Which is brighter LB micra or Q-III

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
wondering how these two compare in power output, brightness, beam type, and throw. Any comment on quality is nice too. thanks. VDG

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate these comparison threads, though the Longbow Micra is a 1W Luxeon and the Quantum III is a 3W Luxeon. Most of the reviews I've seen say bad things about the Longbow's QC (off-center hotspots and LEDs are mentioned in at least two of the ones I've seen), but that its brightness is approximately that of an ARC 4+ (though they don't mention what mode the ARC is in).

The main advantage to the Longbow Micra series is that it's highly modular - add an ECO tube, change the head, and you've got a different flashlight. The ARC's less morphable - you can change the tube and the switch, but the head stays the same. The Micra's also a simple on-off light, unlike the ARC 4+.

Catman10

Enlightened
In addition to this, it's hard to directly compare because the Q-III is more of a flood and the Micra is extremely focused. If you can afford it, I would get both.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
catman10 said:
In addition to this, it's hard to directly compare because the Q-III is more of a flood and the Micra is extremely focused. If you can afford it, I would get both.

[/ QUOTE ]

The old mantra. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd probably suggest an Aleph instead of the Micro, if only because of the similiar modularity that the Aleph offers, but with reputedly superior build quality.

Incidentally, I've been testing my light outside in urban conditions, and I get approximately a half-block in terms of usable throw when there aren't a lot of streetlights around. In rural conditions with less light pollution, you'll probably get better performance. The beam's not very tight, but it's highly usable nonetheless.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Voodoo/Haesslich,

In defense of LongBow (and yes we are a LongBow dealer), I have personally seen "QC" issues with only one LongBow so far. There was a problem with the clickie tailcap not working properly. As for the off centered hotspots I have not seen any nor had any of our customers complain specifically to this issue(that I can recall).

We were the first dealer in the US to sell LongBow and have sold quite a few of these lights. They make a great quality product at a fair price. If I do recall someone even nominated the LongBow in one of the other threads as their "best looking" flashlight. The fit and finish are superb. I wouldn't stake our reputation on a product that was 2nd rate.

As for the LED issue, I assume you are referring to tint if not I apologize, which all goes back to the "Luxeon Lottery". I would say that 90% of the lights we see come through here are very bright white. The remaining 10% are only noticeable when compared to another whiter/brighter flashlight.

My only point is that LongBow does make a very good quality flashlight and at the current price point it becomes an even better bargain. Please don't take my word for it...if you check the LongBow threads you will see plenty of people raving about this light.

If you have any questions or want to get in on the LongBow passaround PM/email me.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm basing this off several reviews, mind you - they note that there has been some problems with the ones they got, though I don't think they got them through Bug Out Gear.. no, scratch that - one did. These reviews were based off Google searches, however. But, like I said, the advantage to the Micra is that it's modular - get an ECO tube and booster head, and you're golden. Swap out LED modules and you've gone from a white 1W to a blue or a red one. Or switch the push-switch for a twisty.

It's a different light from the the Q-III, and can't be fairly compared as they share the use of an LED and 1x123 (without the ECO tube), and that's about it. If he wants a light to compare to the Q-III, I'd suggest using another 3W with similar characteristics, or at least a high powered 1W with the same sort of properties.

Longbow

Enlightened
Regardless of pricepoint, the Longbow Micra is the best made, most practicale, flashlight on todays market. AS far as looks, my silver and black Twisty has no rivals, IMHO.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Haesslich,

That is completely understandable. I was just offering another point of view not only as a dealer, but a flashaholic as well.

Regards,
Flavio

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
BugOutGear: No problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Still, voodoogreg's question is the sorta that kinda irks me, if only because it's comparing apples to oranges, at least in its original form. 'Power output' is not a term I'd apply to lights anyways, and all this information's available on the boards and all over the net in reviews as it is. Brightness is also something that's debatable, given how these are manufactured, unless the LEDs are handpicked.

Simply put, the LB Micra's a very modular and small light, but with an ECO tube and a change of head and LED module, can go up to 5W, which is the basis of the MAX series, IIRC. I personally also rather detest comparing premium lights like the Arc 4X with a production unit like the Q-III, if only because almost nobody can get the 4X now but everyone can get a Q-III, and they're using different technologies and techniques anyways (especially given how the bins vary even within the same category/strip).

