Superbright SF L7, brighter than my SF L6.

Mr HG

Enlightened
I recentley got my Surefire L7 that I bought from a great guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Anyway, this thing is wicked bright! Beats my Surefire L6 thats at 1000mA. And it's right up there along with my PM6 X3U, if not brighter!
The LED has the same color as an LIII TWAK. I read somewhere that the L7 is rated at 75 lumens. IMO it's brighter than that. I'd say 100+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Does anyone know how much current thats delivered to the emitter?

/Henrik

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I think it seems that way because of the tight beam. Lumens and brightness is different.

My L5 is much more intense, but the beam is tighter. More light is collected than my L4. Same lumens, different brightenss due to beam spread.

If you take that L7 and just tighten up the beam to 1/2 the size, it will be brighter, same lumens. It's the old Lumens vs Candlepower thing..

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting...

I remember reading somewhere that the L7 is actually a KL5 head on a rechargable body... The L6 should throw further than the L7 if that is the case.. See comparison beamshots here.

Maybe you won the Luxeon lottery and actually have an X-bin in that L7, which will account for it being brighter than your L6.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Mr HG

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gregw said:
Maybe you won the Luxeon lottery and actually have an X-bin in that L7, which will account for it being brighter than your L6.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Gonna try to take some beamshots later this week.

Heck

Enlightened
This is interesting how the L7 claims 75 lumens. Are the newer models a tad brighter or is this a marketing thing for SF to try and sell the L7 which could be replaced with a L5 + Pila 168. It's already mentioned that the L5/L6 are actually driven harder than the 65 lumens stated so is the L7's rating just more closer to reality or indeed pumping 10 more lumens "on average"?

Anyway, if it is indeed brighter, then I might wait on getting the L6 I want. Supplies are dwindling for the L6 so I can only assume SF is inbetween production batches for the L6, therefore perhaps the next batch coming out will have an increased chance of brighter Luxeons? or driven a bit harder? Anyone got the inside scoop?

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF tends to rate conservatly, not the real ratings. I guess it is good, because after you get it, it is brighter then it said it was. But it is impossible to compare, and even compare SF to SF as maybe one is more conservative then the other.

Solution is to wait for a head to head here.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some one post beam shot of L6 Vs L7. Lets see...

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights