My apologies to HDS Systems

nonbox

Banned
My apologies to HDS Systems. I stated in another thread that the HDS Systems edc is more expensive than the Arc 4 and I was wrong. The HDS Systems edc is lower in price than the Arc 4.

The HDS Systems edc is cheaper and is brighter.

Is the HDS Systems edc offer with out the tail guard?
I would like to see a version with out so much knurling.

This is an email I received from Henry at HDS Systems:

I think if you look at both web sites you will see that the price of the EDC Basic is $60 less than the Arc4 - the EDC Basic is listed at $120 while the Arc4 is listed at $180. Even comparing the EDC Extreme, which is the closest match to the Arc4, you will see that the EDC Extreme is $20 less than the Acr4 and is 30% brighter as well as having more advanced features (not all are currently documented in the
published manual, but will be shortly). The EDC Ultimate is a close match to the announced Arc5 and is still $55 less expensive.

The mismatch in the color is related to the fact that the parts were anodized by different companies to different specifications. The production parts should match very closely - and the photos will be updated to reflect this shortly.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Nonbox,

Thank you for posting the corrections.

The tail guard is a standard feature of all the EDC-series flashlights - it is not an option and is not removable. The flat surface provided by the tail guard makes a great tail stand allowing the light to bounce off the ceiling and gently illuminate a large area.

In regards to the "too much knurling", can you tell me how much knurling you think would be appropriate? Or what you would change about the knurling? Any suggestions will be considered for future products.

Henry.

Catman10

Enlightened
Could someone please direct me to anywhere that I can find additional information on these lights, ie. size, pics, etc. I couldn't find any on the HDS website.
Thanks

2dim

Enlightened
Hi Henry,

Good to have you aboard and open to suggestions. Would you be willing to negotiate group buys from CPF members? If so, must we all order the same model, color, features, etc.? BTW, my preference is HA natural and I like the knurling just fine, however...

RY3

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
catman10 said:
Could someone please direct me to anywhere that I can find additional information on these lights, ie. size, pics, etc. I couldn't find any on the HDS website.
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
There is a thread in theManufacture Forum

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
2Dim,

Let us think about that for a bit and see what we come up with. It won't be immediately in any case. If you have a specific proposal, e-mail support.

Henry.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
HDS_Systems said:
Nonbox,

The tail guard is a standard feature of all the EDC-series flashlights - it is not an option and is not removable. The flat surface provided by the tail guard makes a great tail stand allowing the light to bounce off the ceiling and gently illuminate a large area.

In regards to the "too much knurling", can you tell me how much knurling you think would be appropriate? Or what you would change about the knurling? Any suggestions will be considered for future products.

Henry.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I jump in on this one also?

My main problem with the over knurling is that IMO it makes the light unattractive looking. While performance will be the same, I think it would look so much nicer with only slight knurling. Just enough so that it can help grip it. Maybe 20% of the body would be enough (instead of the current nearly 100%)?

Looks aside, that seems like a nice light (the Basic version). I will preorder one soon.

nonbox

Banned
357, I agree with you about the knurling.

A groupbuy is a great way to get the word out on this light.

Is the EDC Basic bigger or smaller in circumference than an Arc 4? Is the EDC Basic longer or shorter in length than an Arc 4?

HDS_Systems

Enlightened

Thanks for the feedback on the knurling. Nonbox also.

Nonbox,

The diameter and length are nearly the same - 1 inch in diameter by 3.2 inches long (25.4mm diameter x 82mm). In the other thread, there is a side-by-side photograph making it easy to see.

Henry.

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
this is a comparison pic of the arc4 and the EDC
EdcComparison.jpg

looks to be bout the same lenght as the arc4....only with a tail guard

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Catman10,

I can confirm there will be an optional lanyard ring that goes around the knurled waist. It works well with either a neck or wrist lanyard, one of which will be supplied with the ring. Normally, you would remove the pocket clip when using the lanyard ring.

You can also attach a lanyard to the pocket clip itself. I expect to have the finished pocket clips early next week so I'll update the photos. They are stainless steel with black zinc. The lanyard rings are also stainless steel with black zinc.

Henry.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
[ QUOTE ]
HDS_Systems said:
Nonbox,

Henry.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I jump in on this one also?

My main problem with the over knurling is that IMO it makes the light unattractive looking. While performance will be the same, I think it would look so much nicer with only slight knurling. Just enough so that it can help grip it. Maybe 20% of the body would be enough (instead of the current nearly 100%)?

Looks aside, that seems like a nice light (the Basic version). I will preorder one soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the main issues I had with the ARC4 in use in the field was its whimpy knurling (think grip) and non-existant areas. I dropped it on many occasions, and when my hands were covered with mud, I found it very difficult to hang on to. I'd surely welcome a more aggressive knurling with a raised diamond pattern over the *entire* body. Something that looks and feels more like a tool. Flat-top diamond markings just don't cut it.

Now, if I was a desk jockey, or spent all my time indoors, and didn't use it in the field, then I'd want something much like what you described.

This is what they look like when you really use them:
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/arc4_1/triparc.jpg

sithjedi333

Enlightened
I agree, more knurling is better, though it will wreak havoc with the pants, it will be much more functional. The hell with aesthetics.

Azure

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I'd like more aggressive knurling too. With the small body and relatively stiff switch on the Arc4, the flashlight will just shoot out of my hand sometimes when I try to use it with wet hands.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
The knurling......Hmmm...... I think somewhere out there there's a good compromise between a nail file and a slight etching. Using two better known lights as examples:

Fire~Fly II - Feels like a nail file. Way too agressive in my opinion.

Arc4 - Just about right.

Arc LS - A little bit on the weak side.

The fact of the matter is, I never have a problem getting a grip on any of my lights, so function isn't a problem - it's the feel. The knurling on my Arc4 feels pretty good. I hate the nail files wrapping my Fire~Fly II (but I love the light otherwise - that's why it's my EDC!).