New Photon Fusion cover AND battery pack?

Forge

Newly Enlightened
It's well known by the CP forum regulars that a better battery cover for the Photon Fusion is in the works.

I thought I read somewhere that they were also redesigning the entire battery pack???

What's the truth here and when is this going to be done? I'd like to purchase some more Photon Fusions but am waiting until they rework is done.

Forge

Newly Enlightened
*shameless bump*
grin.gif

Forge

Newly Enlightened
Another shameless bump.

Surely someone knows the status of the Photon Fusion.
grin.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forge:
I've got plans to get another couple of Photon Fusions. I wonder when it will be "safe" to order them.

I've already got one unit with the mickey-mouse cover and don't want two more.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The obvious problem is that while Photon may have the new battery case/cover parts in stock, most, if not all, resellers will have the older design for some time to come.

Photon has been very up front about this problem, and will replace any of the older ones that suffer a break at the battery cover latch (wink, wink; nudge, nudge; know what I mean?) (Shamelessly stolen from Monty Python...) But it's a nuisance because of the down time. I lost power for awhile this weekend, and I *really* missed the Photon Fusion headlamp.

Despite all the problems I've had, I still think the light has many, many unique and innovative, and very well thought out and useful features.

Once the battery cover/latch is taken care of (and probably a little better QC on the raw materials used to make this battery case and bracket that holds the straps to the battery case) the Photon Fusion will not have this weak spot, and will be pretty much in a class by itself, when it comes to all the features packed into it.
shocked.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forge:
Another shameless bump.

Surely someone knows the status of the Photon Fusion.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sent the battery compartment from my Photon Fusion to Photon (LRI Inc.) on April 26th. I have had one battery cover latch break, after I opened it about 5-6 times. I was aware of the problem with the battery cover latch, and I tried to be as careful as possible. Nice plan.....
mad.gif

I received a call from Photon, on April 25th; they said they had the redesigned battery cover in stock. They had promised to call me when they got it, which they did. I'm waiting for the return of my battery pack, now.
rolleyes.gif

My Photon Fusion was a real lemon:
mad.gif

1) It had one of the 6 LED's DOA when I took it out of the package.
mad.gif
Photon replaced it, of course.

2)Then the battery cover latch broke.
mad.gif
Photon replaced it also.

3)Finally, almost unbelievably, the bracket that holds the head straps to the battery case broke, the second time I took it off of the battery case.
mad.gif

This bracket, unlike the battery cover latch, is quite beefy, and looks to be a very good design. My guess is that since these are manufactured in China, mine, and some others, were manufactured using a batch of inferior plastic. This also explains why some people have had no problems with their Photon Fusions: they got some made with a better grade of less brittle plastic. I'm speculating here, of course.

Both times I had breakage, I had the headlight indoors, so cold was not a factor.

As soon as I get the battery pack back from Photon (sigh....been there before with this headlight) I'll report on what the 'new and improved' battery cover latch looks like.

My impression when the first latch broke was that only the battery cover/latch would be replaced with a cover with a stronger latch.

But it wouldn't surprise me if, in order to make the cover latch stronger, Photon had to make the little nib of plastic that the latch snaps onto stronger as well, resulting in a whole new battery pack and cover.

Photon has been pretty fast in turn around time, but I've had over 5 weeks, so far, of down time on my Photon Fusion, since I purchased it in January. A really nice headlight, but lots of problems with it.
rolleyes.gif

Forge

Newly Enlightened
I've got plans to get another couple of Photon Fusions. I wonder when it will be "safe" to order them.

I've already got one unit with the mickey-mouse cover and don't want two more.

arab

Enlightened
From LRI's bulletin board

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> New reinforced latch on Fusion battery compartment
Bryan Avery <[email protected]> -- 5/14/02 20:02

Yes, we have been getting some Fusions back with broken latches on the battery compartment. A new battery compartment with a stronger latch is now available. Most of our current stock of Fusions already has the new latch. Any Fusion owners with the older battery compartment, who have either broken the latch or are simply worried that it might break, may call LRI at 541-925-3741 to have the new battery compartment sent to them (for free of course).

-Bryan

: i noticed a crack in my photon fusions battery
: clip. i'm
: just wondering if anyone else had their
: battery clip break? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this mean that's it's now ok?

Alan RABbitte

P.S. My 100th post!!!

Gandalf

Enlightened
I received the upgraded battery case for my Photon Fusion from Photon/LRI earlier this week. The new battery cover latch is *much* heavier, and about 3 times the mass of the old one. (Guessing, of course); both thicker and wider. It looks like it should hold up *much* beter than the older design, IMHO.
cool.gif

Sorry I don't have a digital camera so I can't post any pics.
tongue.gif

tygger

Enlightened
thanks for the number. been waiting for that darn thang to come out. just called and they're sending a new battery pack, a carry bag, and a belt clip. very nice customer service. well, they should be for a 60-80 dollar headlight.

APW

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
I received the upgraded battery case for my Photon Fusion from Photon/LRI earlier this week. The new battery cover latch is *much* heavier, and about 3 times the mass of the old one. (Guessing, of course); both thicker and wider. It looks like it should hold up *much* beter than the older design, IMHO.
cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Gandalf,
Very nice to hear about the 3 x reinforcement! What about the hinge? (Any modification/improvement?)
Many Thanks
Andy
Fusionhinge.JPG

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by APW:
Hi Gandalf,
Very nice to hear about the 3 x reinforcement! What about the hinge? (Any modification/improvement?)
Many Thanks
Andy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to say, the hinge appears to be unchanged. From the way your battery hinge failed, I'm beginning to think that there is simply too much spring tension for the plastic. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to carefully remove a little of the coil springs (a few coils, a little at a time) to reduce the force on the hinge and catch. There are 6 springs keeping tension on the battery door hinge and catch; that's a lot of force.

This is something I've done on firearms, for various reasons, with good results.

One thing I'm *not* going to do is open and close the battery cover until the set of alkaline cells in it is too dim to use. I'm just happy to have it working again!
wink.gif