El Cheapo Lights Popping Up All Over

Tentou

Newly Enlightened
It seems like EVERYONE is getting into the LED act these days. Even though I don't ever buy things from catalogs, I end up receiving about 2 a week and I've noticed that places like Heartland and some close-out/overstock places are offering the multi-LED lights with some dubious claims. Not just places like Cabela's, which also has Luxeon lights and a pretty good reputation, but places like Overstock.com, which has several multi-LED lights that look pretty cheap and have a retail in the high sub-100 price range. Of course, they slash that price down to about 35 bucks to make it seem like a deal, but it's still a ripoff when you could get a seriously good light for that from the online places we know and love.

I suggest a clearinghouse thread or section for "El Cheapo" lights like that so that we can add them as we find them in case anyone wants to look or wants to look and see what is being passed off as "100 LUMEN 500000000 HOURS RUN TIME ON 1 BUTTON CELL SIGNALS SATELLITES CURES CANCER."

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seriously wonder where the ad writers get their information. I seriously doubt an ad writer is smart enough to actually look at the product with a clear head or have the guts to say that the specs are not true. It also doesn't help that there is no standard to testing lights. So light manufacturers go with lux, or lumens, or candlepower or lux at one meter. Wait for the public to see what there super-powered, unbreakable bulb really does. At the worst it will be a wimpy, ringy beam that will slowly die 20 minutes with a blue or green beam projecting 3-inches. With the overblown specs many light seller push on the package and ads it could turn the public off buying LED lights within two years. Then a good and rare LED light will only be for the elite, niche, market and be considered a novelty or for the eccentric people.

I still believe that this is the best of times and the worst of times for an LED light.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes my gift lights look good. When the recipient goes head to head with someone else's trashy, underpowered or overdriven LED and wins, it makes ME look good indirectly, and that's a good thing.

Then we flashaholics will get less wierd looks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wualta

Newly Enlightened
Okay, how's this for el cheapoesque: Big Lots is selling a 4AAA 3-LED flashlight for $3.50. Package says "Sharp Beam" and "Bright Lite". Gasketed. Momentary pushbutton selects 1,2 or 3 LEDs lit. Battery compartment has interesting captive bolt securing it. Kinda ringy, since the 3 LEDs are buried in a reflector a la Nuwai, but not bad. With all 3 LEDs on, it's not *quite* as bright as a "good" Dorcy 1 AAA, but of course it's only half the cost (and twice the size). Might be fun for modders or kids. --Walt