicky switch on the plastic cylinder. The body of the light could use a little reinforcement and I could add a little weight to it. What to do for a mod? Brighter, more power, regulation? I do have some Xnova electronics laying around. My friend and I will be investigating the light tonight. I know I can turn these little car lights into a shining stars.