Flashlight Reliability

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
I was concerned after reading jayflash's thread "Sudden Cell Death & LEDs".

One of the reasons I started frequenting CPF was the need for a flashlight to carry in the tankbag of my motorcycle. The one I had been carrying was a Brinkman XL incandescent. It had been working fine, very bright when last used. However, the next time I turned it on, the light was an unusable, a barely visible dim yellow color (I thought lithiums had a ten year shelf life).

So I'm thinking that an LED flashlight with a lithium battery should be as foolproof as possible but now I'm wondering.

Is there a flashlight that has 99.99999 % reliablity? ...or am I dreamin'.

Certainly the military and law enforcement have such a need.

Any suggestions or recommendations? ...other than carry more than one flashlight (I already do that.)

JB

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your flashlight with the lithium batteries has 99.99999% reliability but you so happened to be unlucky and the 0.00001% hit you by having the batteries die prematurely.

paulr

Flashaholic
Li batteries crap out unexpectedly now and then. The answer is: carry spares.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Two is one and one is none." I'll second that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am sitting here with a C. Crane Trek2 LED flashlight (AA batteries) and one of the 5mm LEDs is strobing. After a minute, the LED actually goes out completely. (Note: Yup, it just died, leaving its LED partner shining on.) I haven't even used this flashlight since I bought it--not bright enough for my purposes. I think flashlights are unreliable by nature (including the brands that hype their reliability--you know who you are.) Carry two when it counts.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
My outlook: two is one and one is none

[/ QUOTE ]
lightemup, I like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Being a novice flashaholic I'm not familiar with those companies that tout their reliability.

Perhaps the question should have been:

Are there flashlights that are known for their reliabitliy "in the field" or flashlights that should be avoided?

For example, the recent thread about the flashlight failures used by the military in Afganistan.

JB

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings, jbfla, welcome to the CPF.

I'll third the "two is one" credo. If you rely on having a functional light for safety or a job, two lights is considered minimum insurance - along with spare lamps (if incandescent) and cells.

Your lithium cells pooped out because they had been used and probably for an extended run at some point. Alkaline and rechargeable cells can, also, suddenly die; reliability can only be attained by carrying extra cells.

Reaper

Enlightened
I must be really lucky. I also have a C.Crane light but I've fogotten what model it is. Brighter than heck 3xAA's with 3 leds, kept in my truck and only used once when I first bought it back in the '84 (?). Never changed the batteries and it's still good according to my el cheapo Sears battery tester. However, I think I had better change them. 20 years on the original batteries is definately pushing it.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
jbfla: if the lights absolutely, positively, have to work, try a Surefire, but even they can fail. The advice to carry two of them, that is the only way to make sure you will have them when you need them. Heck, carry three if you can afford it.

I know someone who carries TWO Surefire G2s in his car. When asked why he mentioned that not only does the second G2 serve as a spares carrier for two cells, it also houses a spare P60, a spare bezel, spare tailcap, spare body in a ready-to-go configuration...... that's a heck of a way to ensure you will have spare everything when you need it.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello JB,

Most flashlights are reliable, and all flashlights will have problems.

When I get a new light, I carry it around for a while to get to know it. This should give you an idea of how it will work in the future.

I have picked up several of the 20 for $20 key chain lights and scatter them everywhere. I have been amazed at how durable those lights are.

Some people carry two of the same light. That gives you a complete set of spare parts.

Tom

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I have needed lighting tools FAR MORE OFTEN than I have EVER needed my firearms. My Unit, as do several others in my Division, have Polystingers issued to the cars, but when you are at a scene at night and need to use your lighting tool for a long time, eventually even the Polystinger has to go onto the charger.

I have my own Pelican M6 xenon, Spyder, 3 C Mag, 3 D Brightstar and a 1M cp cordless spotlight as back-ups, plus at least one Dorcy 9" LED safety wand for traffic control.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SJACKAL said:
And also as a light for another person?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it, the Significant Other may have something to do with it.... hmmmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

goldfish

Newly Enlightened
I just got one of The Converted minimags from www.NERDNIK.COM about a month ago and use it every day at work. It has proved itself to be extremely reliable so far, and cost effective too. I dropped it on the shop floor twice and it fell off a lift once. After holding my breath for a moment each time I realized it was fine. Would have had to replace the bulb at least twice by now If I bought an old school Mag.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the biggest problems in an emergency is the reliability of the training and practice you've had, and the maintenance you've done. It's obvious that the worst time to learn how to use or fix something is when it has got to work to save your hide or someone elses.

I choose most things I buy by how they're going to hold up under stress. Quality items are usually hefty, don't rattle, and do at least a bit more than you expect.

But I really like to play with my toys as often as I can (and why does the power usually go out during daylight?). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well... A nuclear blast sends out a large ray of EMP. This would destroy all regulation ciruitry in the L series. So... the L's arent good if a nucear detonation is imminant.

-tom

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you're kidding, but a sealed, conductive enclosure will shield against EMP. Real systems have problems shielding things like cables which have to go through a conductive case, but something like a flashlight can simply wrapped in aluminum foil (or a fully enclosed metal container) and be pretty well protected against EMP.

How well You're going to do if your flashlight needs EMP protection is another question... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is of course no 100% in the real world, but I thing the elements of reliability in a single flashlight/package (a second flashlight and extra batteries will always increase reliability) are:

Twisty, not clicky switch (fewer moving parts)

Lithium batteries

LED, not incand

Direct drive (no electronics)

So - my thought - something like the CMG Reactor 2 with 2 lithiums would be high on the list, or a Gerber LX1 with 2 lithium AAs and a dummy (if that works-don't know).

I put Haveblue's Xnova AA's with a lithium cell in our cars' glove compartments - and that's been good so far.

But these maxiumum reliability concepts give something up if you also want to use it regularly (like cost to run). So think it through and take your pick. You'll (probably) be OK...

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
nerdgineer, my thoughts exactly:

Twisty, not clicky switch (fewer moving parts)
Lithium batteries
LED, not incand
Direct drive (no electronics)

Is there an easy way to tell if an LED light is regulated or direct drive?

Size is also a consideration for motorcycle travel...rule out multiple C and D cell lights.

Waterproof or resistant would be a plus.

So, besides the CMG Reactor 2 and Gerber LX1, are there any others that that fit the above requirements?

JB

goldfish

Newly Enlightened
I know that the www.nerdnik.com light I have meets nerdgineer's criteria For reliability.
It has a bezel twist switch not clicky,
It is direct drive,
It is white led,
It works great with the E2 lithiums,
And it is as water resistant/ proof as the minimag ever was

Latest posts