open ya mind to music

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow i i see some many people with closed minds to music. i just for the first time am listening to clasical bach it is so amazeing..i cant get enough of it. i usaly listen to the hardest bands ya can find. but i hate to admit it but this is aweume music

verbie

Enlightened
well, i just see it as taste or preference. and yes, bach is nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost any type of music can be enjoyed. Some varieties require a longer learning period before we truly enjoy them. Then, again, there's some cRap that's being passed off as music but really isn't.

While rap and chanting may be entertaining to some people, I wonder if it can really be classified as music?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm, i'm interested to know why you think "rap is crap". just why do you dislike it, and what is your idea of rap? like what groups are you familiar with, whom are fueling your dislike of the genre?

those are a couple interesting replies in a thread titled "open your mind to music". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my 16 year old nephiew listens to rap
I have not heard one song that he has played that I liked

so why don't you tell me what rap is good I will listen to it and see if I like it

maybe some really early rap was okay but I see rap as un talented chanting especially gangsta rap crap

If it was music than I would be open to it

If I wanted to I could chant meaning less stuff to a beat.
I think country music is light years better than any rap.

If some one told me that I had a choice between slow painfull death or listening to rap 24 hours a day for a month I would say start killing me now.

Longbow

Enlightened
I agree 100% with markdi!!!!!!! If ANY of my friends or family listened to rap crap I'd start commitment procedure against them.

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
While I agree that there are a lot of rap artists that are no good, there are also some that are very innovative in what they do. Some smaller indie rap artists (i.e. MadLib) make music which is creative and very good. I listen to a wide range of music from classical to rap to experimental to Japanese noise bands to country, and while there is a lot of rap that I think is indeed cRap, there is also a lot that is very good. My recommendation is not to shut out a particular genre altogether. I used to not like classical, then someone slipped me a copy of Wendy Carlos (nee Walter Carlos, that's right a sex change) Switched on Bach (much of which was used in Clockwork Orange).
Anyhow, just my thoughts.

DasFX

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, OK, I HAVE enjoyed some rap - but very little. Some rap artists are very talented and entertaining and I respect their skills. I still maintain that some rap is more akin to speaking in tempo or a form of chanting without any melody.

Music plays a BIG part in my life and I've always had a good stereo and continue to hack away at a couple instruments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BTW the screaming, loud, noise that my folks complained about, 30 years ago, is NOTHING like the louder, screaming, hate-filled, noise of today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

capnal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
BTW the screaming, loud, noise that my folks complained about, 30 years ago, is NOTHING like the louder, screaming, hate-filled, noise of today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. There is not a whole lot on the "radio" that I can really tolerate. Almost all the music I listen to is old western swing Bob Wills type stuff and big band music from the 40's. It is pleasant and soothing to me.

As far as today's music goes, I just pretty much tune it out. I realize there are lots of (mostly younger than me) people who DO enjoy it. But, that is why they say "it's a big world". Plenty of room for lots of types. I suppose I can listen to whatever I want and ignore the rest.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not bagging on anything style of music, but I just think it is not ALL for me.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
capnal said:There is not a whole lot on the "radio" that I can really tolerate. Almost all the music I listen to is old western swing Bob Wills type stuff and big band music from the 40's. It is pleasant and soothing to me.

As far as today's music goes, I just pretty much tune it out. I realize there are lots of (mostly younger than me) people who DO enjoy it. But, that is why they say "it's a big world". Plenty of room for lots of types. I suppose I can listen to whatever I want and ignore the rest.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not bagging on anything style of music, but I just think it is not ALL for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. I used to have very eclectic tastes in music - some Celtic/Irish, classical, jazz, swing/big band, country, even some rap - but now I listen almost exclusively to swing or big band music and old country music a la Bob Wills & Marty Robbins. Occasionally I'll throw in some Beastie Boys or Sarah McLachlan or U2 for something modern, but even that is a rare occasion these days. One of my new favorite genres is WWII patriotic music - songs like "Over There" and "Ma, I Miss Your Apple Pie."

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
RAGGIE
If you're discovering classical music, you should try listening to some movie soundtracks that use a full orchestra(sp). One of the best ones is the soundtrack from TITANIC. The same composer/conductor did the soundtrack for Wrath Of Khan. It will make your skin crawl. Of course, you'll need a good stereo to get the most out of it.
CONCERNING RAP: All of the hateful cop-killer music does not deserve an open mind. There is a group that makes an interesting fusion between jazz and rap. It takes a few times listnening to the album before you start liking it. Their name is US THREE. The album I'm familiar with is called HAND ON THE TORCH. Check it out.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love music my taste now goes from blues to lazz to the heaveiest music ya ever heard bands like entombed . and i likeclasical now im listening to avril lavine she has a lot a talent,and lol i dont listen to rap, just aint what im into

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
90% of rap music is garbage. the other 10% makes it worth it for me.

look into an artist named Sage Francis and his album titled "Personal Journals". he's an extremely political-minded rap artist with a degree in journalism.

here are the lyrics to a couple of his songs (caution, a couple 4-letter words ahead):
http://www.non-prophets.com/lyrics/makeshift_patriot.html
http://www.non-prophets.com/lyrics/hey_bobby.html

reading the lyrics can't give you a full feel for the song, but @ least you know he's talking about something you're interested in, whether you agree or not. and it's good to hear his views expressed in music.

and here's an image gallery with some of his pictures: http://www.non-prophets.com/media/gallery.html#
maybe the pictures where he's wearing Metallica clothing will help you warm up to him (if that's more your type of music).

rap music is lyrically, miles and miles ahead of any other genre of music, as long as you find one of those artists in the 10% that make it worthwhile.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can beleve that some rap is good
but when I am listening to music I am not really looking for an education in politics(sorry can't spell)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Blinded, I'd say if only 10% of any genre is good, that still amounts to a lot of decent music.

The massive amount of recorded music and overwhelming number of "artists" available today means we really have to sift through too much commercial crap to get the gems.

Years back, when producing an LP (wat's THAT?) was more costly, I believe the standards were higher and a larger percentage of recorded music was better. Now, even I can issue cheap CD's - not that they'd receive air-time.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I think Rap is street poetry set to a beat. I've never thought of it as music.

Here are two dictionary definitions:

*Dictionary.com
n : genre of African-American music of the 1980s and 1990s in which rhyming lyrics are chanted to a musical accompaniment; several forms of rap have emerged

*Webster
2 a : a rhythmic chanting often in unison of usually rhymed couplets to a musical accompaniment b : a piece so performed

Brightnorm

zippo

Newly Enlightened
raggie
if you just going to classic you should looking for cd "hooked on classics", you'll love it.