Auto Mechanic ques: changing condenser on RAV4?

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened
On my last road trip a rock put a hole in the A/C condenser on my 2001 Toyota RAV4. Evidently this is possible because of a huge design flaw with this vehicle. Toyota doesn't cover this under warranty or anything, which sucks, becuse they protect all of their other condensers with some sort of mesh screen thingamajig. Anyway, I don't have $1000 to get this replaced. I can order a new condenser online for around $150. How hard is it to replace, where can I find instyructions, are special tools required? Fluids, etc? I can change my oil and I have excellent abilities to follow directions. Any help?

cy

Flashaholic
Re: Auto Mechanic ques: changing condenser on RAV4

I would recommend doing the mechanical portion of the work and let a shop properly charge up your system.

Order the condenser online and install the condenser yourself. New units come charged with nitrogen to assure tightness and to keep out moisture.

Installing the condenser will probably require taking the front grill assembly off. A time intensive chore. Any shop will charge by what time it's going to take to finish the job.

Changing the grill/condenser will only take simple hand tools. Take extra care not to damage the fitting when connecting. If in doublt go ahead and connect the fitting to the condenser, but leave the final torquing down to the shop. If you have any problems leaking, it will be at these two connections.

Charging the system will take specialty tools most folks will not have. Vacum pump, guages, correct refrigerant, halogen leak detector etc. and most importantly knowledge to properly charge the system.

If you do all the time/labor intensive portion. The shop should only charge you for a charge & system evacuation and refrigerant. (ask what type refrigerant and if you can bring your own)

Doing it this way should save you big $$$ and you will still get a pro job.

avusblue

Enlightened

Many cars nowadays have woefully inadequate front grilles. It's a good preventive idea to install plastic gutter mesh behind the gaping lower air intake on most newer cars, just for this reason. It looks better, too.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but damage from rock impact would not likely be covered by any sort of warranty. Maybe your collision insurance could help, depending on the level of your deductible and whether you want to file a claim??

Good luck,

Dave

Al_Havemann

Enlightened

It's generally a pretty easy swap. I did the same on a Ford Aerostar van – condenser, dryer & Orifice Tube. It took about an hour to swap the condenser, a bit longer for the dryer since I didn't have the right release tool and had to make a quick trip to Autozone. The Orifice Tube took almost a full day by itself.

I blew a flush through the system then used an air driven (from compressor) vacuum pump from Harbor Freight to evacuate. I recharged it and it's been fine since. Total costs were:

$110.00 - Condenser
$ 49.00 - Air driven Vacuum pump (Harbor Freight)
$ 18.00 - Flush
$ 35.00 - Freon
$ 55.00 - New dryer
$ 12.00 - Snap ring release tool (hoses on dryer)
$ 6.00 - New Orifice Tube (or POE valve)

Total Costy - $285.00 (approximately)

It took me longer, by far, to replace the Orifice Tube than all of the other parts. The Orifice Tube (or POE valve) is located in the evaporator under the dash and it's a bear to get at. You shouldn't need to touch it.

Estimates for a shop to do the same job varied from $800 (W/O compressor, but no guarantee at all), to over $2500.00 (with 12 month guarantee). Most wouldn't do the job without replacing the compressor and POE (or Orifice Tube, in my case).

You should really consider flushing the system then replacing the dryer as well. I've found that if I cut corners, I usually pay the price in a year or two when the compressor starts to go. The flush cleans out dirt and contamination that can kill a compressor early, and the dryer should really be replaced whenever the system is opened.

Its well worth your time to do the work yourself – these day's, with labor rates at $70+ per hour, almost anything you can do is worth it.

Al

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I'm in the process of trying to track down a manual to see if this is a possibility for me to do (I'll leave charging, whatever to the pros). I don't know where the hole is and hence, where the rock came from. I guess I'll know more when I pop the thing out. Can you elborate on the plastic protecting thingie? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Though folks have hinted about keeping the system dry and the like, I don't think enough emphasis has been placed on this.

You can't leave these pipes open to the air for days as you drive around to get parts and such. The more time that air and moisture are in there the harder it will be to get it back out again and if you don't the life of your compressor will be very short.

So don't start taking it apart until you have every piece and tool you think you need to finish the job before you need to drive the car again. You might also want to also find a shop that will agree to pump down and refill it for you before you start as well. The shorter time with the system open and then filled with regular air the better. Don't skimp on the dryer!

Since the car is newer the system almost certainly uses R-134a refrigerant, which you could buy yourself. R22 or R12 for an older, pre 1994 or there abouts car, is strictly controlled and you can't purchase it without an EPA certification.

I've heard of some kits that have the oil and refrigerant all ready measured out in a can that you just connect up and open the valve. But I have no idea how good that is or if such a kit would be available for your car or not. With a residential AC system the oil in the lines is important and needs to be replaced as well, but I don't know if there is any in a car's AC system or not. But then, if you're not going to try to pump it down and charge yourself then this is not a problem, just let the guys filling it up do that, but get it filled up as soon as possible so that moisture doesn't cause a problem. And make sure that after you go to all that work that they guys filling it up pull a good vacuum in the system to get that moisture out.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened

Oh wonderful. This happened Labor Day weekend and it's been driven everyday since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cy

Flashaholic

All great feedback folks. you need to have access to a good vacum pump. Everything else can be worked around.

My personal setup is a robinair 6 CFM pump w/digital micron guage. Snap-on R134A charging guage set, D-Tek leak detector, Tif digital scale to weight the charge, Fluke 87 w/clamp temp probe, digital IR therometer, ARC AAA UV & dye, Oxy acetlene torch, etc.

Gman

Enlightened

Last I checked R12 was going for around $40/lb retail. It's leveled off but for a while it was better than the Nasdaq. I have a couple of 30 pounders I paid $150 each for a few years ago. Check Ebay and see what they're going for now. None can be made in the US but there is an ample supply of both recycled and virgin R12. And lots of it gets smuggled in through Mexico, you'd be surprised at how often R12 in quanity is found at the border.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, it's pretty amazing what banning does to the price of things. Now that only the older cars use R12, the demand side will drop the prices further.

Latest posts