Skydiving....wow!

scuba

Enlightened
I tried skydiving today. I received a jump as a birthay present from my brother and finally did it. I have never been that scared in my entire life. It sure wasn't natural for me to jump from that plane at 13000 feet but took a deep breath and did it! It sure was the most incredible and exhilarating adrenaline rush that I've ever experienced!

I was wondering if there were any skydivers on this forum or if anybody else has ever had the chance to try it...

2dim

Enlightened
Nowadays I think you have to do it strapped to someone else. I was alone and never felt so stupid in my life as dropping like a rock, just before the main chute opened. I mean, what a dumb way to die. Sure was nice though, hanging there on the way down nice and secure, very peaceful until about 10 feet above the ground...

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got into skydiving after Army jump school. Every time I went up I was thinking, "What the hell am I doing up here?" My last jump 10 years ago wasn't quite the same thrill or feeling of accomplishment as the first few. Also, the owner of my DZ was killed on a tandem jump--passenger died too. I mostly enjoyed skydiving and might do it again some day.

B@rt

Flashaholic
After seeing someone who jumped last out of the plane and landed first, I decided never to jump out of a perfectly fine aeroplane... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
After seeing someone who jumped last out of the plane and landed first, I decided never to jump out of a perfectly fine aeroplane... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...once was enough for me. Landing in those trees really had little to do with it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

DaveT

Enlightened
I did it twice, about 6 and 7 years ago. It was amazing. I'd recommend researching a bit and picking where you go carefully - I had a very good experience at a very well-run facility. I'd suggest you get a word-of-mouth recommendation from someone who'd used the facility, and perhaps recommend the actual person you'd tandem jump with - that can make a big difference in the experience. Also, if you're going to do it, getting it videotaped is something I'd suggest...you may well never do it again, and although I think it was a bit expensive (something like $150 for me to jump, and something like $50 for the video guy to jump at the same time) - it's really a keepsake that can't be replaced.
My 2 cents
Dave

lhz

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

But ya know what Bert, I'll still try it one day. As it is I'm already jumping off perfectly good boats. What's jumping off a perfectly good plane? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlite

Enlightened
I tried it once about two years ago. I went solo but I was tethered to the plane so that my chute would open automatically. I landed hard and was dragged through a bean field for about 20 yards. The landing messed up my knee. I'm glad I experienced it but once was enough.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
I've checked into this fairly extensively as I have a friend/former coworker who is a skydive instructor. I also have a friend who did it and insisted it was wonderful!

You can jump one of two ways as a first-timer - either tandem (strapped to another person), or from a static-line where your chute opens automatically, like what flashlite described. If you do a static line jump, you can expect about 5 hours for ground training before the jump. If you do tandem, it only takes about an hour or less of groundtime beforehand. At least, that is what I understand. I know there are weight restrictions which I think may be more strict for static-line jumps.

I'm pretty sure I'd never do it, but I've thought about buying a jump as a gift for my husband.

2dim

Enlightened
I recommend a hot air balloon ride instead. Not only can the two of you fly together, you'll get to toast with the traditional bottle of champagne after landing. Besides, it lasts longer...

mapson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight_widow said:
I've checked into this fairly extensively as I have a friend/former coworker who is a skydive instructor. I also have a friend who did it and insisted it was wonderful!

You can jump one of two ways as a first-timer - either tandem (strapped to another person), or from a static-line where your chute opens automatically, like what flashlite described. If you do a static line jump, you can expect about 5 hours for ground training before the jump. If you do tandem, it only takes about an hour or less of groundtime beforehand. At least, that is what I understand. I know there are weight restrictions which I think may be more strict for static-line jumps.

I'm pretty sure I'd never do it, but I've thought about buying a jump as a gift for my husband.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...reading your last sentence and then your username... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

scuba

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should! I was one of the best gift that I've ever received!

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
[ QUOTE ]
mapson said:
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight_widow said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...reading your last sentence and then your username... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I get first dibs..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G Pilot

Enlightened
I flew jump planes for 4 years and all I have to say is that was the most dangerous thing I've ever done in an airplane. Those guys are a different breed. Planes were always under maintained, all the profits went into skydiving and maintenance came last. I finally called in and told them I could fly until some issues were dealt with. Never called me back.