NERDNIK MOD5 INTRODUCTION

NERDNIK

Newly Enlightened
I want to say hi and thanks to GREENLED. Looks like you are the one that E-Mailed me and turned me on to this site. Thanks to everyone that has shown interest and support in my modest little light.

GREENLED pointed out an over site on my website were I left out Burn times from testing. I have since undated the page to help remedy this. Although I think there will be an update to that update soon.

The testing I posted was from a suicide run on the batteries while submerged in about 6 inches of water in a tub. The light failed just after 5 hours of use. I got home from the office tonight and decide to run a dry test on a light. It started at 7:05pm and it still going on.

It is now 12:05pm and the output is still at just over 75% on the light meter. I think the discrepancy may have been that the first test failure on the light may have been due to moisture working its way into the case. It now seems that the light will burn a usable beam for much longer than during the wet test. Ill update as the Info is available to me. I am not sure I will be able to continue this test to failure tonight as it is late and I have to be at the office early morning tomorrow. I promise to repeat the dry test with fresh Batts as soon as possible.

I also Updated the fact that I have only been offering my modded lights as a complete unit for the past couple of months. I took GREENLED's suggestion a decided to offer just the drop in led cluster without the case. Updated prices for that are on the site.

I just want to say that there are a lot of great mods out there that I am very impressed with. Kudos to all the pioneers out there bringing what I think is a superior light technology to the public. I have never liked incandescent bulbs and avoid there use whenever possible. The ingenuity and creativity of some of the modders products I have seen so far is inspiring to say the least. People now have a myriad of options to choose from to fit the specific needs and application purposes of the end user

QUICK SPECS:

NERDNIK MOD5
Mini_Maglite Case
5 Ultra Bright White LEDs
Simple circuit unregulated board
Twist bezel switch
Water resistant ( has all the original Maglite seals in place)
5 hours burn time above 75% (final testing will be posted later)
I include Batteries and nylon sheath with every order (E2s are available on request)

I decide to make these without a dc/dc due to the fact that I like being able to reap the benefits of my E2 Lithiums on the beam and the burn time rather than just the burn time with the regulator. Some people will agree with me others wont. Its really a personal preference you need to decide on. Plus I like having plenty and I mean plenty of battery drainage warning rather than just failure when the voltage drops below the regulators capacity. Again a personal preference.

Also reliability was a big factor when I was designing this mod. I decided that extra circuit technology was just that much more that can break when dropped or fail for whatever reason. I wanted to make a light that could be thrown against the wall, picked up and turned on. Don't even think about doing that with an incandescent.Simplicity on the circuit was the key (KISS method).

This is really all I can think to say right now its very late and I am very tired. Sorry this has been such a long winded post but I thought it was necessary for a first time introduction of myself and my mod.

Thanks for reading my post and viewing my site. I wish all collectors and innovators on this board the very best.

Its nice to see that the days of the modest garage tinkering innovators are not over.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Dr. Victor Von Nerdnik (or is this Chris),

Goldfish has been singing your products praises ever since he got here. I kind of wondered if he was the manufacturer, turns out he's not. But he's the one who got some of us yacking about it.

Hope you stick around and join in ..... lots!

Mike

NERDNIK

Newly Enlightened
I think I will stick around for awhile sithjedi333. After all great mind really do think alike. Of course if you ask my wife she will say that strange minds think alike as well. But thats another matter.

GRENLED told me about goldfish and I forgot to thank him for saying kind things about my lights. I do humbly appreciate all compliments to me or my brain child.

BTW I forgot to mention in the above post ( mainly because I am steadily slipping into a tired state of delirium) that I would like to know who I could send a sample of my light to so that it can be comparison tested against the other mods out there for public review/ scrutiny. I will check the board in the morning when I get to my office and begin savoring that first cup of Columbian grown coffee for the day. Any advice you all can offer would be eagerly received.

Good night a best wishes to all.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hi Nerdnik,

A bright welcome to CPF! Indeed, there are a lot of great, strange minds around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am glad you decided to join and hope you have as much fun here as we all do.

May I suggest that you send a message to fellow CPF'ers "the_led_museum" and "quickbeam"? Best reviews out there. Their info is:
ledmuseum.home.att.net (e-mail: [email protected])
flashlightreviews.com (e-mail: [email protected])

I see you updated your website. Cool! Thank you very much for your nice words, I'm flattered.

NERDNIK

Newly Enlightened
I will defiantly contact one of them once I get home this evening and have a moment to compose a request that they perform a third party product review on my creation. Or maybe one of them will read this before then and respond to my interest on the board.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'll field this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'll evaluate the product as soon as I receive it. No delays.
Please send it to:

Craig Johnson
The LED Museum
1531 1st Ave #305
Seattle WA. 98101-1557

This information is plastered all over my website; I do not object to having it on a public BBS.

If you decide to send the product to Quickbeam instead, I will not be offended.

NERDNIK

Newly Enlightened
Your The first to offer a review, ledmuseum, so you shall be the first to receive a sample product.

Please be gentle, Im emotionally very delicate and the harshest of criticism could send me into a deep psychotic delirium that could only be remedied by a full frontal lobe lobotomy and a permanent residence in a state funded sanitarium, remaining catatonic for the rest of my sad natural life.

Thanks

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
ROTFLMFAO!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

I'll evaluate it as soon as I receive it, and I promise to be gentle - at least relatively so - with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NERDNIK

Newly Enlightened
BTW:
I wanted to issue an early happy birthday for tomorrow.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif
Hope your day is as pleasant and relaxing as every birthday should be.