Competition, speculation and respect

2dim

Enlightened
Recently a thread was closed here that I was quite interested in. It was regarding competition between two companies and the relative value of their similar products. Unfortunately, some comments had become what could be called mean-spirited. I'm reminded of certain sports "fans" of ill repute that riot and create chaos under the guise of supporting their team. Such is the inherent danger of needless speculation that inevitably leads nowhere, but often arouses bad feelings. For the thankfully few that appear to feed off this, that might actually be the point, whereas the rest may seek truth with an altogether different motivation.

There is such a thing as healthy competition that targets the product features and prices of similar companies, to the benefit of both. Accusing one manufacturer of going for the jugular of another appears to me more like bloodlust from rabid spectators. Anyone else notice the relationship between "speculation" and "spectator"? Neither demands genuine personal committment and integrity, which is essential for those who do the real producing and selling, as opposed to those watching and waiting in salivatory anticipation. A little respect, understanding and empathy can go a long way.

I find this a mostly respectful, even kind-hearted forum, rather unique in the virtual internet world, where anonymity is easily abused. For that and much more I'm very grateful to all concerned, especially perhaps the moderators/administors. If topics get shut down, there usually are rational valid reasons behind what can seem an arbitrary action. Of course, my interpretations are only that, but hopefully these comments may be conducive towards further productive discussions that won't become too negative and thus self-limiting, regardless of the topic.

indenial

Enlightened
Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in the world you describe. Alas, such is not the nature of capitalism. Never has been; and the world of flashlights is no exception. For better or worse, small businesses fail regularly in America.

Regarding any disrespect, I have clarified my statement was intended to be ironic. Hard feelings may or may not be engendered, but that says more about the reader than anything else.

Having said that, I could choose to read your comments as extraordinarily judgmental and even condescending. I shall not, however, reciprocate.

BTW, I don't believe this thread belongs in this forum. I assume it will either be locked or moved forthwith. Carry on!

2dim

Enlightened
"Having said that, I could choose to read your comments as extraordinarily judgmental and even condescending. I shall not, however, reciprocate."

Guilty to all of the above, of course. Taking it personally however was your call, not mine, since it was not addressed to you or any other particular person. You may want to consider why you assumed it was...but that, too, is up to you alone.

When I talk like that, it's more to remind myself than others. Yes, I'm an idealist and therefore usually disappointed. Such are the breaks, eh? Freedom of expression is perhaps the most important of all, maybe even the basic foundation.

Still, like the rest it comes with the need for exercising individual responsibility, or else we all end up losing. Who enjoys having their conversation abruptly shut off? My faith is that we are all capable of far than we choose to be, for whatever reasons.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
You might click on the "underground" link near the top of the page if you want to venture into territorry that usually shuts down threads.