Surefire L2

Andy_Hutch

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Just got the L2 and what a good torch it is too. Does anyone know where the regulation takes place, in the tailcap or at the +ve end of the battery, on low it whistles (inductor etc ?) but has anyone done a mod so a l2 head goes onto a maglite body ? I do like the l2 !

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF Andy!

The regulation takes place in the magic coffin at the bezel end of the body.
The magic coffin looks like this of the L1:
IMG_4466.JPG

The TailCap has 'magic' in it for the two-stage switching.

The L2 bezel is "dumb" and an adapter to mate the L2 bezel with a MagLite body would need to have some electronics in it I would have thought.

Quite why you'd want to put an L2 bezel on a MagLite body a mystery to me...

Al

Andy_Hutch

Newly Enlightened
Well, there is a lot of light of the L2 best I have seen in the UK. But the lifetime is 60mins on high. I thought about something that would give me the option of using batteries with a larger capacity or a car ciggy lighter.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC runtime falls far short of 60 minutes. What would be really cool (I know this probably won't happen but...) is for someone to make a Li-Ion tube for the L2. I thought I remember back that the L2 body is similar in size to the A2 and that it won't take Li-Ion cells. Another cool thing would be to make a 2-Li-Ion cell holder for the A2. But alas, I'll just keep dreaming.

K-T

*Moderator*
I think it is a demo light from pk and SureFire - that one is still working. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yeah, it was a half price sale from the SureFire proto-type shop. PK picked a few up cheap. K-T is right - It works (and so does the A2 that had the same treatment). I know because that L1 is being held in my grubby paws in that photo...