Official Results: EverLED + LDF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed the EverLEDs that UPS just delivered into 2 of my large Maglites. Both Maglites already have the UCL-LDF lens on them. The result?

Awesome. The EverLED beam is relatively white (one looks slightly green when compared to the other, but both look white by themselves). The UCL-LDF gives you excellent beam quality.

So, I've turned two of my large Maglites (one 2C, one 4D) into very bright LEDs with excellent beams. I'm happy, to say the least.

Every single C and D cell Maglite I own is eventually going get this modification.
You guys realy have me hooked on customizing my lights.

So, two key mods I really like:

For C and D cell Maglites: EverLED + UCL-LDF lens

For AA Maglites: Terralux + Borofloat LDF lens (the UCL-LDF is sold out in this size, but the Borofloat works awesome too).

I will probably mod half of my AA Minimags for the Opalec, and the other half with the Terralux + LDF. Several of my AA Maglites are already modded in both configurations, but my ultimate goal is to no longer have any stock (unmodified) Maglites.

Both these mods give you excellent beam profile, and good flood brightness. On the 4D Maglite, you also get some throw using the EverLED plus UCL-LDF.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
beamshots! beamshots!

[/ QUOTE ]

Love to, but I have no digital camera. One of my next priorities is to get a digital camera, and as soon as I do I post beamshots.

A few notes on output:

The 2C is noticably brighter going from stock bulb to EverLED.

The 4D is noticably DIMMER going from stock bulb to EverLED.

This suggests that the EverLED is probably set to max out at a certain level (maybe at 3 cells)? I guess the advantage of the larger number of cells is mostly runtime?

2C vs. 4D: the 4D is brighter than the 2C (both with EverLEDs). The 4D is also whiter (very white), and the 2C has green tint (slight).

With the EverLED, the black hole shows up a lot more at wider settings (than the AAs modded with the terralux). Maybe the larger reflector of the C/Ds has more trouble at wider settings? I can only get a slight increase in beam width before the black hole shows up, although its certainly not as bad a black hole as the C or D stock bulb.

With the AA Teralux mod, the black hole barely shows up and only at the highest width settings.

All the above mods appear to be best at flood. Lighting up a room is easy with the above mods. Sending a beam 100 yards down an open field however is not possible with this mod. I'm not saying that throw is terrible, but if you're use to being able to fire your 4D Maglite accross a large field forget about it with this mod. With the 4D Maglite, I'd say this is at max a 25-40 yard thrower.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the EverLED seems to be capped at its maximum 1W output, not enough heatsinking to overdrive it to crazy levels like some of us do (Lux3 at 1.2 amps in my 4D.. HEH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif). I got that off flashlightreviews.com while checking out the results for a friend, and I think more cells = more runtime. The power's gotta go somewhere.

I saw the Japanese review of the UCL-LDF, and like they say pictures are universal despite the fact I can't read a word of it. The UCL-LDF is very impressive because it is almost completely clear, with just a slight coat of frosting. If they didn't put the words below it, I wouldn't notice at first glance. I'm really tempted but the rubber band + cheap plastic as a field-removable beamshaper is calling me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you find lux 3 upgrades for the C/D Maglites?

If the heatsinking allows it (I don't want to compromise bulb life), I'd consider trying one of them out.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I'm doing involves a little bit of hacksawing and soldering. If you can cut thru plastic, and solder a couple of connections, you can benefit from a *REALLY* bright mod. I've documented it in the OA4D Cookbook in my sig. You can safely run at very high power levels and realize the full 3W of power.

*edited* I'm now aware of some drop-in 3W Luxeon modules if you don't feel like cutting up your Mag. See subsequent posts by the enlightened /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:...there are no commercial drop-in mods that I'm aware of.

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Inretech has a few "drop-ins" for D cell Mags.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
*smacks self* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

Sorry! I always think of Inretech's Trilight3, which is a 3x3W and really needs NiMH to fulfil its potential, completely forgetting their basic TriLight. The Diamond 3W looks interesting too. Learn something new every day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, 357. good info.

i have modded 2 mags: the first was a mag 3-d with 2 luxeon star/o driect drive. it makes a serious wall of light.

the other is with a 2-d, sleeved to hold 3-c cells, direct drive 1w hd and nx05. great light, very bright.

i would really like to make some of the mag mods that use the big reflector. not sure who posted it, but you can get an idea of how well a high dome works with the stock large mag reflector by slipping the reflector over a minimag equipped with a sammich.

the result is an amazingly tight beam, wuth HUGE spill.
the lux readings go through the roof (like 2000lux with a 1w driven to spec!). i think someone makes a special heatsink which allows the use of the big mag reflector--i need to buy a couple!

oh yeah, i dont have a PM6 LED, but i have the TL2 LED, and the throw on those little buggers are amazing.

regardless, i think the Everled and LDF would be a GREAT combo. simple, regulated, very bright and reliable!

i do wish they made a high dome version...

Bob

Niko

Newly Enlightened
I see many people who post looking for a everled with a HD (High Dome) why is that? What advantages do you think a HD will have over the SE (side emitter)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Niko said:
I see many people who post looking for a everled with a HD (High Dome) why is that? What advantages do you think a HD will have over the SE (side emitter)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

if a high dome is placed in the "sweet spot" of a mag reflector, the beam is awesome. very tight and bright central spot, with very bright surround.

just a preference thing, i guess! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the High Dome advantage is better beam quality.

Some of the low dome or side emitting LEDs (Terralux for example) IMO have terrible beam quality if you don't correct for it (with a LDF lens and/or a textured reflector).

coachbigdog

Enlightened
If you want throw,get a ledcorp 4cell.It's a high dome.I have one in a mag2c running off of 2x123 and it throws like a Lambda Promag.The Everled being a side emitter doesn't throw as well.Also my Ledcorp is white.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
If you want throw,get a ledcorp 4cell.It's a high dome.I have one in a mag2c running off of 2x123 and it throws like a Lambda Promag.The Everled being a side emitter doesn't throw as well.Also my Ledcorp is white.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brightguy is selling the Ledcorp Epieon unit for $23.00 as a close out item.

Mike