Flashaholic Reality Show Idea

DaveT

Enlightened
Just an idea - all these reality shows with people trying to get Trump to hire them, eating bugs or some other disgusting thing, why not a flashaholics reality show?
I think my favorite "template" for reality shows is along the lines of "Junkyard Wars," "Iron Chef" or "Ready, Set, Cook."
I'd suggest that modders (teams and/or individuals) get a task to build a different light each week, to meet some specific niche (lantern, variable output, etc.) or benchmark (certain throw, certain brightness) or whatever - put out useable light for the longest time, etc.
I think we'd need a team of judges that would probably have to be the community's accepted masters (sort of like having the Iron Chefs be the judges) just so that we have someone who knows what they're talking about set the parameters for each contest and judge the results.
I think it would be cool if it worked kinda like some of the national science contests work - each team or individual gets a standardized bag/box of goodies to work with, including a handful of stock lights to be used as potential hosts, or in other challenges they'll get stocks of metal to be machined into bodies (or, perhaps, they can all get squashes of equal weight to serve as the host? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
They get the task explained at the same time, get a day or two of work time to do it, and they're all handed the same bag of stuff to work with.
I think I'd prefer to see it done more "on the cheap" - like Junkyard Wars, rather than providing folks with titanium tubes for hosting and exotic-binned LEDs that no one can get ahold of...I kinda like the quick-and-dirty spunkiness of JW.
And as far as a carrier - why not TechTV? Reality shows are supposed to be pretty cheap to produce, and it's not any more of a niche than some of the car shows ala "Pimp My Ride," etc.
So, would anyone else watch this show?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Organize a flashaholic gathering, do the challenge, videotape it and webcast it.... we would /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt_j

Enlightened
Contest!!!!!!!!!!!!

Event 1
Geocaching at night with flashlights

Event 2
Set a board 100 yards away in total darkness and light it up with your light and read whats on it

Event 3
carry the most flashlights without them being seen

Event 4
fastest flashlight draw... two people facing each other and their clothes are lined with lightsensitive cells. Whoever "hits' them first with a beam wins.

Event 5
Build a flashlight from scratch. It will be a timed competition but whoever makes the strongest light wins.

Event 6
Show creative way of using a flashlight.

Matt