Rant over.

alberto

Enlightened
Both the Longbow Micra and the Nuwai QIII are just about perfect lights, each with their special strengths. There's absolutely no point in trying to pick them apart by their small differences. If you're a true flashaholic, as I am, you won't be able to live without having BOTH of these fine lights. You are spending too much time and effort pretending that you would buy only one.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll have to wait for my budget to recover first. The Longbow looks interesting, especially with the MAX series that's coming out...

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haesslich, i had not known the micra was just a 1-watt. i asked comparison with the Q-III because i thought the micra was a 3-watt. My newbie mistake. i used "power output and forgot to word it"power/output". both term's i have seen used often on this BB. i too am usually not a fan of "what's better?" question's. If you ask me what's better/differance between a fender amp and a marshall, i would ask "what sounds are you after? what kinda music do you play?" so that is why the beam, power and brightness question's.
I intend on ordering one of these tomorrow, and just wanted some feedback. I am newbie to a lot of light's here, but i do what i want/like.
I prefer a brighter white, and longer throw with some decent spill. i know other's want different characteristics then I, so i just simply "ask" how it perform's. as far as dedication to the art light buying, After just buying a e2D, and re-tubing a fincky 3500$ amp (240$ right there) i am not rolling in money right this moment, and it's gonna be one light or the other. If i am not a true flashaholic for this then i guess i'm not.

Thanks for your input everyone. VDG

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Micra 2210/2310 series are 1-watt Luxeon LEDs. Beyond that, it makes as little sense to compare 3W and 5W Luxeons as it does 1W to 3W Luxeons - they'll perform differently due to design differences between the 1/3W and 5W Luxeon Star emitters.

Short form: The Longbow series of lights is VERY customizable, and you could drop a 5W in there (or so I've heard) if you felt like it, and you could change the 123 barrel for an ECO tube and throw in L91 Energizer lithium AAs. Everything can be switched out, like the Alephs that McGizmo makes. The Longbows have a fairly white beam, from what I've heard, but you can switch it out for one of the other colored modules. Also, it's more a 'spot' than 'flood', from what I've seen here.

Q-III's a different sort of beast - small, compact, and designed to be a good 'every-day carry' without the customizability that the Micra or even the Arc 4+ offers. It is, however, fairly white and fairly intense, with great spill.

The CPF answer is to 'buy both', however. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The Q-III's pretty affordable right now, and definitely cheaper than the Longbow. However, you lose all the modularity features and the booster head, which should again improve the throw on the Longbow. Up to you which you prefer, though I find my Q-III serves me well on everyday applications. It's not as bright as a Surefire L5, however. :/

But I can live with it. Maybe someday I'll get a U2 to get that 120 lumen feeling, along with some extra functionality. Or maybe a Longbow Max. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
The Micra 2210/2310 series are 1-watt Luxeon LEDs. Beyond that, it makes as little sense to compare 3W and 5W Luxeons as it does 1W to 3W Luxeons - they'll perform differently due to design differences between the 1/3W and 5W Luxeon Star emitters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh,,,,,,,,,,ya that was in your first post. you may not have seen my above post, I had thought the wattage was the same.

I am on the "list" for a Q-III, but need a smallish EDC now, since i am leaving for a road tour, and have doubt's my e2D with it's bone crushing crednulation's will pass check on at the AP.
appreciate your info, i believe i will be calling bulldog's in the morning to order a micra. VDG

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you want a Q-III quickly, I believe that Warren still has some in stock, and mine came in 4 days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Otherwise, if you're talking about the Group Buy.. well, no idea when that'll be done.

Try Warren as well, if youc an 'afford both'. The crenellation on the Q-III's not really aggressive like the E2d, which also has the 'impact hammer' end to worry about.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
Well, if you want a Q-III quickly, I believe that Warren still has some in stock, and mine came in 4 days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Otherwise, if you're talking about the Group Buy.. well, no idea when that'll be done.

Yep, the e2D does look pretty brutal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif funny, In fact 2 minute's ago i just PM'ed warren to see availablity, and price. But I say it again I AM TO BROKE FOR BOTH. VDG

Try Warren as well, if youc an 'afford both'. The crenellation on the Q-III's not really aggressive like the E2d, which also has the 'impact hammer' end to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the price on the CPF thread was $50 to Warren, and $8 to Sasha, last I looked, and he'd had a hundred of them the last time he counted. They'll still probably be there when you get back... and if not, there's that group buy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as the Max goes, the only things on their website say 'Q3 2004', though one of our members who was supposed to have been there says it's basically an ECO tube with a 5W regulated head.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif to you too! now the LB max question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif VDG