Realistic SF L2 run time?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't run through a complete set of batteries on mine yet, but based on my other 5-watt LED lights, 50 minutes sounds about right.

-Keith

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
l2-2.gif

Here's the battery discharge analysis chart of the L2 on "high", as output by my battery discharge analysis machine.
Runtime to 50% intensity was approximately 50 minutes.
It runs for 40-50 minutes in regulation, then rather rapidly decreases in brightness over the next 30 minutes.
Total runtime was 4 hours 40 minutes, using high mode.
I used SureFire brand CR123A cells (SF123A cells in the predominantly red covering).

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is really bad regulation on high. It immediately nosedives (almost right after turning it on), its not even a gradual decrease like most partial regulation. I'm very disapointed with the regulation on high, if that chart is correct for ALL Surefire L2s. Except for a brief period on the graph where the output increases for a short time, MOST OF THE TIME it is nosediving rapidly.

With that said, I recall seeing runtime charts on low beam and the output is fairly consistent for 6 hours.....

Size15's

Flashaholic
Having had a good while to use the L2, I can see how the L2 is designed and intended to run on "low beam" for the majority of the time. The high beam is like the high beam of the 10X - balls to the wall output.

Al

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
I use to carry the L4 all the time before the L2 came out. With the L4, I use to change batteries every 2 weeks. With the L2, it goes to about once a month. THe L2 seems much brighter than the L4.

K-T

*Moderator*
As with the A2, the L1 (eventhough here most of the time I found myself using the high output) and now the L2 I see lots of advantages with a two-stage switch as it gives you the ability to only use as much light as needed for certain tasks and increases the overall runtime by giving you this option.

luxlover

Banned
I wish to strongly impose my opinion on all of you. I have THE WALL OF LIGHT, THE L4. When the L2 started to disappoint me, I contemplated my naval and came up with a solution to the short runtime and long body of the L2. Don's McE2S switch, either with a Z52, a Z57, or an Aleph guarded tailcap, is the greatest thing since bologna on white bread! You get to customize the low level you want, by asking Don to either send you a stock resistor board installed, or have him build you a resistor board with the resistor you wish. I have one for my TW4 combo, and another for my PR-T-DB917/L4 combo. How can anybody go wrong with keeping the wonderful L4 on active duty 24/7? Listen up! Spruce up your E1e and E2e based lights, by getting these switches from Don. Tell him that Luxlover sent you......

PS: I don't get kickbacks from him. I am just being a good samaritan!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
But what if I don't like bologna on white bread?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif