CCFLs rock!

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry for the childish subject name but its true!

I just found myself a CCFL/Xenon combo torch for $12 and I'm very much impressed by its tiny little tube.

According to the store, it'll run for over 12 hours on 4AA batteries meaning that it only uses around 1 watt(!).

Even with the paltry watt it puts out a lot of light, pretty much on par with a 2 watt 2D Eveready I have.

Amazing.
grin.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't understand why CCFT couldn't be more popular especially for outdoor activities. It's small, bright, white and pretty shockproof. The only drawback I see is its non-replaceable tube. Once it is broken, the light is gone.

Alan

Mike

Newly Enlightened
Someguy, are you talking about the Energizer ARCWhite?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

No we don't yet have the ArcWhite in Australia. It a torch from a local electronics chain.

"The only drawback I see is its non-replaceable tube"..... well there's always the colour rendition. I was quite surprised to see how high the colour temperature is. But hey, for the amount of light it gives out, its barely a minor annoyance !

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can think of another possible drawback - their electronicss. The CCF tubes I get around here need a converter(and inverter?) and don't take "direct drive" from batteries like bulbs and LEDs. Kinda like the ballasts for fluorescent/PL tubes. Input is 12V. Dunno if its because they aren't built to very high standards or anthing, but the electronics in all past portable mini-fluorescent lites I ever had always gave out (even with care and minimal use) after about 3-4 years.