• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired What will it cost me to get my KL3 "fixed"???

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
What will it cost me to get my KL3 \"fixed\"???

What should I be saving up for a money order to get my KL3 LUX 3'd with about 1000ma and a reflector? Perhaps regulated?

As it stands now, I suppose it is bright enough...

But it has a most displeasing pinkish/purpleish tint.

I'd likely try and get a nice aluminum body and clickie to match it then.

I await the verdict! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

albert

Enlightened
Re: What will it cost me to get my KL3 \"fixed\"???

I have a KL3 modded by Chop with a LuxIII with a modified pelican reflector, stock circuit overdriven to 1200mA. What can i say??? I simply love it. It's freaking bright with freaking good throw.

Chop or CM are the 2 fellas i trust to do KL3 mod. I suggest you PM them on pricing.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Joe,
If you come to one of the upcoming DFW get togethers, I can show you the KL3 I did. I put in a TWAK Lux III, boosted the stock circuit to 1A, and put a Fraen LP in it. The Fraen is a good choice if you don't want to start cutting on the KL3 body, as I believe you need to do for the PM6 reflector to fit. Chop and CM are the guys to talk to!!! Without CM's help/advice, I wouldn't have been able to mod the stock circuit.

Also, FWIW, I tried putting an IMS 27mm reflector into my modded KL3, and found that in order to get it so that the stock lens and bezel ring fit back into place, way too much of the reflector had to be trimmed. I found that I liked the Fraen better. Oh well... Chop can get the PM6 reflector in with a UCL lens in place of the stock Pyrex lens though.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just a few words of clarification. On the KL3's that I mod, I DO NOT remove material from the KL3. The PR is modified (turned down in a lathe) to fit into the KL3. I also face the reflector off allowing the use of the nice and thick stock lens. Although the retaining ring doesn't fit completely flush, the mod works quite well. Of course, the use of the UCL makes for a cleaner install. I've just never bothered with it.

I've found that the removal of the material necessary to make the PR fit into the KL3 really doesn't affect the beam much at all. I haven't had any complaints yet anyway.

Just a word of caution though, I was buying PR's a bunch at a time because every once in a while I had to eat one. The reflective surface is very delicate and messing it up in a lathe is easy to do.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can anyone post a picture of the front of the head of a modded KL3 showing the lens and the reflector? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey! Chopmeister! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I've had a couple of Chop'd KL3s but they keep walking off on "G3s" with family members.

Icarus, I looked but I don't have a photo of my Chop'd KL3 800ma T with the Pelican Reflector, but it is superb. I have another on the way and this baby is running at 1.2A and I don't need to be concerned about heat. That's why I like the KL3, lots of metal and fins. Plus, this one will be mounted on metal tubes instead of Nitrolon. Got 3 Balrog bodies coming for it.

I'll take some photos of it and email them to you.

I agree that either Chop or CM are fine choices for modding your KL3. I'm guessing about $75.00-80.00, but I don't remember for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Britt, I'm looking forward to the pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Many thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif I'm thinking about a LuxV for my KL3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

icarus,

If you go with a LuxV in that KL3, just remember that the KL3 has a buck converter in it. I may be mistaken, but I believe that you'd need to run that on 3X123 to get regulation. CM, where are you? This is your department.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just to save Britt some time, here are some pics of the latest KL3 that I did.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Any weird reflections that you see in the reflector are from the camera that I used. And for some reason, the retaining ring looks all screwed up in the pics. Must be shadows or something because it isn't all screwed up like that. LOL

This particular mod sports a TVOJ Lux III running at about 1.2A. It also has an uncharacteristicly smooth PR in it that will maximize performance.

As for the beam shots, it looks just like any other PR equipped light running at 1+A.

What the heck, one beam shot. About 20' from a white wall. It really doesn't do the beam justice because you really can't see the side spill, but you can notice that the whole room is lit up, if that shows on your monitor.

picture.JPG

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

WooHoo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Thanks, Tony.

Britt

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened

Tony, I have been thinking about this mod for a while, I have a stock KL3 donor, what's the cost?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pictures Tony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
icarus,

If you go with a LuxV in that KL3, just remember that the KL3 has a buck converter in it. I may be mistaken, but I believe that you'd need to run that on 3X123 to get regulation. CM, where are you? This is your department.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to run my KL3 with WX1S emitter on two Pila's at 1.2A. Any idea about runtime (in regulation)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Which Pilas are you going to be using?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
Which Pilas are you going to be using?

[/ QUOTE ]
Tony, I want to use 2x Pila150S batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

icarus,

I'm really not an electronics guru and I'm really bad at math. There are, however, a couple of considerations that I can mention here. First, the 150S only has a 1000maH capacity which isn't that much. I'd recommend that you bore your batt tube, if you can, to accommodate the 150A cell which has a 1200maH capacity.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that you'll get about 45 minutes at 1.2A.

Latest posts